What's new

What do use for a strainer?

2Intense

Kava Enthusiast
I recently changed my strainer from pantyhose to a home brew mesh grain bag. The new bag works better for putting the root in and the cleaning it out. The down side is I end up with less particulate in my grog, this results in a weaker Kava. I use a Vitamix prior to kneading so my latest work around is to rinse out the residue from the blender and adding it to the final product. Thoughts? What do you use for a strainer?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
How bout we make a master list... roughly from coarse to fine
- Paint or jelly strainer
- Nylon stocking
- Fijian kava strainer
- T-shirt
- Muslin bag

- Tide laundry bag (where does this one go in?)

What you use is gonna depend on what you prefer in terms of how much particulate matter you can tolerate. I prefer coarse kava + fijian strainer myself.

violet

Do all things with love
I think the Tide laundry bag starts out a little finer than a Fijian strainer, I've not tried a T-shirt.

Alien

Kava Newbie
How bout we make a master list... roughly from coarse to fine
- Paint or jelly strainer
- Nylon stocking
- Fijian kava strainer
- T-shirt
- Muslin bag

- Tide laundry bag (where does this one go in?)

What you use is gonna depend on what you prefer in terms of how much particulate matter you can tolerate. I prefer coarse kava + fijian strainer myself.
Good to see my Tide laundry bag discovery has caught on. I've been using it exclusively for producing sediment-free grog. :joyful:

CanAwa

1 kava 2 kava 3 kava COUCH
Good to see my Tide laundry bag discovery has caught on. I've been using it exclusively for producing sediment-free grog. :joyful:
Is it the bag with the zipper ? I've been looking for one in Canada and cannot find one so I'm gonna order off Amazon

brett123

Kava Curious
tried my koniak last night brewed just under a liter went for extra straining cause of the issues so i went for 3x tights (panty hoes i think) and 1 clean sock very well strained i think :smuggrin:
the tudei effects are kicking in now though hahhahah I quite like it feels like horse tranquillizers thats wearing off id imagine

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
The best strainer I have ever used came from www.thekavaclub.co.nz. It has the perfect features for me:

Seems to be double fabric, so strong, and does not allow any fibre through but at the same time it is not hard work to knead and get the good stuff through
The stitching is hard to find. It is not along the botton, which I think is a huge flaw in most of the strainers you can by. Those stitches along the bottom get subjected to too much stress, and easily burst open with just mild straining.
It's relatively easy to clean. :)

Shantu

Kava Curious
Too bad they don't ship outside New Zealand. Even though that guy is scary on their site, their kava seems reasonably priced and I could use a proper strainer.

Oh, and more on topic, don't use cotton socks. By the third use it let through a huge amount of sediment.