What's new

Water Ph

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
I saw a thread on another forum about a guy asking if anyone has ever tried using alkaline water for kava. No one ever answered, but it's an interesting question about whether or not the Ph of water effects the absorption of kavalactones.

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
Do you mean the absorption of kavalactones by the body, or the *extraction* of kavalactones during
prep? I'd be surprised if it affected extraction, unless PH affects the "polarity" of the water and hence its ability to
combine with the oily 'lactones.

No idea about absorption by the body...

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
Either one, it's said by people in health circles that acidic water absorbs more toxins, but that just sounds like a health fad. Although, it's still interesting, because the water I'm using is well water and I have no idea what the Ph is or how "hard" it is.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I would think the pH of the water would not have any effect, unless it were very acidic, in which case it would increase extraction. But I don't think there would be any effect on absorption because once the kava gets to your stomach the pH of the liquid would be overwhelmed by the extremely acidic gastric juices.

Another interesting question is what happens if you take a drug that reduces stomach acid? I would guess that would decrease, or delay, absorption of kavalactones.

"Acidic water absorbs toxins" makes no sense at all. In fact acid generally has a sterilizing effect: it kills bacteria.

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
I would think the pH of the water would not have any effect, unless it were very acidic, in which case it would increase extraction. But I don't think there would be any effect on absorption because once the kava gets to your stomach the pH of the liquid would be overwhelmed by the extremely acidic gastric juices.

Another interesting question is what happens if you take a drug that reduces stomach acid? I would guess that would decrease, or delay, absorption of kavalactones.

"Acidic water absorbs toxins" makes no sense at all. In fact acid generally has a sterilizing effect: it kills bacteria.
Yeah, all the hype about alkaline water is probably just caused by some corporations trying to make some money off of a strange gimmick. So, if someone naturally doesn't produce enough stomach acid, they might not absorb as much kavalactones as someone who does... Interesting. I'm trying to figure out why one day I'm loving kava and then all the days after that, I can't get to the same place again, even with Solomons kava which I supposed to be heady. Idk why I would break out of reverse tolerance only to go right back into it.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Yeah, all the hype about alkaline water is probably just caused by some corporations trying to make some money off of a strange gimmick. So, if someone naturally doesn't produce enough stomach acid, they might not absorb as much kavalactones as someone who does... Interesting. I'm trying to figure out why one day I'm loving kava and then all the days after that, I can't get to the same place again, even with Solomons kava which I supposed to be heady. Idk why I would break out of reverse tolerance only to go right back into it.
You're fasting for at least 4 hours before drinking kava, right? A full stomach can really kill the effect.

EQ

Atman
Either one, it's said by people in health circles that acidic water absorbs more toxins, but that just sounds like a health fad. Although, it's still interesting, because the water I'm using is well water and I have no idea what the Ph is or how "hard" it is.
Well water. Going through natural Earth processes allows water to develop mineral concentrations, and other great stuff.

This in itself can help because it is energy. Better water will give the body more natural energy than tap.

I use a good filter that I run tap water into, but it isn't the same as mineral water. It tastes just purely neutral. Pure, mineral water however has noticeable flavour.

An alkalinized body is healthy. Yerba Mate's chlorogenic acids, are strong anti-oxidants, destroy free radicals, and restores vitality. When Mate is consumed continously the body becomes highly adaptive, and immune, alkanalized. Drinking good water alone is not enough. Good diet too.

If I am to guess, it makes sense to me that tap water would cause less extraction based on volume minimally. Pure water is not filled with 100 chemicals, and parasites thus more room for Kavalactones, but all this would do is create a less dense Kava per amount of KL's squeezed out. The hardness of tap water is already insanely dense, and greasy.

Essentially I said smooth water, less dense, more smooth Kava.

Last edited:

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
You're fasting for at least 4 hours before drinking kava, right? A full stomach can really kill the effect.
Yeah, I drink kava in the morning since my stomach is most empty then, although this could be a mistake, maybe certain foods stimulate gastric acid production and fasting for too long minimizes gastric acid production?

verticity

I'm interested in things
The only possible real benefit of an "alkaline diet" is preventing kidney stones, by making your urine alkaline. It is impossible to change the pH of your blood by eating anything due to homeostasis. It will not make you healthy in general. I'll quote a real doctor here:

"What Dr. Melinda Ratini Says:

Does It Work?

Maybe, but not for the reasons it claims.

First, a little chemistry: A pH level measures how acid or alkaline something is. A pH of 0 is totally acidic, while a pH of 14 is completely alkaline. A pH of 7 is neutral. Those levels vary throughout your body. Your blood is slightly alkaline, with a pH between 7.35 and 7.45. Your stomach is very acidic, with a pH of 3.5 or below, so it can break down food. And your urine changes, depending on what you eat -- that's how your body keeps the level in your blood steady.

