What's new

Worst tasting kava I've ever had!

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I have been known to shake my head like a dog, that then develops into a full body shake followed by a large blaeach guttural sound when encountering a really strong or bitter grog. This is then followed by the usual talking to myself and psyching myself up for the final push to get the rest of it down "you got this" like bro talk in the gym.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
@Kava Time for sake of balance I had the Ambae's tonight and it tasted fine. Nice effects too.
It is also very worth noting that most of Kava Time's kavas are not fire dried (Ambae's included). Ironically, I find Savusavu much more pleasant tasting than Ambae's; but man that stuff [Ambae's] is potent! The description usually says whether they are fire dried or not. Also, the intensity of smokiness varies from batch to batch.

Last edited:

PapaMoi

Kava Enthusiast
It is also very worth noting that most of Kava Time's kavas are not fire dried (Ambae's included). Ironically, I find Savusavu much more pleasant tasting that Ambae's; but man that stuff is potent! The description usually says whether they are fire dried or not. Also, the intensity of smokiness varies from batch to batch.
Which are you saying is potent here? The savusavu or the ambae? Trying to ask which is stronger.

PapaMoi

Kava Enthusiast
Do you know I've not tried any squanch kava yet. I shied away from heady Fijians for quite a while as they just weren't my bag. I might just have to try a bag of each for reviewing purposes.
Squanch Waka is a whole different animal. No pun intended. It seems to be heady and heavy in all the right ways imho.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Which are you saying is potent here? The savusavu or the ambae? Trying to ask which is stronger.
They're both potent. But the Ambae's is more potent, but heavier. The "potent" comment was made in reference to the fact that I don't prefer the taste, but I like the potency (unless I go overboard; this is an example of a noble kava that can give me an afterglow the next day).

Last edited:

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
This is quite strange, considering I find Savusavu to be much better tasting than both Taveuni’s Secret and Ambae’s Kava. Maybe I’ve just got two different batches than yours, or maybe it’s because I immediately chase the Kava with water, therefore eliminating the chance of getting an aftertaste. Idk.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
This is quite strange, considering I find Savusavu to be much better tasting than both Taveuni’s Secret and Ambae’s Kava. Maybe I’ve just got two different batches than yours, or maybe it’s because I immediately chase the Kava with water, therefore eliminating the chance of getting an aftertaste. Idk.
It could well be just this batch.

TJo

Kava Curious
Sheesh, I'm glad that Squanch has been brought up. I thought I was only one of few that find Squanch (Waka infact.) so difficult to chug down, the taste is so strong and tastes like very bitter powdered wood.

BUT SQUANCH IS GREAT STRONG KAVA! please don't let this put you off buying.

Last edited: