What's new

Waka Root from Fiji Fresh

Jerome

Kava Lover
Anyone tried the whole waka roots from Fiji Fresh?

I've been off the kava far too long but this looks like a fun product!

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
The guy at @FijiFreshKava is fortunately reluctant to compromise kava root quality for availability. He was out of kava for multiple months until his latest batch came in and I've heard nothing short of excellent from the roots he currently has and grinds up on demand. The waka is not only good, but the lawena also. If anything, I've heard more about how great his lawena is.

I have not personally had it unfortunately. I'll need to use up the root I have before I restock. I plan to keep Fiji Fresh on my radar for when I do run low. Others with actual experience will hopefully chime in soon enough if my word isn't good enough. :)

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Anyone tried the whole waka roots from Fiji Fresh?

I've been off the kava far too long but this looks like a fun product!
I was about to answer when I noticed you said "whole" kava. I have tried their pounded kava - but not the whole roots. I am kind of surprised they are not cheaper than the pounded root...which is excellent.

bogmonkey

Kava? Yes please!
Thanks for putting another vendor on my list...
we've all dealt with seasonal outages and the "hunt for top qual kava" so you have to bounce from vendor to vendor sometimes..So far, in my stable I have Kava Time, Nakamal At Home, Kavafied, Kalm with Kava, and now Fiji Fresh!
(My number one favorite is the Gourmet Savusavu Waka from Kava Time, which ships in vacuum-sealed "brick" form and is by far the freshest and tastiest I've ever had!)

FijiFreshKava

https://fijifresh.com
Kava Vendor
@Jerome We have whole roots in stock. They're a little more work to prep. You need some good shears to cut them into tiny (< 1cm ) pieces and a coffee grinder or nutribullet to grind them. The potency of the home ground roots tends to be a little less than with our pounding machines, I think, because the pounding creates smaller particles which are easier to extract the lactones from. The home ground roots do have more flavor! Of course, you can also try chewing the roots. I think that is the most efficient way to dissolve the lactones since they're very soluble in saliva.

Jerome

Kava Lover
@Jerome We have whole roots in stock. They're a little more work to prep. You need some good shears to cut them into tiny (< 1cm ) pieces and a coffee grinder or nutribullet to grind them. The potency of the home ground roots tends to be a little less than with our pounding machines, I think, because the pounding creates smaller particles which are easier to extract the lactones from. The home ground roots do have more flavor! Of course, you can also try chewing the roots. I think that is the most efficient way to dissolve the lactones since they're very soluble in saliva.
Are they impossibly hard to chew?

I've mentioned this a few times on the forum but Nuka Hiva Trading Company used to sell root bundles that were probably the best Kava experience I have ever had. I miss chewing them!

Anyone else chew them yet?

FijiFreshKava

Kava Vendor
Are they impossibly hard to chew?

I've mentioned this a few times on the forum but Nuka Hiva Trading Company used to sell root bundles that were probably the best Kava experience I have ever had. I miss chewing them!

Anyone else chew them yet?
The Lewena chips are too big and tough but the waka are (mostly) smaller roots and are easy to chew. The taste is different than when mixing with water and it is more numbing to the mouth.

Last edited:

Jerome

Kava Lover
The Lewena chips are too big and tough but the waka are (mostly) smaller roots and are easy to chew. The taste is different than when mixing with water and it is more numbing to the mouth.
One more question if you don't mind. The product is being described as "waka root". Does it include the stump or is it just the waka?

I'm not even really sure I understand the difference but I thought it had something to do with root vs stump?

Thank you!

FijiFreshKava

Kava Vendor
Oh I see! I didn't realize you also sold lawena chips.

I will order some waka now. I'm looking forward to chewing some waka!
My profile picture here is actually a stack of Lewena chips. (I was having some fun one weekend in Santa Barbara taking pictures of Kava roots on the beach. I’m sure people walking by thought I was crazy.)

bogmonkey

Kava? Yes please!
Oh man - I am intrigued. I don't mind the taste of kava so this would probably be easy to adapt to.
Thanks for the post! I'll add this to my "things to try" folder

ThePiper

Kava Lover
In my experience chewing kava is much more stimulating and less relaxing. Could be been the type though. Mind you this wasn't fijifresh product, though it was Fijian.

Jerome

Kava Lover
I love chewing kava. I feel like you don't waste any of the product that way.

As far as dosing goes I wouldn't know. But it does kick in quick.

If you chew the dried roots, you wind up with a ball of "makas" in your mouth when the softer tissue is gone.

I ordered some of their whole root. Can't wait to give it a try!

Palmetto

Thank God!
I have some roots I grew myself, and they make you hyper alert. It's a pretty cool feeling, to me at least. Very different from most powder. I didn't wash it incredibly well and certainly didn't remove any bark, because they were hair roots.

Jerome

Kava Lover
I have some roots I grew myself, and they make you hyper alert. It's a pretty cool feeling, to me at least. Very different from most powder. I didn't wash it incredibly well and certainly didn't remove any bark, because they were hair roots.
That sounds wonderful!

Zaphod

Kava Lover
In my experience chewing kava is much more stimulating and less relaxing. Could be been the type though. Mind you this wasn't fijifresh product, though it was Fijian.
I found the same thing - with the same bag of kava. Some vendors don't grind quite as finely as others leaving what I call "small fun nuggets". I usually just toss in my mouth and start chewing, or place under my tonque or between lip and teeth. I find them to be much more stimulating and quick acting then making up a traditional prep with the same kava.

Blue Roads

Kava Enthusiast
I am yet again thankful for this forum and community, and to @Jerome for starting this thread. I ordered a bag of both and am loving them. Subtle effect from chewing the roots, more noticeable body effect from chewing the lewena chips, and the ginger chews are really good!