What's new

Volcano

MokiAwa

Kava Curious
I wanted to start a thread to see if anyone on this forum was impacted by the volcano, and see if this community could offer them any support. I imagine internet and power in the islands is still down but I have been busy at work and not keeping up. I bought quite a bit of root as soon as I heard, anticipating the supply to be decimated. I imagine farmers have been hit hard by these storms and since my mental health has relied on their hard work for twenty years... I'm looking to donate to relief efforts. Have any worthy relief funds come across your radars?

MokiAwa

Kava Curious
We're still in the dark from our farmers -- all we can do right now is wait until we hear from them. We're crossing our fingers their families are doing well! I'll be sure to sound the horns when we know how the community can help.
Thanks for the reply. Definitely keep us in the loop. Media coverage has been minimal here on the east coast.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Sounds like they averted widespread disaster, but not totally in the clear.
I see reports of their drinking water being contaminated

Kavaloloko

Kavaloloko Kava Co.
Kava Vendor
We are still waiting to hear from our families in Tonga.
We've gotten in touch with a friend and there is still a large list of people missing..
The tsunami destroyed Kava farms but not sure which ones.
Hopefully we hear from family & friends in Tonga soon..

There are several relief funds going across social media right now but a lot of them are scams!
I would hold off as of now for anyone wanting to help out until you know for sure..

I will post more about the situation here once I find out more.

Last edited:

MokiAwa

Kava Curious
We are still waiting to hear from our families in Tonga.
We've gotten in touch with a friend and there is still a large list of people missing..
The tsunami destroyed Kava farms but not sure which ones.
Hopefully we hear from family & friends in Tonga soon..

There are several relief funds going across social media right now but a lot of them are scams!
I would hold off as of now for anyone wanting to help out until you know for sure..

I will post more about the situation here once I find out more.
Scams are exactly what I've been worried about and why I asked here first. It's sad, but I never trust a GoFundMe. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Foxfroth

Ruler of Frothland
I’m a fan of mushrooms, mushroom clouds however…

What is the best way to help out the people affected by this?
I can’t buy kava atm, can’t really do much in terms of donations either, but I can get the word out to my listeners and just people I know in general.

I want to help.

I mean, this seems legit and as a Norwegian I love the fact that there’s a Tongan cross-country skier:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/tonga-tsunami-relief-by-pita-taufatofua

what I love about go-fund me is how you can help directly, as opposed of sending money to a large organization never knowing how much of it actually gets there.

Please let me know if there’s an alternative that you believe deserve more attention.

I’m behind on news, but it’s the same here in Norway.

After the first breaking news for the first few days, we haven’t heard much here, I think the last update I found was about how the people of the Southern Hemisphere can expect beautiful purple sunsets or whatever.

Obviously COVID and covid related news takes up a lot of space.
Shout out to my man Boris who loves to party.

Currently, power bills are at a record high and that gets the most coverage, makes sense because it affects everyone here.

The terrorist from July 22 has his first parole hearing.
However, the press while present at the hearing decided to minimize the coverage because they didn’t want to give this guy more of a platform. I understand their argument, I don’t agree, but this is not a place for tangents.

Russian Naval activity outside Sweden, presumably connected to the Ukraine situation, is why armed soldiers are all over the streets of Sweden. Russia doesn’t want to say why they’re in those waters, but did say they won’t be happy if Sweden joins NATO. This is in the news, but for every article on this, there are a handful on happy chubby Norwegian shoppers going to Sweden to buy cheap candy and bacon, saying “finally things are going back to normal”.

I don’t have kava right here, right now, but I’ve learned from the root.
Kind of funny how this root still is a continuous part of my personal growth.

Nothing wrong with thoughts, well wishes, lit candles and prayers, but to me they’re all part of the:

Bula to da hula.

Kavaloloko

Kavaloloko Kava Co.
Kava Vendor
I’m a fan of mushrooms, mushroom clouds however…

What is the best way to help out the people affected by this?
I can’t buy kava atm, can’t really do much in terms of donations either, but I can get the word out to my listeners and just people I know in general.

I want to help.

I mean, this seems legit and as a Norwegian I love the fact that there’s a Tongan cross-country skier:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/tonga-tsunami-relief-by-pita-taufatofua

what I love about go-fund me is how you can help directly, as opposed of sending money to a large organization never knowing how much of it actually gets there.

Please let me know if there’s an alternative that you believe deserve more attention.

I’m behind on news, but it’s the same here in Norway.

After the first breaking news for the first few days, we haven’t heard much here, I think the last update I found was about how the people of the Southern Hemisphere can expect beautiful purple sunsets or whatever.

Obviously COVID and covid related news takes up a lot of space.
Shout out to my man Boris who loves to party.

Currently, power bills are at a record high and that gets the most coverage, makes sense because it affects everyone here.

The terrorist from July 22 has his first parole hearing.
However, the press while present at the hearing decided to minimize the coverage because they didn’t want to give this guy more of a platform. I understand their argument, I don’t agree, but this is not a place for tangents.

Russian Naval activity outside Sweden, presumably connected to the Ukraine situation, is why armed soldiers are all over the streets of Sweden. Russia doesn’t want to say why they’re in those waters, but did say they won’t be happy if Sweden joins NATO. This is in the news, but for every article on this, there are a handful on happy chubby Norwegian shoppers going to Sweden to buy cheap candy and bacon, saying “finally things are going back to normal”.

I don’t have kava right here, right now, but I’ve learned from the root.
Kind of funny how this root still is a continuous part of my personal growth.

Nothing wrong with thoughts, well wishes, lit candles and prayers, but to me they’re all part of the:

Bula to da hula.

That particular GoFundMe account does seem legit but there has been a lot of talk within the Tongan community about scams.. Its up to you if you'd like to donate to that one.. I haven't heard anything bad about that one in particular.
I do know that westernUnion & MoneyGram is down in Tonga right now.

I haven't heard any updates yet but I will be getting together with others today to get updates.

Thank you all for wanting to help!

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
Just got word from our Tongan folks. They say their entire house, yard, and fields (and sister farms) are covered in ~20mm of volcanic ash and are working to quickly clean it all up so their plants don't all die. They already had plenty harvested, dried, and bagged up for us, so we're going to buy all of that at a higher premium to help them out. I'm trying to find out more on how the community can help the surrounding areas that don't already have a couple thousand kilos of kava ready to export! I'll keep everyone updated.