What's new

Using Kava to Reduce/ End Alcohol consumption

I've seen some encouraging threads on this board about this topic, but i wanted to ask a more in depth question directed at the people who went from heavy binge drinking to Kava.

I want to reduce alcohol and or end alcohol consumption, the problem is alcohol seems to be the only substance that actually relaxes me. I tried Kava a few times in the past and it had a similar effect of being at peace. But for someone who drinks too much and wants to use Kava for relaxation instead, do i need to do a clean break? what happens if the Kava is just not strong enough to relax and i still end up drinking some beer at first? Have any of you been in that situation? Did you cold turkey the alcohol and go straight to Kava or was it a transition? I have read the two are never to be mixed and then i have read some people on the islands regularly have a beer or 2 after Kava.

Any help would be appreciated, i'd like to change life for the better, just did a phone call with an older family member who was embarrassingly drunk trying to give me investment advice (lol) and im sure i'll end up like that if i don't change.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
Well. You say that you want to get relaxed. Is it relaxed or shit-faced?

It is not so subtle difference but you mentioned binge drinking which often means going through the mildly relaxing one beer, energizing and merry a few beers to coordination loss, stubidity but some real abandon and oblivion.

Tell me about quantities.

I have similar problem but maybe different, more like type I but I want energy without anxiety rather than just relax. My situation is relatively benign according to to Eastern European standards.

If you want some serious scientific contribution with references, I can do it for 100 buckaroos. I haven't read about of alcohol very much.

Last edited:
the problem is anxiety, (i should have mentioned that) its not just about "one beer and relax" or " wanting to get drunk or krunk" there are times when i've had panic attacks and 4 beers in a row did nothing . but yes it has become a bad habit and starting to need it to fall asleep, i've only gotten truly "S*#$ faced" a few times most of the time just legally drunk.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
thanks, i read the transition forum but was un aware of the sub forum, i will study that more.
It's not viewable until you become a member, we leave it that way on purpose.
the problem is anxiety,
For that, kava is the best alternative I EVER found and I've searched high and low until I came across kava in 2015.

A bit of advice that I've read on the forums but I would also suggest that you tapper off alcohol first before you get into daily kava drinking. It's not going to kill you to have a few beers one night and kava the next but we advise waiting at least 24hrs. When I began drinking kava regularly, I already had 1.5 years behind me, white knuckling. Not the best approach and kava was my solution. We all go through an adjustment period of finding the right dose, quantity, cultivar and so on but it is part of the fun.

PS - Therapy does wonders as well, I recommend some form of CBT therapy.

that's what im afraid of, not being tapered off of alcohol enough and then taking Kava, having panic disorder anyway and drinking. this is what has prevented me from trying, because i know alcohol will kill the panic attack, 99% of the time. i have taken kava in the past years ago and abstained from alcohol when i did, it was irritating at times but it did it. im just wondering if everyone goes cold turkey on the alcohol and takes kava or have some taken kava in the morning and still drank at night for a short time before completely giving up alcohol? i can't seem to find anyone that did that on here. anyways thanks for this awesome forum on an awesome substance that has helped so many and hopefully me at some point.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
this is what has prevented me from trying, because i know alcohol will kill the panic attack, 99% of the time.
I get it trust me, you have to decide for yourself first if you are willing to do the work it takes to stop drinking. Talk to your Doctor, he may be able to help you tapper of alcohol safely, another alternative is a 7 day in-patient detox, (assuming your insurance would cover it) that is the fastest way but it is done in a controlled environment, with doctors around 24/7. It depends on your needs.

i can tell you with 100% certainty that kava is an excellent way to help you manage anxiety, panic attacks (I used to have them), but like most things in life, it's not THE solution. It helps more than anything I have ever tried but you still need to do the work to fix you, if that makes any sense, lol.

Jacob Bula

Nobody
I did this. Quit alcohol cold turkey, but ended up going to the hospital for panic attacks. Doctor gave me ativan for a few days as a taper and I felt normal again. I would recommend this as cold turkey is setting yourself up to fail.. I was drinking 24 beers some days. Had about 6 months sober and was feeling the itch to drink again, tried kava instead-- that was in 2019. I still regularly go overboard with kava, but thats just part of my personality, and I'm very thankful that I don't drink alcohol anymore.

Also remember, it's hard to see your future when you are currently living in addiction. When you look back on it, in the future, it seems like a fleeting moment, but right now it can feel like it's inescapable. Like all things, this will pass.

Last edited: