What's new

Visited 'Rooted kava bar', San Diego

Sean D.

Kava Enthusiast
In lieu of a full review, I had the opportunity to visit this place...

The staff was very friendly. They also had many food options; though I only got to try their cookies, which were quite good. They seem to have a good handful of customers going for themselves, despite the rainy weather that day. I had a big lunch that day so it's hard to say the full effect possible, though we stopped there many hours after lunch.

As for the kava, I didn't get around to asking what kind they use -- I was too busy enjoying a couple shells -- but it was very smooth taste, not bitter and left me feeling very relaxed.

Hope to go again one day.

Nice! Rooted is the first place I was ever introduced to kava. My little brother took my fiance and I while we were on vacation in San Diego a couple years ago. He's lucky enough to live right down the street, I'm super jealous. I can't wait to go back, now that I drink kava regularly and know a little more what to expect. He plays music there every other week or so, here's a video of him playing guitar at their hillcrest location.

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
That is SO AWESOME!!!!!! I love the music your brother is playing. Perfect. That place is really cool. I've
only been to one kava bar, in Melbourne FL, and this one is way nicer. I love how when that bearded guy came
into the place a bunch of people said "BULA!".

Was your brother knocking down a shell there in the beginning? :)

At the kava bar in Melbourne, the first time I was there, their stereo died, and there was no music. A guy at the bar said
"I'll play something". He left, came back with an amp and his bass. It was David Pastorious, nephew of the famous
Jaco Pastorious (famous in the 80's anyway). He played really great music, and every 10 minutes or so the "root tender"
kept asking him "Hey Dave -- 'nother shell?" to which he always said yes. He must have had 6 shells, all for free, before I left.