What's new

What the heck are kavalactones

In a blind taste test, could you tell the difference between 3 different kavas?

• Yes 100%

• No

• Maybe a few

Results are only viewable after voting.

Steve

Ozia - KavaKava Candy
Kava Vendor
Back with Chris :) I know this group is more informed about kavalactones and may know exactly for yourself what chemotypes you tend to gravitate towards.

I would be curious to do a "blind kava tasting" and see if people could really differentiate kavas? The problem with kava is that different varietals surely have distinct taste that would tip you off. For the test it would be awesome if you could make the taste the same but just see if we could all tell a difference by feeling only. Leafy did a test between experienced sativa and indica users and surprisingly, 2 out of the 3 got it wrong even though they were convinced they really knew their strains. Enjoy!

** If you have sometime, post a little video in the thread doing your blind taste test :)
If you post a video I will send you some free kava candy for the holidays :) Aloha, Steve

Mo'iety

Kava Enthusiast
meh-THIS-tick-in oh so that's how you pronounce it! That sounds a whole lot better. I always was saying Meth-ee-STY-sin in my head. And YANG-uh-nin instead of yang-OH-nin.

Edit: I was literally pronouncing every kavalactone incorrectly in my head! KA-vah-in instead of ka-VA(h)IN. I wonder what other words in the kava lexicon I'd pronounce incorrectly having never heard them spoken aloud.

Edit2: Now I feal really stupid. I just realized that the name methysticin comes from the scientific name piper methysticum which I was pronouncing correctly in my head.

Last edited:

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Not sure about the ‘tones, but once a kava is dried and ground, I can taste the difference between Vanuatu, Fiji, And Hawaii.

As for the actual kavalactones, I’m rather confident that #4 will give me a quick social boost, #2 and #6 are mid-duration troopers, and #5 treads the fine line between a mystic/spiritual experience and a night spent horizontal with a cold wet rag over my eyes.

Last edited:

Mo'iety

Kava Enthusiast
From my kava experience I only feel like I understand the effects of #4 (heady-short duration) and #2, 5 (heavy-mid duration/ heavy-long duration). I have no idea what character 6, 3, and 1 are bringing to the experience. And I definitely like kavas with 2 in the 3rd position or lower. 24---- and even 42---- tend to be heavier than I prefer.

Steve

Ozia - KavaKava Candy
Kava Vendor
Happy Holidays! The poll is interesting as it seems most people can pick out some different kavas which makes sense. One of the tough things for me is that after a bowl, it makes it even harder to distinguish the second bowl due to the mouth numbing and also being sensitive I tend to have a quick mental shift so I might already be "altered" and not able to clearly evaluate a different kava

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Not sure about the ‘tones, but once a kava is dried and ground, I can taste the difference between Vanuatu, Fiji, And Hawaii.

As for the actual kavalactones, I’m rather confident that #4 will give me a quick social boost, #2 and #6 are mid-duration troopers, and #5 treads the fine line between a mystic/spiritual experience and a night spent horizontal with a cold wet rag over my eyes.
Vanuatu to Fiji is quite distinctive but I don't know if I would get a Fijian to Hawaiian every time, some of those are quite similar.

Personally I like 2 and 5 to be high up the list and then try not to overdo it.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
meh-THIS-tick-in oh so that's how you pronounce it! That sounds a whole lot better. I always was saying Meth-ee-STY-sin in my head. And YANG-uh-nin instead of yang-OH-nin.
I still can't pronounce the names, lol and i speak 3 languages fluently.