What's new

What's the physiological reason for kava double vision?

kavasam

Kava Curious
I've had it a lot, either from intentionally taking a monster dose or if my normal dose kicks in stronger than I'm expecting. I was curious if anyone knows what kava does to make that happen. It goes away in a little bit of course but seems like messing with one's vision may not be a good thing long term.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I've had it a lot, either from intentionally taking a monster dose or if my normal dose kicks in stronger than I'm expecting. I was curious if anyone knows what kava does to make that happen. It goes away in a little bit of course but seems like messing with one's vision may not be a good thing long term.
Per this paper from 1985 (It's an oldie) kava affects the way our eyes find the point of convergence. 20-30 minutes after consuming kava this effect was seen to be the most apparent. Experientially this lines up with my timeline when I drink kava. About 20 minutes in and my vision starts to waver in terms of being able to properly focus on an object (double vision).

Abstract: Kava is a drink produced from the plant Piper methysticum and used as a social and ceremonial beverage on many South Pacific islands. Visual functions were measured in one subject following the taking of this drink. A reduced near point of accommodation and convergence, an increase in pupil diameter and disturbance to the oculomotor balance were noted. No changes were recorded in visual or stereoacuity or in ocular refractive error.

kavasam

Kava Curious
Thank you. A bit over my head scientifically but at least there's an explanation. I prefer not to get to that point but it happens.

I was talking to someone once after a pretty big dose and they wondered why my eyes looked odd. I should have said, "Uh why are there two of you sitting there?" but I didn't. Thinking about it now, I'm curious. I wonder what she meant by "odd" and how did my eyes look different. I guess I'll never know. Maybe it was that enlarged pupil thing you mentioned.

Jacob Bula

Nobody
I have had a problem with the "point of convergence" for as long as I can remember as part of my normal life. I have only been drinking kava for about a year. When I drink kava, I actually experience the opposite. It's as if I can visually focus in on objects much better and my eyes don't feel like they want to drift and space out. I've went to several ophthalmologists and they have all said nothing is wrong with my eyes. Strange.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
I too have experienced this on occasion. The simple constant conjunction in my experience, is too much kava. Only a few times have I been paraletyc from kava. But double vision is a sign of very heavy kava intoxication IME.

Jacob Bula

Nobody
Snap on that. Well, 13 months now at this end..
It's funny how with alcohol, people shamefully state how many years they drank: "I was a drunk for 30 years.... , quit now while you're ahead... :banghead:
However, with kava its said in a prideful way: "You've only been drinking kava a year, I've been drinking 30 years! ::KavaChug::

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
It's funny how with alcohol, people shamefully state how many years they drank: "I was a drunk for 30 years.... , quit now while you're ahead... :banghead:
However, with kava its said in a prideful way: "You've only been drinking kava a year, I've been drinking 30 years! ::KavaChug::
Well for me, I thinl it's just a case of being aware of it. It has been a learning experience and I think it can pay to keep track as well sometimes.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Mechanism might be intraocular muscle relaxation or maybe even ataxia. Just a guess.
Yes and it did occur to me that maybe some people could experience double vision at lower levels of overall kava intoxication than others.

I agree with @BobBriggs above, if I get proper double vision with kava, I have had more than I need, and usually it takes many hours for me to actually sober up.

One side of that level of kava intoxicated state is quite nice, the other, a little unpleasant. And quite non-functional on occasion too.