What's new

Kava Recipe Watermelon Tanoa/shell

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Just like the title suggests, it's summertime and I figured what better activity then to take a watermelon, carve it out, and drink kava out of it.

Alternatively somebody could take the insides and mix it to some fresh kava and pour it back in. I opted for eating the insides and then pouring several shells back in. It seems that if you leave a little meat behind it Blends in nicely with the kava flavor.

20200711_131614.jpg

20200711_131548.jpg

Bula.

ThatDankK

̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з= ( ▀ ͜͞ʖ▀) =ε/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿ ̿ ̿̿
Just like the title suggests, it's summertime and I figured what better activity then to take a watermelon, carve it out, and drink kava out of it.

Alternatively somebody could take the insides and mix it to some fresh kava and pour it back in. I opted for eating the insides and then pouring several shells back in. It seems that if you leave a little meat behind it Blends in nicely with the kava flavor.

View attachment 10563

View attachment 10564

Bula.
You could also do the watermelon for the Tanoa and halve/carve out an orange for shells to go with it :hungry:

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur

View attachment 10563

View attachment 10564

Bula.
Okay, not many Kava recipes interest me. They interfere with what is otherwise a delicious, calming beverage. ;)

But THIS? THIS looks amazing. I am going to do this tomorrow come hell or high Kava.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Great idea! Do you mix a lot of watermelon with it, or just a few small pieces per glass?
I mixed about 3 cups of blended watermelon pulp with about 600 ml of kava. I used an ice cream scooper which made it much easier to measure it in the blender. Kava kneaded as usual on the side w/ ice.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
This is reminding me of various species of gourds that are traditionally hollowed out into vessels, if any of those would have some synergy with holding kava grog. Watermelon, not really a gourd, but it's being used similarly. The water melon flesh is probably great with the grog, huh?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Last night, I finished carving the rest of the watermelon fruit out of the bowl and I froze it overnight. (In hindsight, It's best served fresh the first day)
20200712_144942.jpg

I used a little bit less watermelon, only two cups of fruit pulp Blended mixed with 6 tablespoons of kava kneaded on the side.
20200712_150137.jpg

I'm really enjoying this recipe and like Kavasseur, I usually don't like mixing kava with anything but watermelon seems to compliment it quite nicely.

Using the other (larger) part of the watermelon would make a truly wonderful tanoa large enough for 4-5 friends, might be an interesting idea for anyone out there that wants to have friends over for a kava session without scaring them away with the taste. It makes kava considerably more palatable and actually quite delicious.

Last edited:

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
I bet you could blend some frozen grog cubes with frozen watermelon and get a nice smoothie/ kava slushie that way. Melons are a good natural source of potassium for summer time hydration, too.