What's new

Vanuatu: Trip Planning

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
As I'm planning a trip to Vanuatu, I figured I'd post an accumulation of info here, to help jump-start any other future travelers.
I live in Los Angeles, so I have a good jumping off point, when it comes to the flights. If you live in North America, or possibly Europe, there's a good chance that heading to Los Angeles 1st might be your best or cheapest option as well. But check your local international airports first. (written in 2015)

General Info:

Flying there:
  • There are currently No direct flights to Vanuatu. Flights to Vanuatu stop in Fiji and then fly to Vanuatu.
  • Fiji Airways & Air NZ are your best bet for flights. Prices can vary greatly depending on when you fly etc. Do your research. (Air NZ cancelled Vanuatu flights since I wrote this, not sure if they're doing flights to Port Vila again)
  • I often find Fiji Airways flights for $1,200-$1,600 round trip.
  • Different days of the week can be significantly cheaper.
  • LA to Fiji is 11 Hours. Your layover in Fiji can be 8 hours. Fiji to Vanuatu is 2.5 Hours.
  • You cross an international dateline, so if you leave LA on Monday to arrive in Fiji/Vanuatu on Wednesday.
  • You can also fly into Luganville on Santo Island (rather than Port Vila, Efate) but I think it's more expensive.
Inter-Island Travel:
  • http://www.airvanuatu.com/ looks to be the best, safest choice for island hopping
  • there are a couple other small flight companies with mixed reviews if you look around.
  • remember ya can be at the mercy of weather and "island time"...schedules might not go as planned.
  • Prices might be listed in AUD, keep that in mind and do the conversion to USD.
  • Fluctuating often range from roughly $250-$300 round trip.
Transportation:
  • http://vanuatu.travel/index.php/en/travel-services/car-rentals
  • There are a few to choose from, prices for a compact 4x4 $70 for 2 days, $75 for 1 day. (add +$20 for luxury 4x4)
  • Cheap busses can be caught arround town, no solid schedule. Taxis cost more money. Island tours can be arranged.
  • Buses have a "B" on their license plate, Taxis have a "T".
Hotels:
  • In the Port Vila area, there's a huge array of different price ranges and quality of places to stay.
  • You can stay in hostel dorms for $30-$50 per night, simple basic hotel/motels for $70-$100 or resorts for several hundred.
Bunglows:
  • http://www.positiveearth.org/bungalows/useratings2.asp
  • If you really wanna see Vanuatu, get out of Port Vila and stay in some village bungalows.
  • There are several on the main island (Efate) and on it's offshore islands, Pele & Nguna island.
  • Very basic but affordable accommodations, real village life, beautiful scenery, local food provided.
  • Prices are often as low as $35 USD per night. Most places will pick you up from PV and boat you over to their place.
Money:
  • Conversion Rates
  • Vanuatu money is called "Vatu" shortened to VT or VUV.
  • VUV USD
    ------------
    100 $0.95
    200 $1.90
    500 $4.76
    1000 $9.52
    2000 $19.03
    5000 $47.58
    10,000 $95.15

• Some places might also accept Australia dollars.
  • No tipping in Vanuatu. It's not normal, it doesn't make sense to them. I've read some taxi and bus guys are starting to get used to it.
General Tips:
  • Drop your first world expectations. Account for island time, things will be slower and loosely scheduled. Be respectful, participate and drink strong fresh kava. $1 per shell.
::chugger::
vanuatu-mix.jpg

Last edited:

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Great stuff, @shakas! If I went, I'd be all bungalows all the time, I think.

Did you factor in the cost of a gourd to cover your junk?

Do you need any shots or to prepare you immune system in any way? Are there biting flies or poisonous creatures to look out for? What about fast moving fish with big teeth? It's a tropical climate, right? So rain is pretty unpredictable and always coming and going?

What a great fucking adventure. I've often wondered what fresh kava is like.. just squeezy juice and no root fibers. Must be heavenly!

