What's new

Kava Preparation Who has tried the Boiling Kava method ?

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I remember a video posted about it, I think Chris from GHK.
There seemed to be some genuine excitement about it.
But I've never heard anyone mention it since then, when describing their preparation.
If you've tried it, but no longer prepare that way, what was your reason for not practicing it ?
What are the pros and cons of boiling it as the primary process of preparation ?

Last edited:

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Thank you.
I see in that previoius post you used the term "hot water method".
So I have to ask, is the hot water method synonymous with the boiling method ?
Is just simply substituting hot water in a normal strain.
Or is it boiling an extended time, like this video ?

The hot water method usually just means kneading kava in the traditional way, using hot (usually tap) water between 100-140F. The boiling method speaks for itself.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
The hot water method usually just means kneading kava in the traditional way, using hot (usually tap) water between 100-140F. The boiling method speaks for itself.
Yea...that's what I thought. So, that's why I was curious about the reason he referred me to the hot water method, when I was inquiring about the results of the boiling method.

nashfire

Stay Rooted
I did the boil method quite a bit, worked great, a little sticky and more bitter but good. I now Alubottle 2 washes w/ 1st wash cold water and second wash with hot tap water(2 balls half full each 800-1000ml water, 2 min shaking) freeze makas and do blender and 3-4 more washes w/strainer bag. (12-16 Tbs of frozen makas in 8-9 cups hot water, blend 2-3 min in ninja, strain / knead 5 min. each wash after. Cut water in half each time. Last wash is basically one shell worth. (6oz)
Bula! ::aluball::::alubottle::::chugger::::kavaleaf::

Last edited:

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Pros: its more potent
Cons: it has the consistency of thickened gravy (yuck) and takes more time (seems like it takes almost as long as kneading just to get the thick liquid through a strainer bag).
Can the Con be compensated for, at all ? (the gravy texture)
By adding either a little water and/or flavor ?

If not, how about baking some biscuits or meat, and pouring the kava on top, and use it as a food, instead of a beverage :D
Maybe that way, you have your "food potentiator built in !

Last edited:

Saghloqh

Kava Curious
I think the boiling method really shines when you do if like this:

• Put kava in water, but less than what you want to end up with by about half (So 2 cups if you want to end up with a liter). Bring to boil, stir constantly for a couple mins.
  • Take off heat. Add a bunch of ice cubes because who likes waiting?
  • Fish ice cubes out when at the correct temp. Pour through your strainer, and added water (right through the strainer) until you have the desired amount of grog. This helps wash off some of the slippery stuff.
  • Knead for 5 mins.
  • Immediately, before drinking, do a second wash. Put your first wash aside, and then knead the second wash for a good 10 mins. I generally use half the water for the second wash (So in the above example, 500ml).
  • Combine both washes and enjoy.
I find you get a very different kavalactones profile if you go straight boil without much kneading. It gives me more anxiety, but if I knead the first wash, then do a second and combine them, and drink the resulting grog over a longer period of time, it's a more balanced effect.

Krunkaroo

Kava Enthusiast
It changes the effects for me that's why I boil just the makas now and use it as a foot bath and absorb the kava transdermally. It's really good.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
After my 7 years of using the boil method with lots of different kava strains I just wanted to say that I never get any dermo skin problems. This makes me think that the dermo breakouts that people have might be cuz of fungus. Boiling the kava would kill off any type of fungus or mold as well as any bacteria.....
Glad you got rid of the dermo. And that's helpful for all of us to know.
As for the fungus, I'm no medical expert, so this is just my opinion. But I don't think it's a fungus. My guess is that a fungus would cause more diverse reactions than the specific ones we know as dermo. I could be wrong though.
Thanks for sharing your valuable experience.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
They are more chill and well rounded, no edgyness just smooth sailing.
Thanks. That is so interesting, because I've heard of other people using remedies, not just transdermally, but on the feet in particular, so
there is something unique about foot absorption, apart from the fact that it's probably the most convenient way to soak. Certain physical
pathways transport and travel up from the feet

Zaphod

Kava Lover
After my 7 years of using the boil method with lots of different kava strains I just wanted to say that I never get any dermo skin problems. This makes me think that the dermo breakouts that people have might be cuz of fungus. Boiling the kava would kill off any type of fungus or mold as well as any bacteria.....
Interesting - but I don't think that is the issue. Some vendors specifically test for mold/fungas and bacteria and they are all really low. Part of the reason kava is dried is that it is easier to control those things on a dried product vs wet.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I've done the boiling method and didn't like it much in both flavor and affects. Not for me! I now alternate between hot and warm water with my kneading depending on my mood. :)
Yeah, the taste is god awful and very bitter. It for me also tends to make kava even very light heady kavas very heavy. Which is fine if that is what you are looking for - but it seems a shame to boil an nice light heady kava that has a nice taste.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
How can the taste of kava get any worse than it is ?
Taste is obviously subjective but I have had several kavas that are not bad to actually tasting good - most of them were light, mostly lawana, tongans and hawaiians. BKH F'U was darn tasty with a creamy almost vanilla flavor. Maybe unfair to compare but the fresh kava from RoH was very tasty as well. Almost always the kavas that were the worst were heavy hitters, and they were very bitter. So for me the bitterness is what kills the deal - and boiling your kava or using hot water will make it more bitter. That said, I will still choke down a kava made from hot tap water when I need a good kick of heavy to lock me down for the evening but it is not the most enjoyable drink.