What's new

Weird effects of continuous heavy use

KrunkAsAskunk

Kava Curious
First of all I am not trying to bash kava or discredit it's medicinal and anxiolytic effects... or anything like that.

I've had a few weird effects of drinking lots of kava for usually around the 4 day mark. Having at least one heavy session a day, often two. I like to drink kava in the daytime personally, a lot of high kavain kavas actually keep me from sleeping. I usually don't hit the shells as hard in the day as i would at night, though. Anyway, these effects have ranged from simply annoying to almost unbearable. I don't drink any known tudei kavas, in fact most are certified noble. I really want to know if any of you guys have had similar experiences, or would have any insight here. I'm not brand new to kava, but I'm no veteran like some of you. I probably started experimenting with kava around 6 months ago.

I only ever had a really bad 'hangover' if you will with kava once. I'd like to make it clear that I definitely blame myself for overdoing it. Most kava drinkers probably won't run into these same issues regularly, if not at all. I suspect the culprit is swallowing lots of un-strained fibers. And frequently. Basically, the worst thing I've felt is a sort of brain zappy feeling, not very painful though. Just EXTREMELY uncomfortable and it lasted at least two days, maybe three. I stopped drinking kava once i began noticing it.

EDIT: In recent experience, I've come to the conclusion that drinking more water has made a huge difference in limiting or avoiding any adverse effects. Even the sore throat was probably due to dehydration I think. I've found key is to hydrate slowly and for a long time, rather than chugging 4 water bottles after a session. Also I try to always drink some water between shells to avoid a headache.

The first thing I always notice is a discomfort in the throat. The issue is, multiple times I've mistaken this for allergies or having a cold. Knowing that kava has a numbing effect, I just drank lots more, haha. It almost feels like swelling of the throat, but I'm fairly positive I don't have an allergic reaction to kava. I drank it for months (a bit less often than recently, mind you) and never ran into this problem. So again, this is strictly a result of heavy use. This is usually followed by bloodshot eyes for a day or two. Currently I'm dealing with the tail end of this throat discomfort, nothing else is bothering me.

I've also noticed some anxiety during these 'hangovers'. I'm not someone who normally suffers from anxiety. I drink kava for other reasons. Mainly just to drink kava, lol. Ultimately, I think I need to lower my dosages. I noticed a bunch of times that my second washes were getting my krunked after saving them for the next day. That kind of made me realize i didnt need to use so much root, at least not every time.

I just find it weird that I've never seen any info or reports online similar to this. I know most of you probably don't drink to get krunk every time. I definitely do though! Lol... Would you suspect that lowering my dosages (used to use around 3 tablespoons per cup of water, now more like 2 or less)?? Does this sound like a tudei hangover?? Some of you might swear that this is a dehydration issue, but I've been pretty good about drinking lots of water I think. I've been taking that into consideration though.

Last edited:

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Many people talk about heady strains making it hard for them to sleep, I think it's personal body chemistry thing.
I personally get sedated from every kava after a few hours of drinking. Even Mo'i, the ultimate in headiness.
To me, kavas range from either being super sedating to almost having no effect on my falling sleep. But stimulate
me into not being able to sleep.

Throat stuff - only when I drink micronized I feel a residual scratchiness in the throat from all the particles or something.
I never feel that sensation with medium grind. In Vanuatu however, drinking fresh kava, I noticed a strange
throat sensation with some kavas, it made my throat feel thick and mucusy for a while, almost a throat-closing type of feel.

Most kava studies note blood shot eyes in heavy kava consumers. I'm a regular heavy kava consumer and almost never
have bloodshot eyes. There have been a couple varieties that seemed to be more prone to causing me eye problems
when I reach the dermopathy saturation point. Dry, watery eyes, kinda blood shot. It goes away with a few days off,
and it rarely happens....to me anyway. Every once in a while someone will come here and say kava drys up there eyes in a matter of days.
Again, it seems to be a personal thing.

