What's new

Why not just take pills or tincture vs drinking nasty mud?

Kavaguy

Kava Enthusiast
For those of you who don't like the taste of kava, and I would venture to say this applies to most of us, is there any less of an effect if one takes enough kava capsules or tincture? I realize that the directions on the bottles state to take a very minimum capsule or two, or a certain amt of drops, but is there any harm in taking say 20 capsules, or half a bottle of tincture? I realize it might cost a lot more to do, but I cant stand the taste of kava so much that I would be willing to pay a lot more to avoid it. I took 12 capsules of kava once and felt the effects a bit, but there is a part of me who is hesitant to take any more than that, in case there is something in the capsules which we should not ingest too much of.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
The history of kava tinctures, capsules, pills is tainted with controversy just too long to try and explain fully.
Granted-- they likely have improved* but back in the early 2000 these products were linked to the kava liver issue.
The traditional beverage made from dry or fresh root/stump has an abundance of ingredients not so much found in tinctures-etc.
Minerals, good microbiome, at least 15 amino acids and potassium...to name a few.
As for taste, I go by traditional again (I do not taste kava at all) by just tossing a 4-5 ounce cup right down.
*...but you cannot be sure exactly what is in these products as they have not so much regulation.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Mango or pineapple juice both do a good job of masking the taste. I had a friend who couldn't drink it straight but was fine with juice.

Kavaguy

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks. I found that if I bite into fresh pineapple, it does away with the bitter aftertaste, but the bromelain from the pineapple causes my tongue to hurt for days after. I I found that chasing with creamer tends to lower the bitter aftertaste.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I was tempted to try these, as they appear to be a reputable vendor from the forum, but after reading your post, I am not going to take any chances. Thanks.

@Alia speaks the truth.

Also, the pills just lack something that making traditional kava always provides. I think it has something to do with the rate of absorption difference between the two. I’m sure the ones there are probably safe. If you’re looking to get rooted, stick to real kava. It’s cheaper anyways.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Traditional is just better in every way. I can also clarify that the health food store kava pills or tinctures are one of the worst tasting things on earth when they come back up. :yuck::wtf:

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
I am one that has issues with the taste. That being said, I learned one thing that also helps is to dilute dilute dilute. I was making it too concentrated. I tend to use micronized (different grades and quality). Traditional is always better on my taste buds but I still dilute it. If a batch is too strong or I don’t want to feel and sound like a water bottle, I will use tang in a pinch.

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
Also, Kava Candy taste great. I will brag on them every time! You will not get krunk on them but they will impart a nice chill feel. I think @Kapmcrunk called them krunk necromaner awhile back. Something about popping a few after a good session has ended and bringing it back... ???

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Also, Kava Candy taste great. I will brag on them every time! You will not get krunk on them but they will impart a nice chill feel. I think @Kapmcrunk called them krunk necromaner awhile back. Something about popping a few after a good session has ended and bringing it back... ???
Yes! 4 Kava candies would bring back my krunk from the night before. Had to be careful with those.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
For those of you who don't like the taste of kava, and I would venture to say this applies to most of us, is there any less of an effect if one takes enough kava capsules or tincture? I realize that the directions on the bottles state to take a very minimum capsule or two, or a certain amt of drops, but is there any harm in taking say 20 capsules, or half a bottle of tincture? I realize it might cost a lot more to do, but I cant stand the taste of kava so much that I would be willing to pay a lot more to avoid it. I took 12 capsules of kava once and felt the effects a bit, but there is a part of me who is hesitant to take any more than that, in case there is something in the capsules which we should not ingest too much of.
Well you could call us fuddy duddy traditionalists which might not be too far from the truth but to be honest extracts and pills have never given me the same effect. The more you drink traditional grog the more it grows on you. I don't mind the taste of most kavas. Sure there are some that still illicit a crazy headed dog shake - but most go down pretty smooth and are even able to be sipped versus chugging. My wife who originally couldn't even stand the smell, now regularly bangs back bitter grog with a smile. So my only suggestion is keep at it, with small amounts and I think you will find like Porsche there just is no substitute.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
My wife who originally couldn't even stand the smell, now regularly bangs back bitter grog with a smile.
You possess powers no mortal man could wield. To move someone from not being able to stand the smell to kicking back with you is a feat among feats.

Kavaguy

Kava Enthusiast
You guys made the case for not touching pills or tinctures, thanks. I tried the kava candies, but since I need to normally brew a half cup of medium grind in order to feel anything at all, I need to eat about 6 of the kava candies in order to feel the slightest of anything. And the fact that there is also lemon balm and chamomile in them makes me much more sleepy than the kava.

On a different note, I have noticed that when I post a thread and check the box indicating I would like to be sent emails when new posts are made, I do get the emails for the first few, but then they stop after that. Is it just me, or has anyone noticed the email notifications are not indefinite?

DottyLotty

Kava Curious
I have just ordered some candies(really .for the convenience when travelling) but as they are coming from the USA heavens knows when I will get them (I have some paste ordered which was dispatched nearly a month ago !) How many candies will soothe the anxiety knot ? I Ieem to have a pretty low tolerance thus far to Kava,and 2 dessert spoonfuls of micronized gets me through the day, so I am hoping you are going to say 2 !! As they are pretty expensive !

kavaaa

Kavalier
Some instant kavas (not micronized but real instants) have a very mild taste. I use some of GHK's instants and mix it into chocolate Almond Breeze and I cant taste it at all. Sometimes I mix it with apple juice instead. Get some real instants and try mixing those into chocolate milk or juice and I bet it will be much easier for you to drink.

fueledbykava

Kava enthusiast
The history of kava tinctures, capsules, pills is tainted with controversy just too long to try and explain fully.
Granted-- they likely have improved* but back in the early 2000 these products were linked to the kava liver issue.
The traditional beverage made from dry or fresh root/stump has an abundance of ingredients not so much found in tinctures-etc.
Minerals, good microbiome, at least 15 amino acids and potassium...to name a few.
As for taste, I go by traditional again (I do not taste kava at all) by just tossing a 4-5 ounce cup right down.
*...but you cannot be sure exactly what is in these products as they have not so much regulation.
Interesting, I haven't seen any reports yet that include other macro/micro nutrients other than the Kavalactone content, do you have any such examples? Thanks!

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
Some instant kavas (not micronized but real instants) have a very mild taste. I use some of GHK's instants and mix it into chocolate Almond Breeze and I cant taste it at all. Sometimes I mix it with apple juice instead. Get some real instants and try mixing those into chocolate milk or juice and I bet it will be much easier for you to drink.
I can second this.