What's new

What do you want from the Hawaii Awa Council?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi everyone, this is Chris, President of the Hawaii Awa Council. We started this council to help kava farmers as well as do studies, get the most up to date and accurate information on kava and then give it to the people. My question is that now since there are so many people interested in kava, what would you like to see from the HAC?
There are not as many farmers needing help from HAC so I have decided to put more of our efforts to helping people learn about kava.
Please let me know what you would like to see and what you think the direction is that we should go. Also I will be taking new members shortly. I have to get things inline first and then I will be asking for new members and right now there is no charge to join.
Please let me know your ideas or if you have any questions, aloha.

Chris

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Chris,
I think you're already doing a great job promoting kava here, but I would like more information on the HAC. Do you have a website, list of members, etc?
Hi Deleted User, I am in the process of making a website for the Hawaii Awa Council. Our main goal was to help farmers in growing kava and dealing with problems that come with growing kava. We also get grants for research and support research and studies involving kava, we supply kava samples to the scientists that need kava for there studies and we promote kava in any way we can. I will get you a list of the members, there are not that many but the ones we do have are top kava experts as well as farmers and vendors. Let me know if you have any other questions, aloha.

Chris

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I'm only familiar with associations in a peripheral sense. So it's hard for me know what is an appropriate role for your association.

But in a general sense, my understanding of the role of an association is to represent a group of people or industry, to help organize, define, promote, defend, standardize and even lobby for the group or industry they represent. In a way they are kind of similar to unions in the role they play as an "agent/negotiator" for their group.

It seems the group your association represents, right now, are the Kava growers. If that's true, I guess I would really like to see the association expand it's scope to include the "Kava Industry". This would include the complete supply chain of Kava, from growing all the way to final consumption of Kava.

The association should make a "charter" that clearly lays out in easy to understand words describing the "Goal, Scope, and Objectives" which defines the associations roles and responsibilities.

I would like to see association involved in promoting the Kava Industry, defending the Kava Industry, and lobby for the Kava Industry. It should help define the standards of "Best Practices" for all components of the Kava industry and establish a credible certification system to help identify the quality of compliance to these "Best Practices" for all participants along the chain.

I liken what I'm thinking about, somewhat along the lines of what the "Better Business Bureau" does to promote and support small business owners in the U.S. They have worked diligently for years and years, and now are a powerful for lobby for the interests of the small business owner and have the ear of Washington politicians and lawmakers. The NRA is another example of the power a good association can achieve.

Doing all of this is certainly not trivial and most certainly a daunting task. But since you asked, that's what I would like to see Chris.

Regards
HeadHodge

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
I'm only familiar with associations in a peripheral sense. So it's hard for me know what is an appropriate role for your association.

But in a general sense, my understanding of the role of an association is to represent a group of people or industry, to help organize, define, promote, defend, standardize and even lobby for the group or industry they represent. In a way they are kind of similar to unions in the role they play as an "agent/negotiator" for their group.

It seems the group your association represents, right now, are the Kava growers. If that's true, I guess I would really like to see the association expand it's scope to include the "Kava Industry". This would include the complete supply chain of Kava, from growing all the way to final consumption of Kava.

The association should make a "charter" that clearly lays out in easy to understand words describing the "Goal, Scope, and Objectives" which defines the associations roles and responsibilities.

I would like to see association involved in promoting the Kava Industry, defending the Kava Industry, and lobby for the Kava Industry. It should help define the standards of "Best Practices" for all components of the Kava industry and establish a credible certification system to help identify the quality of compliance to these "Best Practices" for all participants along the chain.

I liken what I'm thinking about, somewhat along the lines of what the "Better Business Bureau" does to promote and support small business owners in the U.S. They have worked diligently for years and years, and now are a powerful for lobby for the interests of the small business owner and have the ear of Washington politicians and lawmakers. The NRA is another example of the power a good association can achieve.

Doing all of this is certainly not trivial and most certainly a daunting task. But since you asked, that's what I would like to see Chris.

Regards
HeadHodge
My only concern with all that is it being a full time job, and for selfish reasons I prefer Chris focusing on continuing to produce and I dare say even improve on the best kava I've yet to find anywhere. I know Chris is the president of the Council so I just wonder how much all this would take him away from what he obviously has a passion and love for. Not that he can't chew gum and walk at the same time. Perhaps others in the Council could begin with Chris simply overseeing that integrity in all aspects of the Council is second to none.

D

Deleted User01

Noueky, you got that right. On top of everything he is also trying to fix his Web Site and it hasn't been that much fun. But you cannot have a full time Kava Lobbyist without paying money and there lies the rub. There are 2 Hawaiian Associations so maybe together they can do something down the road. We can ask Chris about that once he gets some other things straightened out. Anyway, there are people that are hopeful about the AKA so meanwhile we can watch that evolve one way or another. I think the key phrase here is "baby steps".

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
...I think the key phrase here is "baby steps".
You bet... baby steps is the only way to go. But baby steps are no good without a vision laid out first. That should be the very first thing that is accomplished, otherwise baby steps end up going in circles and go nowhere useful.

D

Deleted User01

Well, baby steps to me also means it is going to take time. You have several organizations in Hawaii and they may have different mission statements. If only Warren Buffet or Bill Gates liked Kava ....

