What's new

Use after gastric bypass?

Ellviis

Kava Curious
Hello, so I have a friend who had gastric bypass surgery a long while ago (15 years ago).

Knowing she only gets literally drops of stomach acid in the pouch they call a stomach after surgery, how would kava affect this person? Would it absorb, going right to the intestine? Would it burn the gut lining? Would it’s numbing effect not be good for one with no actual stomach?

Just curious :pompus:she said she’ll speak with her doctor. Has anyone had this surgery and drank kava, or know someone who does?

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Hello, so I have a friend who had gastric bypass surgery a long while ago (15 years ago).

Knowing she only gets literally drops of stomach acid in the pouch they call a stomach after surgery, how would kava affect this person? Would it absorb, going right to the intestine? Would it burn the gut lining? Would it’s numbing effect not be good for one with no actual stomach?

Just curious :pompus:she said she’ll speak with her doctor. Has anyone had this surgery and drank kava, or know someone who does?
I'd be interested in any answers to this too as my wife had a gastric bypass a year or so ago.

@Ellviis my initial thoughts are that over time, and maybe especially 15 years, the stomach that is left can be stretched and the capacity can increase. I know my wife can eat a bit more than when she first had it done although it's easy for her to get nausea from eating the wrong things.

Kavaloloko

Kavaloloko Kava Co.
Kava Vendor

This seems like a tough one.. I'd definitely do some research and talk to a Doctor or two, or three just to be sure.

jonaspmd

found kava
After a quick search there seems to be no data about it, unsurprisingly. Theoretically, what changes after after gastric bypass is the volume of the stomach and bile acid metabolism. So, the questions to the doc (unlikely that they will know the answers) could be where kava is absorbed most (in the stomach or the intestines)? how bile affects kava absorption (kavalactones are lipid soluble, so there should be some role)? what type of gastric bypass was performed and if the bile diversion procedure was also done?

My gut feel (pun intended, sorry:) is that it would be safe to consume kava like any other liquid, ie how much of liquid the person can take in one go. After that many years, the size of the stomach probably have increased considerably, so there should be no issues with the volume. There could be difference with the kava absorption, but I would say starting slow and gradually increasing the amount kava until the effects are noticeable is the way to go.

One caveat is that malabsorption can be often associated with gastric bypass and kava has promotility effect (there are lot of jokes here about sipping kava while siting on the toilet). If that aggravates the malabsorption, then it could lead to nutrient imbalance, in which case benefit / risk balance is not great.

nitrex

Hello, i registered just to answer this question for you.

I have had gastric bypass 7 years ago and it was not until a few years i tried Kava.

Whenever i would generally drink Alcohol i would feel the effects immediately within 2 minutes, i would get drunk much quicker and yet sober up fast.

Now as for the Kava, i never drank it before the surgery but i can tell you this, i feel its effect within the first 5 minutes of its consumption, but according to the sources, the effects are supposed to be felt within 15 minutes but that is not the case for me. Also if i continue drinking it within the week or two i would get these strange eczema like skin issues which start from my lips, sometimes eyes and around the inner joints but would go away right away afterwards of stopping for a week.

This is my experience with it, i wonder if i can find any research or literature on this.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor

I have had gastric bypass 7 years ago and it was not until a few years i tried Kava.

Whenever i would generally drink Alcohol i would feel the effects immediately within 2 minutes, i would get drunk much quicker and yet sober up fast.

Now as for the Kava, i never drank it before the surgery but i can tell you this, i feel its effect within the first 5 minutes of its consumption, but according to the sources, the effects are supposed to be felt within 15 minutes but that is not the case for me. Also if i continue drinking it within the week or two i would get these strange eczema like skin issues which start from my lips, sometimes eyes and around the inner joints but would go away right away afterwards of stopping for a week.

This is my experience with it, i wonder if i can find any research or literature on this.
You can feel it faster, I generally feel it more or less straight away. Dry skin is a common side effect but not sure if what you had sounds more like an allergic type reaction to it?

So the main thing is it didn't have any seriously negative effects for any reason to do with the bypass. That's good to hear, thank you for taking the time to post.

Ellviis

Kava Curious

Thank you for your intel!