What's new

Vanuatu3 limited edition kava from kava by rex

kl.rcoz

Kava Enthusiast
This kava is my new favorite, replacing
my previous long standing favorites, Solomon and Stone from
NakamalAtHome. The effects are more in the head, like Solomon x 4.
The price can't be beat, $25 per pound. The root is finely ground,
like powder sugar. Their website recommends 1c of root to a gallon
of water! While I didn't use that much water, I used 6-7 cups of
water and it was plenty potent. I spaced the shells out 15-25 mins
and that really really good feeling lasted all night. Yes I did
drink a lot shells over the course of the night, but it was no
chore. Taste and texture was mild. This has been my best kava
experience yet (I like heady kavas).

I don't recall any sleep problems like
with Solomon, then again it was the weekend and didn't care what time
I got to bed.

No second day effects, felt relaxed but
not lazy.

I really wish Kavasseur aka Vesuvio Cat
would review this one next. I think the word needs to get out about
Kava By Rex. I can't wait to try their other products.

Prep
little caffeine before noon (70mgs)no meals 5hrs before the kava

1 cup root, 6-7 cups water
no blender
no oil
no lethicin

soaked it for 30 mins in 75 degree
water, soaking might be optional for such finely ground powder, the
water temperature tip came from their website.

Squeezed for 10 mins.
Strained out all fibers

2nd Wash was 2 cups.

Ate 1 hour after last shell.

kl.trevorlay

Kava Curious
hmm.. sounds good, when you say "heady" what exactly do you mean? was is euphoric? did it make you dizzy or nauseous at all? where your thoughts jumbled or where you able to maintain a pretty clear mind?

kl.rcoz

Kava Enthusiast
Yes, very euphoric, enhanced when talking. I didn't feel dizzy or nauseous. Clear and happy thinking all night.

kl.trevorlay

Kava Curious
Malekula Magic has been making me overly tired lately , (I have to get up to tend to my newborn every 2 hours or so, so this time its not a good thing) how is this one for sleepiness? I need to find a very euphoric kava with no effect on sleep.. :\ tall order :p

kl.cj101

Was the flavor as mild as Malekula Magic? It took a lot of kava the last night we had it to feel the effects of magic, I think because we did eat before. I felt fairly sick to my stomach the day after, l because we had been drinking a lot of kava for 4 days for the first time lol. I'm interested in trying this, especially if it's as mild flavor wise. I lift weights, which makes me hungry more often, so I probably would get VERY hungry if I tried going five hours without eating...but perhaps taking stronger kava would counteract eating a couple hours before. I guess we'll find out.

kl.rcoz

Kava Enthusiast
magic tastes better, but Vanuatu3 is easy to get down with some orange soda to cleanse the palate. Since I used 6/7 cups of water, it was diluted and I was able to drink it all night with a nice level buzz and not next day sick feeling or laziness. When I first started drinking kava, it killed my stomach the next day, as a new comer I might have been drinking too much of it too soon and recommend only drinking 1-2 shells a day for a few weeks.

For me, empty stomach and straining the fibers out is key. I strain and strain till I'm sure most of the fiber is out of my kava. If not eating 5hrs before hand is doable, try a small easy to digest meal whatever hours you can do before drinking and eat 45min-1hr after the last shell.

I'm not sure if you can counteract food in the stomach with stronger kava, it would probably make the sick feeling worse.

I'm glad you ordered it, please do let us know how it goes.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Just ordered some this.

I also just read that you chase it with Orange Soda. Really!? Hahaha. That just seems funny. Doesn't a lot of Orange Soda have caffeine in it?

Also, I just looked at your preparation method. Isn't one cup of root to 6-7 cups of water too watered-down? Just curious

kl.rcoz

Kava Enthusiast
re: Vesuvio Cat

nope, orange soda shouldn't have caffeine (fanta, sunkist, crush, etc... it should state so on the bottle).

I couldn't believe it also, but 6 cups water produces a long lasting level strong buzz. It might take a few shells to get there, but it's great. I can drink 10-14 shells (4oz servings) of this stuff, a shell every 10-15 mins.

3 cups water was too strong tasting.

Keep in mind, this is really fine powder, I'm thinking this has more root per cup than Nakamal@Home and being such fine powder, aides in the body absorbing it more efficient.

I can't wait to hear about your experience with it.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Wow. Just wow.

First of all, what a great flavor! I made the Kava using the K by Rex method and was very pleased with how it turned out. A very unique, milky color with a creamy flavor. Two shells and I feel pretty good after a long day at work.

Hell yeah, Kava by Rex!

kl.rcoz

Kava Enthusiast
I had a lot yesterday with a few shells of black sands, I'm looking for a possible super combo. It was good, today I'm trying it with Solomon. I emailed Rex, hoping to find out what type of kava plant is this.

kl.twelph

Thanks to this thread I decided to try Kava By Rex's Vanuatu3 limited edition kava. The only kava kava I have had previously were Kona Kava's root powder and 84% extract paste. Both were good, but I wanted something with a kick. Ive tried several different ways of making it, and like Vesuvio Cat I found that following their directions was the best way to go. My favorite proportions so far are 1/2 cup V3 to 4 cups water for what they consider a strong cup. I can feel the effects after one shell, definite uplifting feeling. Too much of this stuff and all I can do is sit there and stare.

I also ordered their Isa/Tudei kava kava. I tried making this one with 1 cup kava to 4 cups water. Bad idea, I gag with every gulp. I'm not too sure about the effects yet since I gave up on it rather quickly. I checked on their site where they recommend how much of each of their kava's to use here: http://www.kavabyrex.com/faqs.html#howstrongdoyoumake . For this one they reccomend 1 Cup(or less) to a gallon! I will be preparing it this way the next time, I'll let you know how it goes.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Damn, 1 cup to a gallon!? If that is true, then this stuff is a damn good value. I was thinking to myself that two tablespoons/12 oz was going to be WAY too weak but, alas, I was feeling mighty fine at just that dose.

kl.twelph

1 cup to 1 gallon was too weak for their Isa/Tudei kava kava. I could tell just by how mild it tasted that it needed to be stronger. Ill try double that next time.

kl.twelph

I tried a stronger batch with 2 cups per gallon ratio for the tudei. I felt the effects more pronounced this time, though I still prefer the uplifting feeling of the Vanuatu3. While I can say that the effects lasted longer, I wouldn't say two days. Maybe after a really long session with it, that might be possible. He just released a new kava called Tongan Pride, I think ill be ordering that along with more Vanuatu3 for my next order.

kl.philm400

Kava Curious
Sad to say that the new batch seems very different from the previous V3 that Douglas reviewed. I currently have both and the Kavasseur review is right on for the now discontinued V3. The current offering is not ground the same (with rough root mixed with fine powder), not nearly as pleasant in taste and quite weaker in effect. The differences are pronounced enough that it makes me wonder why it is sold under the same name.
I've tried to post a response on the Kavasseur site but I must be doing something wrong as it just disappears when I attempt to post it.