What's new

Whole Kava/Kava Chips

kavalover

Outsider
Has anyone tried the whole kava root or the kava chips that Kona sells? I know most of you don't like this farm but I was curious if anyone tried these products and what your opinions where on them. I was surprised to see that they sold whole kava root, it's dried so nothing like paradise kava frozen root but I know we all can agree that it's pretty cool to get your kava before it's been ground. It's relatively cheap too so I might just buy a 1/2 pound sometime and write back.

(smiley: happy)

kl.alohasteve

Kava Curious
I tried the chips and wouldn't recommend it. The directions say to let it sit in water for 30 min., but they never seemed to absorb enough water and therefore didn't yield much kava. I ended up having to pull apart the chips and it was just a big hassle. Kind of neat to see the actual roots, but not much good for drinking.

I've never tried the whole kava roots, but I'd imagine this might be better than the chips. They were sold out when I last visited Kona Kava, so someone must be getting results.

Let us know how either works if you buy them!

kavalover

Outsider
Hey alohosteve! Didn't even see you replied here.. Yeah I wasn't going to get the chips anyways, was more interested in getting the whole root, and your experience on the chips pretty much seals the deal for me. I'll definitely report back once I try the whole root. Just got my order from Kava by Rex though so, probably won't be ordering anything for a while ;)

kavalover

Outsider
Received the whole root today. Smelled great upon opening, not much difference though compared to their mahakea except for an incredibly strong piney woody smell. As for effects, well I did two things today so far. First, I soaked a handful of roots in water for 30 minutes before chewing them into a thick pulp (chewing them alone nearly got me kunked heh) which is now soaking in warm water until tonight when I strain it. I want to get the most out of these. I'll let ya know how that prep goes tonight.

Then out of anticipation to actually consume these whole roots, I used my big coffee grinder to grind the roots into a nice flaky powder which prepared normally.

I feel like there was a much fresher taste, that strong woody piney aroma is still pulsating through my taste buds and I didn't get that with the original powdered form of this strain from kona kava. Not much difference to explore other than that.

So far though, I'd recommend it to anyone who really likes the kava experience as it's pretty cool to get the pre-ground roots however, I'd much rather invest in Paradise Kava's frozen kava pulp.

Excited to try out my chewed up root pulp though.

kl.Project460

Kava Enthusiast
Im a cheap guy so ive never even thought about ordering kona kava due to the bad reviews of the kava itself and customer service, but let us know how it goes! Always cool to try new things. Paradise kavas frozen root is great, but I found my liking to lean more towards their dry root. Its probably my favorite kava of all time.

kavalover

Outsider
Yeah Kona Kava is definitely not my favorite source of kava however I think the exaggerated bad rep they have surrounding them is undeserved.

My concoction of chewed root pulp and coconut milk I made turned out great, mildly strong effects that lasted for a few hours (very relaxing, really enjoyed reading for an hour so). Tasted fine. It was my first try with masticated root and, was different heh. More of a dull, old wood taste that was definitely kava but had something totally different going for it. Although the taste of kona kava farm's kava has always kind of bothered me for some reason.

Anyway, in conclusion the chewed whole root was definitely stronger in effects than the fresh ground I had prepared, but still nothing in comparison to a shell of Paradise kava Hawaiian blend (which I agree is becoming my favorite Hawaiian kava, easily) or Hawaiian kava center's mahakea or hiwa.

I am slightly let down by this purchase.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Believe me, the exaggerated bad rap is well deserved. Some of their products are nothing but straightforward scams.

kavalover

Outsider
I'm only talking from my experience, I've only yet tried the powdered root and instant kavas which I'm an occasional return customer for a good "lunch break" kava.

;)

I guess if you're referring to the kavalovetone capsules or like products I can't objectify as I've never tried them, and given the bad reviews, I don't think I ever will.

P.S. Do you know if they own that kava.com website? I ask because they only really hold kona kava in high regards and, well, compared to our other much loved vendors, that doesn't make much sense

starsofclay

Kava Enthusiast
yeah i wondered the same things. its like free advertising for them. and i hate that they are the first thing that comes up when you google kava.

that being said, i have found that i kinda like their powder, now that kava affects me better. if i want something relaxing but also very mild, i might think about them. but then i make some hkc hiwa instead.

kl.Gray Owl

Kava Enthusiast
starsofclay said:
yeah i wondered the same things. its like free advertising for them. and i hate that they are the first thing that comes up when you google kava.

that being said, i have found that i kinda like their powder, now that kava affects me better. if i want something relaxing but also very mild, i might think about them. but then i make some hkc hiwa instead.
I made a batch of kona today because I still have some and mixed in some N@H Shaman and I have to say it is pleasant tasting, it's more watery the root is just not as oily.  Hiwa is one of the things I haven't tried yet got to put that on the list, getting some fiji, isa and melomelo in a sampler pack from Kule'a.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
I turned off third-party cookies because I had just seen one too many ads for them.

To put the thread back on track, I did order a large bundle of rootlets.  I'm trying to stop eating so much, and I think having something more chewy might help better than just a beverage.