The alkaline diet claims to help your body maintain its blood pH level. In fact, nothing you eat is going to substantially change the pH of your blood. Your body works to keep that level constant.

But the foods you're supposed to eat on the alkaline diet are good for you and will support a healthy weight loss: lots of fruits and vegetables,"

verticity

I'm interested in things
Yeah, I drink kava in the morning since my stomach is most empty then, although this could be a mistake, maybe certain foods stimulate gastric acid production and fasting for too long minimizes gastric acid production?
I don't think so. I generally like to drink it before dinner, but it should be effective in the morning before breakfast too.

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
Well water. Going through natural Earth processes allows water to develop mineral concentrations, and other great stuff.

This in itself can help because it is energy. Better water will give the body more natural energy than tap.

I use a good filter that I run tap water into, but it isn't the same as mineral water. It tastes just purely neutral. Pure, mineral water however has noticeable flavour.

An alkalinized body is healthy. Yerba Mate's chlorogenic acids, are strong anti-oxidants, destroy free radicals, and restores vitality. When Mate is consumed continously the body becomes highly adaptive, and immune, alkanalized. Drinking good water alone is not enough. Good diet too.

If I am to guess, it makes sense to me that tap water would cause less extraction based on volume minimally. Pure water is not filled with 100 chemicals, and parasites thus more room for Kavalactones, but all this would do is create a less dense Kava per amount of KL's squeezed out. The hardness of tap water is already insanely dense, and greasy.

Essentially I said smooth water, less dense, more smooth Kava.
Idk about the Ph of the body, on one hand, there's the importance of Carbon Dioxide and calm, slow breathing. But Carbon dioxide, or carbonic acid, is acidic. I notice that if I slow down and calm down my breathing so that I'm minimizing the volume of air I breathe out as much as possible, my sinuses get un-stuffed and very clear. *shrugs* The Buteyko breathing method and NormalBreathing.com believe that hyperventilation causes a lot of problems. Maybe, as a part of an adaptive process, increased levels of carbon dioxide in the lungs doesn't actually lead to as acidic of an environment in the body as you might think, who knows.

I do know that the kidneys make bicarbonate in response to acidic substances like lactic acid and carbonic acid/carbon dioxide.

EQ

Atman
The only possible real benefit of an "alkaline diet" is preventing kidney stones, by making your urine alkaline. It is impossible to change the pH of your blood by eating anything due to homeostasis. It will not make you healthy in general. I'll quote a real doctor here:

"What Dr. Melinda Ratini Says:

Does It Work?

Maybe, but not for the reasons it claims.

First, a little chemistry: A pH level measures how acid or alkaline something is. A pH of 0 is totally acidic, while a pH of 14 is completely alkaline. A pH of 7 is neutral. Those levels vary throughout your body. Your blood is slightly alkaline, with a pH between 7.35 and 7.45. Your stomach is very acidic, with a pH of 3.5 or below, so it can break down food. And your urine changes, depending on what you eat -- that's how your body keeps the level in your blood steady.

The alkaline diet claims to help your body maintain its blood pH level. In fact, nothing you eat is going to substantially change the pH of your blood. Your body works to keep that level constant.

But the foods you're supposed to eat on the alkaline diet are good for you and will support a healthy weight loss: lots of fruits and vegetables,"
I don't eat an alkaline diet, and don't really care for what any diet regiment says. An alkaline body is balanced, with healthy vitals. Alkaline may just not be the proper word in it's relationship to it's meaning. Balanced is a better word. Vegetables are trash.

Last edited:

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I'm trying to figure out why one day I'm loving kava and then all the days after that, I can't get to the same place again, even with Solomons kava which I supposed to be heady. Idk why I would break out of reverse tolerance only to go right back into it.
It's just something that happens. Lots of variables have an effect on your kava experience and the one you shouldn't forget about is whether the kava gods are smiling on you today. Seriously though, it just happens and no amount of figuring has helped me or anyone else work out why.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Yeah, the effect of kava can be subtle sometimes. This is when "listening to the kava" can help. Which basically means paying attention to the inner calmness you feel from kava, even if it is slight or almost imperceptible.

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
I happen to agree with the statement that vegetables are trash, they just make my nose stuffed. The only things of possible value in vegetebles are the flavonoids and terpenoids in some of them, and they can be found in abundance in better places, like essential oils and teas.

Reactions: EQ

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I quite like the fibre I get from them and the micronutrients like iron, vit c, etc. Plus they're nice and tasty!

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
Yeah, the effect of kava can be subtle sometimes. This is when "listening to the kava" can help. Which basically means paying attention to the inner calmness you feel from kava, even if it is slight or almost imperceptible.
I'll probably learn that at some point, but until then I just have no idea. I just can't get that first experience out of my head.