What's new

What is the average shelf life for instant and micro Kava if left unopened?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
In my experience, it takes me about a week to drink it all, max.

I wonder about instant, sometimes it still seems to have a little bit of moisture in it. But I think as long as you store it in a dry dark place, you should be in good shape. Maybe one of the vendors will chime in.

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
I'm not really concerned on it going bad before I drink it. I was just wondering how long the shelf life would be on sealed bags.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
The shelf life of the kava powder is fairly good but if you live in a wet area then you need to be careful, you can put kava in the freezer without any harm for long storage, the kavalactones are a volatile substance so they do have the ability to evaporate off but this takes a long time to notice any weakening of the effects, most people use there kava before it goes bad. For me since I live in a wet area and I have a lot of kava, I will say that it would last for 6months to a year with no problem and the first problem if any will be molding and you will be able to smell this, the potency will take a few years before you start to notice any lack of potency. If it is in a sealed bag and it has not been opened then it will last longer than if it was a bag that was opened, if the kava is vacuum sealed then it will last for years, I had some 5 year old kava that was vacuum sealed and it was just as good as the first day I tried it. I hope this answers your question, if not let me know and I will talk more about this, I can go on and on sometimes. Aloha.

Chris

ApéroNoble

if the kava is vacuum sealed then it will last for years, I had some 5 year old kava that was vacuum sealed and it was just as good as the first day I tried it.
Chris

Thanks Chris,

Are your instant / micro bags you send us considered vacuum sealed?
What months of the year do you think the Moi instant will be available?

The reason I ask is that I know some of your kava is only available certain times of the year and I want to have enough of the ones I really like to last me through until the time you have it back in stock again.

Last edited:

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Thanks Chris,

Are your instant / micro bags you send us considered vacuum sealed?
What months of the year do you think the Moi instant will be available?

The reason I ask is that I know some of your kava is only available certain times of the year and I want to have enough of the ones I really like to last me through until the time you have it back in stock again.
No I do not vacuum seal any of my bags of Kava, since I harvest it fresh and I do not keep large amounts of Kava on hand, it all sells or gets used by me or my friends long before it goes bad. What I mean by goes bad is the mold that you get when it is old.
Also this next week I will be putting 7 different Hawaiian Kava varieties in all the grinds I offer, Medium, micro and instant, these will be available all year round for the most part so you should not have to worry.

Aloha.

Chris

ApéroNoble

Medium, micro and instant, these will be available all year round for the most part so you should not have to worry.

Aloha.

Chris
That's great I don't know why I thought some kava you have like Moi instant may not be available year round.

(y):woot::hungry::shameshame::):smug::ROFLMAO::D ....translation.... Some great kava you have Sir

Last edited:

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
Also this next week I will be putting 7 different Hawaiian Kava varieties in all the grinds I offer, Medium, micro and instant, these will be available all year round for the most part so you should not have to worry.

Aloha.

Chris
So it's been about 2 weeks since my last kava purchase and my kava drawer in the fridge is overflowing so guess that means time to buy more kava!

Say Chris, regarding storage of opened kava, do you think it's better to store it in the fridge or would room temp be ok? I've wondered if fridge storage may contribute to a higher risk of mold since the veggie drawer may not keep out all the moisture.

infraredz

BULA!
I'd say if you're worried about it then get a ziplock bag and get some sort of desiccant (that absorbs water) like those little silica packets you find in jerky bags and such.

I would just recommend that you close the seal on the bag and don't leave it open...

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Funny story, during my "instant kava at home" project I vacuumed a piece of beef jerky in a bell jar with 5 or so packs of desiccant. I removed it one month later and proceeded to feast on beef jerky cracker. It was seriously so dry it snapped when I bit into it.

D

Deleted User01

Did Chris just say 7 Varieties of Instant Kava? Whoaaaa Nellly. All that Instant Kava and Micronized Kava could obsolete Root Powder really fast. No more waking up early on Sunday morning to make my grog for the week. No more GWP (Gulp, Wash out mouth, Pray it stays down). WhooHooo!

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
So it's been about 2 weeks since my last kava purchase and my kava drawer in the fridge is overflowing so guess that means time to buy more kava!

Say Chris, regarding storage of opened kava, do you think it's better to store it in the fridge or would room temp be ok? I've wondered if fridge storage may contribute to a higher risk of mold since the veggie drawer may not keep out all the moisture.
I would say that the freezer would be better but the fridge is good too, I think it is cold enough to keep the mold away. Aloha.

Chris

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Did Chris just say 7 Varieties of Instant Kava? Whoaaaa Nellly. All that Instant Kava and Micronized Kava could obsolete Root Powder really fast. No more waking up early on Sunday morning to make my grog for the week. No more GWP (Gulp, Wash out mouth, Pray it stays down). WhooHooo!
Yes Deleted User01, 7 different varieties, you got it right, all that instant and micro, it will be hard to choose what one you want to get, I think I will have to make another sample pack, maybe one where you can choose the varieties of micro or instant you want in the sample pack. Aloha.

Chris