What's new

What did I just drink ?

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I tried a new kava root powder, at a local health food store. They specialize in bulk herbs and have a large variety. Many of them they grow on their own nearby farm.
Not the kava of course. But I decided to try it their kava root powder, that I just had to scoop out of their jar.
This kava had a taste like no other kava I've ever had. To the point that I wondered if it was actual kava, or pure kava.
It did not have the typical bitter taste of kava. It actually had a sweet taste. It was similar to Valerian, but not quite.
When I tasted it, it actually tasted very familiar, like I've had that herb before, but my memory just could not connect the taste with an herb name.
Furthermore, the store claimed it came from New Guinea. I actually have never tried New Guinea kava before, and didn't even know it existed.
Is it a possibility that the New Guinea kava has a taste, that is different from all other kava, to the point of being a little sweet ?
Or is it likely that what I got was not actually kava ? It did seem kind of weak in its effects too. I'm not necessarily saying the owner knowingly used something else.
But perhaps by mistake it was mis-labeled, and a different herb was put into their kava jar ?
Or maybe it's kava, that has been adulterated or diluted somehow with other powders ?

Another thing, the color and texture was different.
It was a darker brown color, and a much finer powder

Last edited:

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
I had Paupa New Guinea kava from Root of Happiness, it waa lighter in color, and pine and sweet pine. The ISA kava I received from Pu'u O Hoku ranch was also sticky and piney. Isa kava is similar to tuedi and takes a year less to cultivate before harvest, has a different lactone ratio than Noble kava, and is more likely to give bellyache/nausea, dry skin, or next day fatigue than Noble kava is.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
I've only had one kava from New Guinea, and it was Isa, I intentionally bought this. Also, the only pine smelling kavas I've had have been isa. However, every kava is unique, and the roots are well known for earthy flavors and muddy colors. I'd ask more about it and if the local coop cannot tell you whether the kava is noble or not I'd cut out the middleman and find a kava only vendor who knows their product. :)

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
what does smelling like pine indicate?
Generally the piney notes will reflect kavas not normally found in Vanuatu or Fiji, but other islands such as Papua New Guinea. Isa, a non-native strain to Hawaii, but found in PNG also imparts a pine sort of taste. I'm not exactly sure which constituent of kava is causing the taste, but it seems to only be prevalent in kavas that aren't exactly "drinking grade" or noble.

Fushi88

Kava Enthusiast
Generally the piney notes will reflect kavas not normally found in Vanuatu or Fiji, but other islands such as Papua New Guinea. Isa, a non-native strain to Hawaii, but found in PNG also imparts a pine sort of taste. I'm not exactly sure which constituent of kava is causing the taste, but it seems to only be prevalent in kavas that aren't exactly "drinking grade" or noble.
Well that is definitely good information to know.
tenor.gif

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
If it's not drinking grade or noble, and would cause bellyache, nausea, etc, that's interesting because even after the following day, I have not experienced any negative side effects

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Another strange thing about this kava, that's different from all other kavas, is usually when I Aluball a kava, if I do a 2nd and 3rd wash with the same makas, the liquid color gets lighter...and understandably.
However with this kava, even the 2nd and 3rd washes stayed a very dark brown color, and hardly got lighter at all.

Rand McNally

Kava Curious
Another strange thing about this kava, that's different from all other kavas, is usually when I Aluball a kava, if I do a 2nd and 3rd wash with the same makas, the liquid color gets lighter...and understandably.
However with this kava, even the 2nd and 3rd washes stayed a very dark brown color, and hardly got lighter at all.
So, kinda like the bins at candy stores, you scoop it out and they weigh it to price it? I'd start asking questions if you plan to continue, and if "I dunno.." is the answer, I'd leave it in their jar and shop for kava elsewhere.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
If it's not drinking grade or noble, and would cause bellyache, nausea, etc, that's interesting because even after the following day, I have not experienced any negative side effects
That's actually quite normal. Not everyone reacts to those types of kavas negatively right off the bat. Usually if it's going to have negative effects it will be a cumulative thing. I should clarify to say "Non-daily-drinking kavas"

Edit: As in not something you can't drink, it's just a kava that we don't suggest drinking daily.