What's new

What do you want from the Hawaii Awa Council?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I figured this thread was about awa so it could use a picture of some awa plants. Here you can see they are hiding out in some shade getting adjusted to the south kona weather before being planted out!
Yes keep them in the shade till they get bigger, when they are young they are softer than when they are older, get them used to the sun slowly.
I can not positively identify them with out closeups but it looks like I see "Honokan Iki", Nene or Awa Lea but it looks like Nene because Awa Lea is from Samoa, I have some of that growing and it is real good stuff, I will be harvesting that soon too, :hungry:
I also see a spotted Hiwa or as it is known now the Hanakapi Ai. If you take a close up of the stalk then i can tell better what it is.
Great looking so far. Aloha.

Chris

punahele

Kava Curious
Ok! Heres the list of the plants I got from ed:
Spotted Hiwa
Opihikau
Papa Kea
Hiwa
Alia
Nene
Honokane Ike
Laau

I got some already potted but also a bunch of rooted cuttings.

I was wondering if you had any advice on when I can start cutting and pruning them to make more awa plants. I want to be able to make as many cuttings as possible but without negatively affecting the plants.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
The best thing I can tell you is that you want to make cuttings from mature hard stalks, the young soft stalks will not survive. How old are the plants that you want to take cuttings from? Let me know if you have any other questions, aloha.

Chris

punahele

Kava Curious
I think Alia(alia 3?) is another name for Papa 'ele'ele? I also think that Ed lives on Alia stream as well but I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I'm not sure on that chris would probably be able to clarify. I seem to remember Ed telling me La'au was a samoan variety? Not 100% sure on that. I thought he was growing a Yapese variety as well but am not 100% on that.

Thanks for the response Chris! It think the plants are probably still too young(3-4 ft high) to take cuttings as the stalks are still young and soft.

Also I seem to remember Ed saying something about Papa Kea being nitrogen fixing. Do you know anything about that?

D

Deleted User01

Legumes are nitrogen fixing plants. Their roots are full of Nitrogen. People will chop them down above the roots and let the roots compost and provide nitrogen to the soil What that means in Kava Terms, who knows.

punahele

Kava Curious
I just asked ed about the Alia and heres what he said:

There are Alia-3 (Papa 'Ele'ele) and Alia-7 (Papa 'Ele'ele pu'u pu'u);
3 is short, stout, dark with very few spots;
7 is short, stout, dark with lots of spots.
If any from here are labeled, "Alia", they would have the number 3 or 7 after.--Ed

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I just asked ed about the Alia and heres what he said:

There are Alia-3 (Papa 'Ele'ele) and Alia-7 (Papa 'Ele'ele pu'u pu'u);
3 is short, stout, dark with very few spots;
7 is short, stout, dark with lots of spots.
If any from here are labeled, "Alia", they would have the number 3 or 7 after.--Ed
Yes, that is correct, it is Ed's way of classifying his 'Awa. The 'Awa Lea is a Samoan kava, a good one too. Let me know if you have any other questions, aloha.

Chris

Poivrier

methystified
Fascinating ! Thank you for the informations !

Is there an awa conservatory in Hawaii ? It would be a useful thing.
I think that there is one, if I'm not mistaken, that was organised by Vincent Lebot on Vanuatu.
It would be an interesting visit: a greenhouse or garden displaying all the hawaiian cultivars...hmm...

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Fascinating ! Thank you for the informations !

Is there an awa conservatory in Hawaii ? It would be a useful thing.
I think that there is one, if I'm not mistaken, that was organised by Vincent Lebot on Vanuatu.
It would be an interesting visit: a greenhouse or garden displaying all the hawaiian cultivars...hmm...
There are actually not that many official botanical organizations that have a complete collection of Hawaiian kava but there are people like me and Ed and Jerry K that have collections and we keep the Hawaiian 'Awa going.
Aloha.

Chris

Poivrier

methystified
It would be interesting to start somewhere a germplasm for 'Awa, for example like a micropopagation conservatory. Maybe with government founding ? For example, there is a germplasm for vanillas supported by the french government in La Réunion island.
It would be very useful in cases of kava diseases outbreak. :nailbiting:

Last edited:

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Any action towards politicians to make sure it stays legal and/or becomes legal in countries where it is illegal.
Yes there is some progress that is being made and I will be able to tell more about it after the 2015 International Kava Conference at the end of July. I will make a post and update everyone on the progress at that time. Please let me know if you have any other questions, aloha.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.