What's new

Kava Preparation Weight of various kava

infraredz

BULA!
I thought I would post the weight of some kava I have on hand since I just got a nice little scale

Here are the weights of exactly 1 level tablespoon (accounting for significant figures):
BKH's Boroguru: 7.00 grams
BKH's Koniak: 8.40 grams
BKH's Melo Melo: 7.90 grams
N@H's Solomon's Island: 7.30 grams
BKH Fijian Waka: 9.40 grams

For reference, here is what 1 level tablespoon looks like:
IMAG0413.jpg

Last edited:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Excellent information. Moving to notable threads.

I encourage everyone who has a scale and a measuring spoon to do the same!

infraredz

BULA!
Excellent information. Moving to notable threads.

I encourage everyone who has a scale and a measuring spoon to do the same!
Thanks, I didn't think that I could post in there without having it be moved by you.

Also, for anyone that would like to add to the list, I think it would be helpful to use a real measuring tablespoon as the size (volume) of soup spoons and such can vary greatly. This spoon only cost 2.50 so it's not a big investment to make sure your kava preps are constant and predictable.

D

Deleted User01

Anyone who has ever cooked knows how to get a measured tablespoon. Dig into the kava, press against the wall to pack it somewhat, and then skim the excess with a knife to get an exact measure. Use the same technique every time to get an idea of how weights compare between the Kavas. I'm "cooking" tomorrow morning so I will check my measurements of Boroguru, Koniak and Melo Melo. I hope my small scale is up to snuff but I can compare mine against Infraredz. But when I make Kava, I use cups since I make a large quantity for bottling. I guess I should post that for the Bottlers and future Bottlers. And how many tablespoons made how many cups. Whew! This could be work but I'm curious too.

D

Deleted User01

Turns out my scale is not fine enough to do grams. However, I cup of Melo Melo is 11 tablespoons. This latest batch seems to be a very fine grind. So 1.75 cups or approximately 19.25 table spoons yielded 32 oz of Kava for two 16oz bottles. That's at least 4 sessions for me and it is strong. Then I threw in .75 cup mix of Boroguru and Koniak into the Melo Dregs to yield another 28 oz. or so. I horsed down 6 oz. of that (right before breakfast) and now I'm in a daze (6:30 in the morning). I have to remember that the Boro Blend is not day time friendly though it has some Melo in it. So I now have 3.5 16 oz. bottles in stock and that should last me 2 weeks. Total Liquid used was about 68 oz. 51.5 of coconut water and 15 oz water and 2 tabs of Soy.

I know the details are boring but I'm providing examples for the dudes that are considering bottling. In my case, I have Melo in the afternoon and then I chug a shell of Boro/Koniak at quitting time to top it off. That combo keeps me energerized and then I sleep like a baby.

P.S. Infraredz, doublecheck my cup measurements. I started at 5 in the AM and I wasn't particularly sharp this morning. Also, if you are bottling, go to a home brew store and get some powdered sterilizer. Mix 1 tablespoon per gallon of water, pour a portion into the bottle and shake well, then rinse out with water. I also use it to sterilize my nylon bag and to clean my hands before I start kneading. Very handy stuff.

D

Deleted User01

Outboros, I'm not sure what you are trying to say. I physically measured 11 tablespoons of Melo Melo into a measuring cup. Your mileage may vary .... I'm just saying. I also know that 2 cups of flour make a good batch of pasta in my pasta machine. I did 2 batches last night while you were researching the fundamentals of mass version volume as it pertains to the metric kitchen in America.

Hmm, I did do the measurements at 5AM before my Kava making session and before my coffee was even ready. Since there has been such an outcry from the good people of this village, perhaps I need to remeasure. Oh god, don't tell me, please dont' me .... maybe I lost count. In my post I asked Infraredz to check on it. 11 tabs did seem like a lot and I really don't care to remeasure. Good people of this forum, please get out your measuring cups and see if you can untangle this problem which has given be a metric butt load of worry. And all this worry on top of a Koniak hangover. Man, I didn't even drink that much. Mama told me there would be days like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted User01

There are 16 tabs of flour in a cup but Melo Melo is not flour. I did think 11 was a lot but I never do tab to cup conversion so it didn't phase me. But the question still remains, how many tablespoons of Melo Melo are there in a cup? Can some good Samaritan please measure their Melo Melo so we can put this puppy to rest.

D

Deleted User01

Ok, I brought my measuring stuff up to my office and I did the measurements again. I got 11 tablespoons again. 11 Tablespoons of Melo Melo in a cup. Ouroboros, be a good lad and do a measurement of whatever Kava you have in stock and tell me if what you get. It could very well be that my measuring utensils are out of whack and I still have some serious pasta sauces to make tonite. I am bewildered and flummoxed that there is such a large discrepancy between 11 tabs of Melo versus 16 tabs of Flour. This bears more investigation. Perhaps I will do the flour measurement later today to confirm the standard.

D

Deleted User01

Well, my curiosity is piqued now. There are 16 tabs to a cup of flour yet I only measured 11 of Melo. So now I'm begging anyone who will listen to do the measurements to confirm it one way or another. 5 tablespoons is a big difference.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
This is a good topic and an interesting one, I intend to do some experimenting and I will report my findings in about a week or so, I have a lot of different kava to try. :D Aloha.

Chris