If I over do it, especially with heavier kavas or way too many particles allowed into my kava drink, I can have a very
slow and hazy next-day...that often feels somewhat similar to being in a depression/anxiety funk. I've done this with
both noble and adulterated kava. It usually requires extra effort and root particles for noble to get me there.
I'm really starting to believe excess particles, at least to some types of people, are a major source for kava hangover type
symptoms, because in Vanuatu I could drink a lot of strong kava, heavy or heady, get deeply rooted and feel great the next day.
Their kava was both stronger and 'cleaner'...cleaner meaning less particles. But still you're not always impervious, I've read and
heard many tales of being 'held' or taken by the kava the following day, even among native drinkers.

Last edited:

verticity

I'm interested in things
One thing I have noticed is that kava makes me much more sensitive to caffeine--to the point that I rarely drink caffeinated beverages any more. This sensitivity can happen the day following a night of kava drinking; the anxiety-causing effect of caffeine seems to be amplified. If you are on other meds that is another thing to consider. When you describe a "brain-zappy" feeling that sounds like what some people describe when coming off certain antidepressants; there could be some kind of interaction with kava if you are taking such meds. I personally take Effexor for depression, but it doesn't cause any problems for me in combination with kava. But "your mileage may vary"

If I drink a lot of kava, I do get kind of a gagging feeling in my throat. That just happens if I drink a lot (i.e. too much), and goes away pretty quickly as the kava wears off.

blindy107

Kava Lover
Yeah you mentioned drinking more particles than other people. Do you toss and wash? I have to agree with shakas, they only times I've had any issues with kava have been excessive micronized usage or terrible straining practices.

You mentioned not being able to find info on these topics. The reason you haven't heard of these issues is because the it seems vast majority of people strain the product fully.

I go balls to the wall often as 14 years in manual labor has left me pretty wrecked. Yesterday I drank 8tbsp medium grind during the day and then 12tsp of the new kalm micronized. This was spaced out into 3 sessions but that's still a pretty good krunkin and I popped up in bed at 430am ready to roll today!

Summary: strain and report back ::awesomesmiles::

KrunkAsAskunk

Kava Curious
Throat stuff - only when I drink micronized I feel a residual scratchiness in the throat from all the particles or something.
I never feel that sensation with medium grind. In Vanuatu however, drinking fresh kava, I noticed a strange
throat sensation with some kavas, it made my throat feel thick and mucusy for a while, almost a throat-closing type of feel.
that's pretty much exactly how I would describe it too. I think it's actually the kava drying out the inside of your throat :/ not fun...

KrunkAsAskunk

Kava Curious
Yeah you mentioned drinking more particles than other people. Do you toss and wash? I have to agree with shakas, they only times I've had any issues with kava have been excessive micronized usage or terrible straining practices.

You mentioned not being able to find info on these topics. The reason you haven't heard of these issues is because the it seems vast majority of people strain the product fully.

I go balls to the wall often as 14 years in manual labor has left me pretty wrecked. Yesterday I drank 8tbsp medium grind during the day and then 12tsp of the new kalm micronized. This was spaced out into 3 sessions but that's still a pretty good krunkin and I popped up in bed at 430am ready to roll today!

Summary: strain and report back ::awesomesmiles::
I don't toss and wash, I do my best to strain the nasty stuff. However, I've been using the same strainer for a long time and so it doesn't do as good of a job as it once did. What I have been able to change, though, is how strong i make my kava. Lately I've been making weaker batches and either noticing that I get just as krunk, or I just drink a shell or two more.

One thing I have noticed is that kava makes me much more sensitive to caffeine--to the point that I rarely drink caffeinated beverages any more. This sensitivity can happen the day following a night of kava drinking; the anxiety-causing effect of caffeine seems to be amplified.
I have noticed this as well, but I don't complain because I love a caffeine rush lol. I'm not prone to anxiety so that isn't really an issue for me. I actually have built up a ridiculous tolerance to caffeine over the last year or so. Kava has just helped me to feel it again which I quite enjoy o_O

Last edited: