What's new

Who here has taken Gabapentin & Kava?

-33-

Trailer Park Boys - watch it on netflix!
Have a friend who just started taking 300mg of Gabapentin at night for severe back-nerve pain... they also take 1-piece of kava candy occasionally when having trouble sleeping. Just trying to make sure this isn't an especially dangerous combination... seems like since they work on the same receptors, they might potentiate each other. There was a thread about this a year ago, though since it's being prescribed for pain WAY MORE OFTEN now (to almost everyone in pain), I figured some more people might have some experience with this now. If you have... what was your experience?

Thanks!

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
It may make you more drowsy than usual. Nothing else. I was well established on gabapentin before starting kava. 300mg 4 times a day. If grog and a dose happen to align, there’s more of a kick. I personally like it. No harm done after a year of going on this way.

kravanmd

So Gabapentins effect is through modulation of voltage gated calcium channels. Kava seems to do the same so in theory you could take less Gabapentin if you take kava with it. It would be a good choice as a Gabapentin replacement. Ive taken both together many times. They seem to go very well together but you do get more tired and wobbly with a body numbness. Go low and slow and if possible talk to your doctor.