What's new

Which kava will stay heady?

kavasam

Kava Curious
I've gone through a few different kavas, read about others and am having a hard time finding a strong kava that will stay heady and not morph into sedation. The only one I've found so far is Pouni Ono but I've taken it too often and am becoming desensitized to it.

Mo'i starts out good but drags me down after an hour or so. I thought maybe Taveuni Waka or Nangol Noble but read that they start out heady but wind you up on the couch after a while if you go at them heavily (which I always do). Any suggestions on something I might try that will stay heady?

kavasam

Kava Curious
Are all Lawenas roughly the same? I've had Wakacon's Lawena and it was so weak there wasn't much sense in making it up. I don't remember if it was heady or not. Not much to it though.

Nambuwan was OK, it's been a while. It made me itch pretty bad but that was back in my early kava days. Maybe it wouldn't now. I could try it again.

Hadn't heard of Ozia, I'll look it up.

Mo'iety

Kava Enthusiast
I've gone through a few different kavas, read about others and am having a hard time finding a strong kava that will stay heady and not morph into sedation. The only one I've found so far is Pouni Ono but I've taken it too often and am becoming desensitized to it.

Mo'i starts out good but drags me down after an hour or so. I thought maybe Taveuni Waka or Nangol Noble but read that they start out heady but wind you up on the couch after a while if you go at them heavily (which I always do). Any suggestions on something I might try that will stay heady?
Mo'i fits that description for me most of the time. It's interesting that you find Pouni Ono headier, I've usually read the opposite. I've never had Pouni Ono since Mo'i is cheaper (barely) and treats me well, but maybe I should try it.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

kavasam

Kava Curious
That's the frustrating thing about kava. It can be different for different people AND it can be different for the same person depending on who knows what. Maybe what their body chemistry is doing at that particular time. The second time I took Pouni, it was absolutely awesome. It felt like it lifted 15 years off. But all the rest of the times it's been heady, until recently, but never got back to that one time. No idea why. I keep messing with the prep to try to get back to that but nope.

Anyway, I've got to give it a rest for a while and find another one.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Do try Lawena. I love Kava from Fiji, go ahead and brew a cup of lawena roots in four liters of water, even one or two shells informs you that everything is right in the world.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Are all Lawenas roughly the same? I've had Wakacon's Lawena and it was so weak there wasn't much sense in making it up. I don't remember if it was heady or not. Not much to it though.

Nambuwan was OK, it's been a while. It made me itch pretty bad but that was back in my early kava days. Maybe it wouldn't now. I could try it again.

Hadn't heard of Ozia, I'll look it up.
no, definitely, not all Lawenas are the same. Some taste better, some have stronger effects. I'll match the Fiji Fresh Lawena against any kava of any kind and it stands along with the best both on taste and strength. It really kicks me like few others do.

kavasam

Kava Curious
Thanks. A little pricey. Interesting that they say they don't stock powder and that they make it up as it's ordered.

VictoriousSpoon

Kava Curious
I've only been using kava for a few months, but just as how everyone responds a bit differently to psychoactive prescription meds, results will vary per user with kavas as well. For me personally, after having tried 8 kava varieties, the most stimulating/euphoric is the Root of Happiness Fijian, but I'm not sure if its because it has a substantially different chemotype from the others I've had-and I've developed something of a tolerance to their effects.

To be more objective, I'd have to abstain for an extended period before sampling each. I haven't tried GHK's yet, but I have a sampler pack I'll get to probably next month.