What's new

What's the best way to prepare Kava???

kl.shinobi7

Kava Curious
I'm just wondering because,someone recommended putting it in a blender for 5 minutes,with lecethin,then straining it and massaging it for five minutes in a bowl. Is this the right way? I just want know whats the best way to do it,for best results.(smiley: glasses)

Steve973

Kava Curious
In my experience, a blender is not necessary. I can't definitively say if it makes the extraction better or not, so you'll have to try it and see what you think. Personally, I like to add a teaspoon of soy lecithin granules to an ounce or two of boiling water and let it dissolve for a bit. Then I take 2-4 cups of water that gets as hot as my tap will make it, and put that into a bowl with a bunch of extra room. I generally use 1/4 or 1/3 of a cup of kava and I place that into a fiji strainer bag (you can find these online and they are perfect for kava). I knead this and repeatedly squeeze all of the water out of it for around 10 or 15 minutes. The water will turn brownish/tan pretty quickly. Then I wait until it cools and I drink it. It's pretty simple and only practice will show you your favorite method. Many people have many different methods, and you'll eventually find yours.

Steve973

Kava Curious
To clarify, I knead it underwater to saturate the root powder as well as I can and then I squeeze out the water as hard as possible, and I repeat this process over and over again for 10 or 15 minutes.

kl.shinobi7

Kava Curious
Ok,that mehtod you mentioned seems effective and straight forward.Last time i prepared kava it was kind of like that,except without the lecethin granules.

All i do is put milk, about a cup (whole milk) and add a splash of flavored coffee creamer, and then throw 3 tbsp of kava kava all into a 12 fl. oz tropicana juice bottle (the mini single serving ones)
just shake the hell out of it for about 30 min. pour into a coffee filter (reusable ones are great) and strain and enjoy

note:gingerbread coffee creamer nearly completley kills the pepper taste