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Well, baby steps to me also means it is going to take time. You have several organizations in Hawaii and they may have different mission statements. If only Warren Buffet or Bill Gates liked Kava ....
Nothing that a little bit of applied brain power and lot's of Kava can't solve!!! :whistle:

punahele

Kava Curious
Hello,

I was born on the big island and grew up in Hawaii after graduating(kam schools! IMUA!!) I moved to the mainland for university. I recently bought 62acres in south kona and am moving back to start a farm. I am going to grow lots of food but also a bunch of awa as I love it!

So as a future awa farmer I would love any help the Hawaiian awa council could give! I just visited Ed up in Hamakua and he showed me and my farm manager all his plants. Showed us how to propogate and gave us a bunch of cuttings. Oh yeah, he gave us a lot of aloha too and let us swim in his stream! We kinda messed up and put the cuttings in peat moss NOT spaghum moss like Ed showed us, he wasn't sure if it would work but they just started sprouting. I picked up some plants too to put in the ground!

So as a future awa farmer I have a couple quick questions:
Do the different Hawaiian varieties have different rain/soil/temp likes and dislikes? Or do they all grow best at similar altitudes?

I have about 100 cuttings started right now but is there a good place to get a whole bunch?

Will I need supplemental irrigation growing them at 1500ft in south kona(60inches rain)? I'm planting them in the understory of an ohia forest.

Do goats/pigs usually decimate the em?

In 3 years when I pull 100 awa plants from the ground what the hell do I do with all the root? Grind it in a meat grinder? :)

Sorry for all the questions but when I came across this thread it seemed like a perfect fit!

Mahalo nui loa!

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi Punahele, welcome to the forums. I am glad to see that your going to plant 'Awa, we need more farmers like you. Ed is a great guy and a friend of mine. Let me start on your questions.

"Do the different Hawaiian varieties have different rain/soil/temp likes and dislikes? Or do they all grow best at similar altitudes?"
The different varieties grow at different rates, the short internode varieties will grow slower but you might find they are more potent than the fast growers. I think the elevation you are at will be great, much higher and you will see your kava growing slower. I am thinking you might now have deep soil so i am going to recommend that you use mounds on top of the ground and plant the kava in the mounds, they like a lot of compost and rich soil. If you give me your address in a private message then I will send you a copy of the awa growers guide.

"Do goats/pigs usually decimate the em?"
Yes the goats will eat your kava, the pigs will root them up but not eat them, it would be best to keep them away from your kava.

"In 3 years when I pull 100 awa plants from the ground what the hell do I do with all the root? Grind it in a meat grinder?"
There are different ways you can go and I can let you know all your different options, you can find my email on my website at www.GourmetHawaiianKava.com and then i can give you more details on how to process the kava when your ready.

Please don't be scared to ask more questions, I have plenty of answers, aloha nui loa.

Chris

punahele

Kava Curious
Thanks! I've read the awa growers guide a couple times and it's great. My property is actually thin and long and goes from sea level to 1500ft, do you think I should plant it at lower elevations? I am worried that there is less rain as you go down. My family is from Milolii so it's right above Alika bay makai of the highway if you know the area.

I am actually trying to figure out a way to make some money while it's growing, I have a farm stand. Do you think people would buy awa plants? All the ones I've seen for sale are "green" or "purple" so I think there might be a market for named varieties. I actually found this website cus I was trying to find a place to order the diffent types and saw your website then came here. I've ordered about 4-5 different types from you and love them. Woooha

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
hi Punahele, you will be able to grow kava at sea level but you need to shade the plant when it is young and you do need to irrigate the Awa, even at the higher elevations you will need to irrigate if there is not enough water. The more water they get the better and faster they will grow but they do not like to be in standing water.
You might be able to start a market for 'Awa plants if you always have them available, the word will get out and people will start to want to get some. There is not much interest right now because there are not many people getting into it, they like papayas and things that bring them the dollars faster. How many different varieties do you have? Let me know if you have any other questions, aloha.

Chris

punahele

Kava Curious
I got about 8 varieties from Ed but I am hoping to grow them all, even if it's only one or two of some.

Thanks again for answering my questions!!

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I got about 8 varieties from Ed but I am hoping to grow them all, even if it's only one or two of some.

Thanks again for answering my questions!!
Hi Punahele, do you know the names of the varieties you have? I will help you get the rest of the Hawaiian varieties but I need to know what you have already. If you do not know then I can help you with identifying them too. Aloha.

Chris

punahele

Kava Curious
Thanks Chris! I have a list on the big island, I forgot to bring it back to Cali with me. I just bought the land last year so I am staying in Cali and working my job to pay bills and buy tools while my buddy lives there and works at clearing jungle, milling lumber, and working on the buildings. I'm planning on going out in November to plant a bunch. It's hard to get a hold of him sometimes cus he's on big island time now but I'll grab the list so we can compare and see what I'm missing! Think I got a variety from tonga and pohnpei that Ed had too.

punahele

Kava Curious
I figured this thread was about awa so it could use a picture of some awa plants. Here you can see they are hiding out in some shade getting adjusted to the south kona weather before being planted out!

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.