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
The other two things to keep in mind would be wet season & cyclone season, as well as Aus/NZ tourist season.

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
I believe you can acquire penis gourds free of charge, you may pay in dignity though. :oops:
I forgot to mention, DEET is important. Malaria and Dengue fever are there, more so outside of port vila.
They have some centipedes with gnarly bites and other non-lethal pests.
Typical ocean threats, sharks, jellyfish, sea urchin pasty tourists.
Rain is on and off all year but the wet and stormy season is from nov.-apr.
CDC recommends hep and typhoid vaccines several weeks before travel and malaria pills, i'm not sure if it's mandatory.
All this type of stuff is in the general info links but i think i'll add it to original post tomorrow.

Bert07

Me like da kava
I believe you can acquire penis gourds free of charge, you may pay in dignity though. :oops:
I forgot to mention, DEET is important. Malaria and Dengue fever are there, more so outside of port vila.
They have some centipedes with gnarly bites and other non-lethal pests.
Typical ocean threats, sharks, jellyfish, sea urchin pasty tourists.
Rain is on and off all year but the wet and stormy season is from nov.-apr.
CDC recommends hep and typhoid vaccines several weeks before travel and malaria pills, i'm not sure if it's mandatory.
All this type of stuff is in the general info links but i think i'll add it to original post tomorrow.
I caught Dengue last Summer while in Puerto Rico. Not a good time - went into the ER and had to be hospitalized for 4 days with temperatures over 105 degrees F, among other unpleasant symptoms. Be cautious when going to any tropical environment whether it be the Caribbean or the South Pacific. Dengue in particular has been on an uprise at these islands for the past few years now. Definitely wear some sort of repellant especially at night when the mosquitos come out most, if not repellant then long pants and a long sleeved shirt. I was unfortunate enough to get bit by one of those nasty suckers.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I would suggest flying through NZ and spending a couple of days in Auckland :)

I've been to many different countries around the South Pacific and to me Vanuatu is among the easiest places to travel to and around. You are spoiled for choice when it comes to hotels, restaurants, tours, etc. The internet access is *relatively* cheap and reliable, local people speak at last one European language (and very often they speak both French and English!). Vanuatu isn't Monaco, but the quality of most facilities and the local infrastructure are good (e.g. it is 100% safe to drink tap water in Port Vila!). Yes, it's not a very rich country, but people aren't desperately poor there either. Most people have access to land, can grow food for their own needs, have a roof over their heads and good networks of friends/family members.

When I was there during the wet season, mosquitoes were bloody everywhere. But it's easy enough to repel them with some nice blend of essential oils (or some of the chemical repellents). They also have huge cockroaches (disgusting), lizards (cute and harmless) and... fucking centipedes! These creatures are vile. I have quite a lot of experience with these fuckers, as my house was infested with them when I lived in one of the other South Pacific countries. They are huge, disgusting and their bites are extremely painful. I would recommend using peppermint or clove oil as repellents (they love coming to your bed at night, apparently they are attracted to body heat).

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
@Henry when I was in samoa i didn't see a centipede my whole trip, then, on my last day, I met up with a canadian couple who were taking my same flight home....as we were waiting in the boarding room at the airport i felt something on my leg. Much to my surprise it was a big ugly ass centipede. It was so strange to me, I let it stay there and tapped the canadian girl on the shoulder and said 'look at this' and point to my leg. As we were all gasping at the oddity of it, it reared up on its back legs and i instantly swatted it away. We then watched unwitting strangers, four rows up, jump out of their chairs in reaction to the magical flying centipede that suddenly fell upon them. Containing our laughter at that point was a true feat.
Fun experience to have with people you've just met. I'll likely never see those people again, but they will forever remember the guy with the centipede on his leg in samoa.
After traveling around Samoa, sleeping in an open fale every night...it was in the departure lounge at the airport that one found it's way up my leg. wtf.

Last edited: