What's new

What items do I need to buy to prepare the Kava Kava?

Shawn Green

Kava Curious
I think I found which brand I am going to order the Kava Kava through but I do need pointers on all the other things ill need to use while preparing the Kava.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
You need a kava strainer bag. Some vendors sell them, or search for "nut milk bag" on Amazon. Search youtube for "how to make kava", watch some videos, and you're good to go.

And BTW just call it kava. It's sometimes called kava kava in the pharma industry. They're wrong. It's just kava.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
@F3TU5 All of it. That's myself, not speaking for anyone else.

Surely you have a bowl at home, you can use a mug. When out, I have been known to make Kava from a plastic bag, once I folded aluminum foil into a bowl and it was pleasant. You do need a strainer. Look for Cheese Cloth, Nut Milk Bag, cotton or nylon, produce bags, medium or small. Unused Paint strainers are okay if they have never been used for straining paint. You do not want womens stockings available at dollar stores as these long socks, assumably as well as all other fabric ( t shirts, old dishcloths, clean white socks) are full of cleaning chemicals, color dyes, they also are hard to make tea with, use the best. You're the best. Bula!

Last edited:

VictoriousSpoon

Kava Curious
@F3TU5 All of it. That's myself, not speaking for anyone else.

Surely you have a bowl at home, you can use a mug. When out, I have been known to make Kava from a plastic bag, once I folded aluminum foil into a bowl and it was pleasant. You do need a strainer. Look for Cheese Cloth, Nut Milk Bag, cotton or nylon, produce bags, medium or small. Unused Paint strainers are okay if they have never been used for straining paint. You do not want womens stockings available at dollar stores as these long socks, assumably as well as all other fabric ( t shirts, old dishcloths, clean white socks) are full of cleaning chemicals, color dyes, they also are hard to make tea with, use the best. You're the best. Bula!
IMO, cheesecloth is too coarse. I first tried using that before I got a strainer bag, and even 6-layer folded the cheese cloth, but it still let too big of grain size into the end product. Excessively coarse particles will give one the "runs," promote nausea, and it will have an unpleasantly gritty mouth feel.

EDIT: Personally, I like using a large pitcher to "brew" my kava- it makes pouring it into glasses/bottles very convenient.

Last edited: