What's new

Why do my lips turn numb after kava?

calma

Kava Curious
Mouth becomes numb while consuming the drink. What it comes from. I read somewhere, Kavain and DHK externally constrict blood vessels when consuming the drink. But there is also no mention anywhere that drinking Kava causes blood vessels to constrict. And since they cause this locally, there should be a general vasconstriction of kava throughout the body

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Mouth becomes numb while consuming the drink. What it comes from. I read somewhere, Kavain and DHK externally constrict blood vessels when consuming the drink. But there is also no mention anywhere that drinking Kava causes blood vessels to constrict. And since they cause this locally, there should be a general vasconstriction of kava throughout the body
Kava is a topical anesthetic similar to lidocaine. It will make your lips, tongue, and mouth a bit numb when you drink it. After a particularly strong shell it can sometimes be tough to talk with the numbness. I can't say what the mechanism of action is.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Kava is a topical anesthetic similar to lidocaine. It will make your lips, tongue, and mouth a bit numb when you drink it. After a particularly strong shell it can sometimes be tough to talk with the numbness. I can't say what the mechanism of action is.

Voltage gated sodium ion channel blockade. Same action as Novocain or Lidocaine. It's also thought to contribute to kava's sedative actions.

Singh, Yadhu N., and Nirbhay N. Singh. 2002. “Therapeutic Potential of Kava in the Treatment of Anxiety Disorders.” CNS Drugs 16 (11): 731–43. https://doi.org/10.2165/00023210-200216110-00002.

jewalker7842

Kava Curious
It's perfectly normal for that to happen. You get used to it. After you drink kava for a while the throat numbing, lip tingling, and all that mouth sensation stuff you don't notice anymore. Also depending on how much you consume in a session you may get the stomach numbing feeling and confuse it for nasuea, but eat a light snack and you will be back to drinking some more earthy goodness.