What's new

I love Kava What is your favorite tasting dried kava?

Jacob Bula

Nobody
I've tried many blends and cultivars over the past year. So far, GHK Mahakea has been by far the best tasting kava I have had. It's texture is creamy and smooth, unusual for kava. It smells strong, peppery, and earthy, yet it tastes mild, slightly bitter, slightly peppery, with a complex spicy, earthy taste. There isn't a feeling of having to squeeze your nostrils and chug, and the aftertaste is pleasant.

My runner up would be KWK Borongoru. I love that peanut butter, peppery grog.

What is your favorite tasting kava?

Aceofwands9

Kava Enthusiast
My fav tasting i've tried is GHK Nene. Very smooth stuff.

If you're into unique flavor kavas then i highly suggest folks check out Kavaloloko Tongan OG. Very floral, reminiscent of roses- quite delicious though the flavor can be a little overpowering for me so i like blending it. I can't stress enough how different it tastes, i guess it's the volcanic soil.

Fushi88

Kava Enthusiast
I'm not sure I'm following, Are you guys talking about tasting kava root straight from the bag to the mouth? Like dipping your pinky in as if it was sugar and licking it? I'm not trying to be a smartass I just want to make sure that's what you're talking about or if not please tell me because I feel hella confused!

-fushi

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
I'm not sure I'm following, Are you guys talking about tasting kava root straight from the bag to the mouth? Like dipping your pinky in as if it was sugar and licking it? I'm not trying to be a smartass I just want to make sure that's what you're talking about or if not please tell me because I feel hella confused!
Nah, just regular water preparation of dried kava (medium grind or instant/micro). How you usually drink your kava. At least that's how I understood and answered the question.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
The taste of dry kava largely depends on four factors: cultivar; soil; processing method; root to stump ratio.
Taking all of the above into consideration, in my personal experience, well-peeled, quickly processed (ideally dehydrated in a temp controlled dehydrator) kavain rich cultivars made at the natural ratio (for Vanuatu that's 80:20) taste the best.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
All time favorite was BKH's Fu'u that stuff tasted like a chocolate/vanilla flavored milk shake. After that I have a fondness for the Hawaiian kavas. Moi and Mahakea probably near the top. Of course at the very top is fresh frozen....but you said dried.

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized
The consistently best tasting for me are the Kelai cultivar from the New Zealand Kava Society and Five Star from Kava Kauai. That said, many of the varieties now taste much better to me than they did a few years ago...so one can obviously grown accustomed to the root.

I've tried many blends and cultivars over the past year. So far, GHK Mahakea has been by far the best tasting kava I have had. It's texture is creamy and smooth, unusual for kava. It smells strong, peppery, and earthy, yet it tastes mild, slightly bitter, slightly peppery, with a complex spicy, earthy taste. There isn't a feeling of having to squeeze your nostrils and chug, and the aftertaste is pleasant.

My runner up would be KWK Borongoru. I love that peanut butter, peppery grog.

What is your favorite tasting kava?

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
That said, many of the varieties now taste much better to me than they did a few years ago...so one can obviously grown accustomed to the root.
I think commercially sold dried kavas have got better tasting across the board in the last 5-10 years, as standards for cleaning and drying soon after harvest have increased. 20 years ago nearly all dry kava I was buying direct from Fiji/Samoa/Vanuatu was noticeably more bitter and much worse tasting than fresh - the taste gap between fresh & dry has been closing as the export industry has developed, whatever the strain. I can't even remember the last time I dry-retched.

hightides42

our Roots run deep
limited experience with offerings outside of KWK, GHK, Squanch, one TKS-NZ and a few from Amazon availables.

mostly awa from GHK has hold of my taste preference. Papa Kea firmly in the lead, then Moi and IkaIka, with Mahakea and Nene tied for next spot. Also found to be quite tasty (and friggin strongAF) Squanch 2:1 waka with lawena.

for instant GHK Hiwa clearly wins, hands down. stuff has an amazing chocolaty flavor. Moi and Nene instant come next.

jewalker7842

Kava Curious
I think it all tastes nasty, but I'm slowly getting used to the taste. If I HAD to pick one it would be KWK Puoni Ono. That has a very mild taste. However, I prefer KWK Borogu which has a bit of a rougher taste. I have yet to have a kava that I think tastes good lol.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I think it all tastes nasty, but I'm slowly getting used to the taste. If I HAD to pick one it would be KWK Puoni Ono. That has a very mild taste. However, I prefer KWK Borogu which has a bit of a rougher taste. I have yet to have a kava that I think tastes good lol.
It gets better with time. Drinking it ice cold also helps.