What's new

Why I think traditional prep is better

KavaKhris

Kava Curious
Since I have been getting back into kava over the last 3-4mo, I have found traditional prep to be the best, for me anyway. Better than blender and aluball, which are the only other methods I have tried, I guess micro too if you consider that.

I think traditional prep really embraces the kava "spirit" and sort of primes you for mindfulness and peace. 10 minutes of kneading the root out on a beautiful evening relaxes me but also provides a sense of intention with the kava, and I find I respond better each and every time I traditional prep. It seems like almost 1/4-1/3 of the experience is that ritual, again, for me anyway.

I'll make very strong kava with aluball, judging from the taste and numbness, but I still don't have as complete or enjoyable of an experience as traditional. It almost seems to fly in the face of kava, though I also understand the convenience and not being able to traditional prep in certain situations.

Just a thought as I finish another few shells. What do you think?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I agree with you for the most part, I don't even really use an aluball or many anymore (I use the shaker bottle as the shell) All my sessions are made traditionally. I do find the blender helpful when re mixing/kneading frozen 2nd/3rd wash makas but otherwise I stick to traditional prep.

I eyeball everything since I always use the same containers for prep. I use approx. 800 ml of water, per wash, with 1/3-1/2 cup of root, depending on the root.

KavaKhris

Kava Curious
I agree with you for the most part, I don't even really use an aluball or many anymore (I use the shaker bottle as the shell) All my sessions are made traditionally. I do find the blender helpful when re mixing/kneading frozen 2nd/3rd wash makas but otherwise I stick to traditional prep.

I eyeball everything since I always use the same containers for prep. I use approx. 800 ml of water, per wash, with 1/3-1/2 cup of root, depending on the root.
Oh absolutely, I hope I didn't come across as belittling those methods, they are totally great and I use them too. Just find traditional prep is a little more synergistic if that makes sense?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Oh absolutely, I hope I didn't come across as belittling those methods,
Not at all, just my opinion.
they are totally great and I use them too. Just find traditional prep is a little more synergistic if that makes sense?
I agree I find it mentally soothing along with similar tunes like Dylan or sum..depending on my mood ;)