What's new

I Love Kava Friday Welcoming the weekend.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Although I forgot I bought bananas and I'm starting to see speckles, so I better start eating those and get some whipped cream for some banana pudding.
Go the homemade custard route this time. You won't be sorry.
I use this recipe: https://www.food.com/recipe/old-fashioned-banana-pudding-32625#activity-feed
One thing to change is only use the yolks of the eggs for the custard, and use 4. Use the whites for the meringue if you want to add it. I've found the custard always comes out lumpy when you use the whole egg.
Also, heat your liquid ingredients up and then temper the egg yolks in. This will also prevent clumping.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Go the homemade custard route this time. You won't be sorry.
I use this recipe: https://www.food.com/recipe/old-fashioned-banana-pudding-32625#activity-feed
One thing to change is only use the yolks of the eggs for the custard, and use 4. Use the whites for the meringue if you want to add it. I've found the custard always comes out lumpy when you use the whole egg.
Also, heat your liquid ingredients up and then temper the egg yolks in. This will also prevent clumping.
That looks very good but I have some instant pudding I should use. I should try this for the next round. Have you ever used those cartons full of egg yolks mixed together? I've never tried separating egg yolks from whites before. It sounds cumbersome without particular tools.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Hey Krunky! How’s the krunk going? You still on the Pacific Roots? I’m about to open up this bag of Tongan here from TheKavaRoots.
Bula
Nice man, no more green kava, I had the last one last night. I made Squanch today and I am jealous you have the The kava Roots bag.. :p

I should be getting my kava from Henry, probably early next week.

Last edited:
T

Terrance J Goins JR

it is Friday and my krunk from last night is still kind of sitting on me. I drink the heavier strains like melomelo and looking to have a relaxed evening before getting up at 4am again. I hope everyones weekend goes as planned. I wish it rained here I live in this hot as desert!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
That looks very good but I have some instant pudding I should use. I should try this for the next round. Have you ever used those cartons full of egg yolks mixed together? I've never tried separating egg yolks from whites before. It sounds cumbersome without particular tools.
If you can make kava, I assure you you can make custard.

I say this because custard is literally the only thing I know how to make with any actual accuracy when it comes to food :)

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Here is an easy how to from YouTube, this guy cracks me up..

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
@Kapmcrunk @Krunʞy You guys are simultaneously making me feel bad and inspiring me to make a better banana pudding next go-around. Instant pudding is really convenient and whipped cream mixed in with the pudding gives a really nice texture. With making a custard, I could try other flavors besides vanilla. Meringue is also territory I have not tread yet...

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
@Kapmcrunk @Krunʞy You guys are simultaneously making me feel bad and inspiring me to make a better banana pudding next go-around. Instant pudding is really convenient and whipped cream mixed in with the pudding gives a really nice texture. With making a custard, I could try other flavors besides vanilla. Meringue is also territory I have not tread yet...
We definitely don't mean to make you feel bad, but we do mean to inspire you :)

Meringue had me worried at first when I was making it, but you just add sugar and whip those egg whites and you're good.

Next time, @fait.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
We definitely don't mean to make you feel bad, but we do mean to inspire you :)

Meringue had me worried at first when I was making it, but you just add sugar and whip those egg whites and you're good.

Next time, @fait.
Another plus may be being able to control the type and quantity of sugar. I have some buckwheat honey that I thought about drizzling on top but I think the instant pudding mix and the Nilla Wafers probably have sufficient sugar. I also have muscovado sugar which may be good for the custard. If you want sugar that's dark as (milk) chocolate, you can do better than turbinado!