What's new

Worst thing you have combined your kava with

Shantu

Kava Curious
So what's the worst thing you have combined your kava with on your never-ending quest to save your tastebuds? Anything that you thought would help mask the taste, but in the end made it only worse tenfold? We have all these nice little recipe topics. Why not have something different, something opposite to that? :D

Personally I'm not much of a mixer. Only tried to use some milk once in a traditional prep. About half water, half milk. But damn, that was nasty.. I could barely keep it down, let alone get myself to drink the rest. :grumpy:

Share your experiments so that we may all learn and have a laugh.::happyshell::

Roaddog

Kava Who?
In my household Kava can and often is made with anything considered a drinkable liquid. My wife uses, Teas Juices, cool aids, you name, it. She walks down the isle of the store, and just starts grabbing tasty stuff to make kava with. I would not try milk, because I'm allergic. But I have used Almond soy milk, and that's pretty good. Also I like to use a little coconut oil. But the question was what was the worst thing I have made kava out of taste wise. My answer would be water. Water grogs are horrible. But 90% of my kavas are made with water. I don't drink kava for the taste, If I did I would prefer a Coke. I drink it for its properties. Being I don't have a gag reflex, even though it taste bad, I can chug a water grog down. I probably do this, so my wife can use all the fancy stuff, and be a little easer on my pocket book. Now adding Foo, Foo things can improve taste, but can add up financially after a while. I'm not trying to be too frugal. Also must be kind to wife. She gets the sweat tasting kavas, I get the ol water grog. There are many examples of this in our house hold. Especially in the bathroom. Me I can live with a bar of soap, and a razor. My wife must have an entire make up, shampoo shop, in our bathroom. I feel like I run around saving, and she runs around spending. But that's just the give and take of marriage. I give, and she takes. See how it works? Just Kidding I love, @Roaddogs Wife , and would do anything I can so her kava is tasty. Much love. Roaddog....

NZdude

Kava Curious
I read on here about mixing lemon juice with your grog, so I tried it once, and didnt think that I had used milk, like I always used to, instead of water. Needless to say that miilk and lemon doesnt mix well, add to that kava, and it made me vomit bad :sick::sick:. Never again!

Steve T

Kava Enthusiast
I usually take liquid magnesium chloride before I start drinking kava. It tastes like complete shit, maybe worse than kava. One time I put 2-4mL magnesium in a cup and assumed that I had mixed it with orange juice and already chugged it. So I just poured kava in the cup and chugged the kava. After finishing I realized that the usual mud, cow-poo-poo boroguru flavor had hints of cow urine in it and tasted remarkably bad tonight. Then I realized that it was a mix of magnesium and kava.

Actually it wasn't that bad. We always talk about how to hide kava flavor with other flavors. It's the other way around, if you have to drink something horribly disgusting then just add kava to it, the nasty kava flavor dwarfs all the other flavors.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I've never mixed kava with anything, but often chase it with a bite of pineapple or dill pickle. It works excellently for the 1st couple shells. But by the time I hit shell 3 and 4, it becomes downright abusive to be chewing on both flavors at once.
...and yet, in 30 minutes time, I'll be repeating this process.
The whole Vanuatu-spitting-and-hacking tradition makes more and more sense every day.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
I've never mixed kava with anything, but often chase it with a bite of pineapple or dill pickle. It works excellently for the 1st couple shells. But by the time I hit shell 3 and 4, it becomes downright abusive to be chewing on both flavors at once.
...and yet, in 30 minutes time, I'll be repeating this process.
The whole Vanuatu-spitting-and-hacking tradition makes more and more sense every day.
Dill pickle? Very interesting. Much love. Roaddog....

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
yup...sounds gross, but the strong vinegar and sourness cut the flavor quick...........for a while. :wtf:

Grant Moore

Don't be in a hurry to go no where.
i once found this pineapple soda and thought it would be awesome mixed with some coconut water. It was a huge mistake. I thought it might have been the kava making it taste bad, but it turned out the soda had actually soured some how. That's what I get for buying soda at Save-A-Lot.:wtf:

Roaddog

Kava Who?
i once found this pineapple soda and thought it would be awesome mixed with some coconut water. It was a huge mistake. I thought it might have been the kava making it taste bad, but it turned out the soda had actually soured some how. That's what I get for buying soda at Save-A-Lot.:wtf:
yea, I pretty sure any soda from Save-A-Lot, will have that effect. What ever you do, stay away from the Bubba cola. That stuff is terrible. never found a soda, I couldn't choke down, until Bubba Cola. Much love. Roaddog....

D

Deleted User01

Actually, some micro or instant in a bloody mary mix sounds pretty good. I gotta try it.

I usually use Coconut Water but my wife got me the Mexican Brand and it turned out to be more milky. Anyway, like @HenryG said, it turned into a slimy, thick, gooey mess. I still drank it but I wanted to hurl everytime I took a swallow. That brand would have been better for Pina Coladas. So now I make sure she gets the Sprouts Brand which has the name H2O OR C2O or something like that in big letters. It is very watery the way I like it.

P.S. I tried boiling Kava per Chris's recipe and it also came out slimy. I don't mind grittiness, but sliminess makes me wanna gag.

KavaCat

Meow.
Tried the simmered kava, and that was the worst. But I generally can not drink any fizzy stuff combined with kava. I think the fizz just emphasizes any bad flavors.

Grant Moore

Don't be in a hurry to go no where.
yea, I pretty sure any soda from Save-A-Lot, will have that effect. What ever you do, stay away from the Bubba cola. That stuff is terrible. never found a soda, I couldn't choke down, until Bubba Cola. Much love. Roaddog....
Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind if i ever dare to buy soda from them again.

violet

Do all things with love
For me, just about everything makes kava taste worse. Sometimes mixing different kavas together creates an unthinkably nasty grog. Chasers always welcome, but never any mixers :wtf:. Oddly enough even the worst of kavas doesn't taste that bad to me anymore.

D

Deleted User01

Grog is always nasty. But Micronized or Instant in a mixer with ice is very, very nice.