What's new

Vacuum Fresh Kava

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
Is there any vacuum sealed fresh kava on the market right now? Where would someone usually find this stuff. I'm thinking that if it's expensive (and if it exists) that it could be a special occasion type thing, and coincidentally enough, I have a few friends coming over that have never tried kava before.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
There's occasional 'fresh frozen' kava...typically from hawai'i. Super expensive...two places to check are Pinner Creek Organics and Kanaka Kava...they might still have some.

I'm a little sad every time I drink dry kava, that we don't have easy access to the superior fresh stuff.

Kavashua

Mmmm Kava
There's occasional 'fresh frozen' kava...typically from hawai'i. Super expensive...two places to check are Pinner Creek Organics and Kanaka Kava...they might still have some.

I'm a little sad every time I drink dry kava, that we don't have easy access to the superior fresh stuff.
Is it superior in potency, taste or both?

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast

Aha, sweetness, Pinner Creek is out of stock but Kanaka Kava has some. I'm just a little confused because Kanaka says they sell both fresh/frozen and dried and yet they only have one kava for sale that says "Kava Root Powder" which is rather ambiguous. I guess I should email them about it.

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
Is it superior in potency, taste or both?
Improved potency, taste, effect consistency and minimization of side effects.
It's still just kava and all the same things will happen...but it's a bit better in every way.
My experience with fresh hawaiian kava wasn't quite to the level of fresh vanuatu kava,
but it was still good and possibly only because the dose.

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
Aha, sweetness, Pinner Creek is out of stock but Kanaka Kava has some. I'm just a little confused because Kanaka says they sell both fresh/frozen and dried and yet they only have one kava for sale that says "Kava Root Powder" which is rather ambiguous. I guess I should email them about it.
Sounds like they might be out then, can't get fresh in powder, only smashed pulp or whole root.
If you email Pinner Creek, the guy might have an unlisted stash, it's worth a shot.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Improved potency, taste, effect consistency and minimization of side effects.
It's still just kava and all the same things will happen...but it's a bit better in every way.
My experience with fresh hawaiian kava wasn't quite to the level of fresh vanuatu kava,
but it was still good and possibly only because the dose.
Yes, I am daily making fresh and fresh frozen from my plants for my own consumption. Usually 3 to 5 years old. Good Hawaiian beverage can be equal to fresh Borogu depending on dose, age of root. Fresh is best in my opinion but dry is fine also and offers a good experience. My 1st modest proposal would be for someone in Hawaii* to make a fresh, frozen 'awa beverage and ship it out like any frozen product-- eg. frozen concentrated orange or pineapple juice. I have done this with 'awa beverage but only to a few select institutions for research- University of Minnesota and UC, Irvine. 2nd modest proposal is for someone in Hawaii to ship frozen 'awa chips- root/stump combo . That would be least costly. Recipient just partially de-frosts and puts in a Ninja 1,500 Watt blender with water enough but not water-covered; blend 60 seconds on high, strain in nut-butter bag. This makes a wonderful 'awa beverage. 12- 16 ounces can make for a great 'awa evening! The 2nd option would be least costly to the Hawaiian farmer because all they would need is a food grade hammer mill to chip up the fresh, cleaned root/stump and a deep freezer. Doing this would eliminate the need for driers and micro-grinding. *this would be most likely to happen in Hawaii because of our infrastructure.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Pinner creek got back and said he had 20 something plants waiting to go in a month or two and asked how much I wanted.
I replied but he never got back a second time