What's new

Kava Fact of the Day (Video) Dr. Lebot’s Kava presentation from August 8th 1998 at the Awa Seminar, Hilo HI.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
lebot.jpg
Vimeo Link To Seminar

(Introduction by Ed Johnston)
Video Length: 53:35​

In this video Dr. Lebot speaks about kava, it’s origination, it’s cultivation, morphology, chemotypes, and its challenges and triumphs in the Pacific among other topics. All of the information contained in this presentation still holds true today.

Lebot, Vincent. “Awa Presentation.” Vimeo, uploaded by Jonathan Baker, 22 February 2021, vimeo.com/515120501. Accessed 22 February 2021 from: https://www.associationforhawaiianawa.org/

Last edited:

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
I do hope the folks on these forums take the time to see this. It truly was ahead of its time, very relevant today.
He uses terms like kava being a human artifact and there are hints of mystery and plant-based-miracles in it's creation.
Watching this one can become very akamai about kava quite quickly < 1 hour.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
This was a great video of the great time we all had at the kava presentation. This was the first time I met Dr. Lebott. I really enjoyed listening to all the speakers but I also liked seeing the green house where they propagated all the kava and the big fields of kava that they had planted. It really is too bad that the ban on kava made so many 'Awa farmers call it quits at that time.
Thanks for posting this. Aloha.

Chris

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
View attachment 11549
Vimeo Link To Seminar

(Introduction by Ed Johnston)
Video Length: 53:35​

In this video Dr. Lebot speaks about kava, it’s origination, it’s cultivation, morphology, chemotypes, and its challenges and triumphs in the Pacific among other topics. All of the information contained in this presentation still holds true today.

Lebot, Vincent. “Awa Presentation.” Vimeo, uploaded by Jonathan Baker, 22 February 2021, vimeo.com/515120501. Accessed 22 February 2021 from: https://www.associationforhawaiianawa.org/
By-the-way, for those interested in investing the 55 minutes to view this video. Vincent Lebot refers to "Joel" and "Dennis"-- Joel is Joel McCleary then of Puu O Hoku and now Joel's son is Puu O Hoku Manager, I believe.
Dennis is Dennis McKenna who was also a speaker at the conference. He is the late Terrence McKenna's brother.
The Puu O Hoku is a nice coincidence because it comes around right to today. Also since Chris Allen was sitting there also just outside of camera.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
By-the-way, for those interested in investing the 55 minutes to view this video. Vincent Lebot refers to "Joel" and "Dennis"-- Joel is Joel McCleary of Puu O Hoku and now Joel's son is Puu O Hoku Manager, I believe.
Dennis is Dennis McKenna who was also a speaker at the conference. He is the late Terrence McKenna's brother.
The Puu O Hoku is a nice coincidence because it comes around right to today. Also since Chris Allen was sitting there also just outside of camera.
Hold on a second, they didn’t say anything about Magnum PI opening the floor

B2D4BB08-F0F1-4FBC-97A3-1101F8D94B70.jpeg

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I finally watched it, that little slip around the 30 minute mark was hilarious. I also loved the story about how the early people found kava, imagine trying to off yourself and feeling better than ever instead, haha. It's amazing how much work Dr. Lebot put into kava, awareness, even back then he was talking about something similar to what you guys have been discussing on that thread about intellectual property, fascinating stuff.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I finally watched it, that little slip around the 30 minute mark was hilarious. I also loved the story about how the early people found kava, imagine trying to off yourself and feeling better than ever instead, haha. It's amazing how much work Dr. Lebot put into kava, awareness, even back then he was talking about something similar to what you guys have been discussing on that thread about intellectual property, fascinating stuff.
Ahead of his time. My favorite aspect of the video is how you can tell he absolutely loves kava by the enthusiasm in his voice.