What's new

WOW! Kava is Available Again

Can I expect a noticeable difference from Nakamal's Fijian? 

Yeah, I wasn't very careful when I ordered and didn't notice that I was only getting half the quantity, but I'm still excited to try it.   Next Saturday most likely.

Would you all say that the video instructions for how to prepare kava that is posted on Nakamal's site is a good instructional video?  As a n00b I've been using that as my guide, but I just want to make sure I'm going things correctly.

kl.Project460

Kava Enthusiast
ehh not really. You can use that method if you want dont get me wrong, i used it for a good couple monthes. But then I got into the hand squeezing, which works alott better, just takes more time.

Pretty much you massage the kava for 10 minutes and make sure you get everything out of it, It makes it so you use less root. I can make 16 shells with 1 cup of root versus the 4 shells with 1 cup of root on their instructions.

On the other hand you can do both. Just up to your preference.

Project460 said:
ehh not really. You can use that method if you want dont get me wrong, i used it for a good couple monthes. But then I got into the hand squeezing, which works alott better, just takes more time.

Pretty much you massage the kava for 10 minutes and make sure you get everything out of it, It makes it so you use less root. I can make 16 shells with 1 cup of root versus the 4 shells with 1 cup of root on their instructions.

On the other hand you can do both. Just up to your preference.
I'm sorry, I'm a bit confused by this.  Based on the video that I see they do hand-wring the hell out of it to get as much out of it as they can, they just skip over parts to shorten the video. 

Here's the video I'm using for a guide:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5jnAghmlPE

If that's not right, how should I be doing things differently? 

Thank you

kl.Project460

Kava Enthusiast
Well that way does work, but if you do this you get more out of your kava:

1. Pick your ratio, half a cup of root to 4 cups is a good way to start. So put that in your container with warm water (i use 140F)

2. Let it sit for about 10 minutes if its finely ground, most of N@Hs are besides nuigini and chief jungle, those take longer.

3. Pour it through a strainer bag like you would in the video, but instead of wringing it, put it into a ball in the strainer bag, and hold it underwater while squeezing it and massaging it with your fingers. Do this for about 10 minutes. Then wring everything out of it like you normally would.

4. Run it through the strainer bag again once its rinsed (or your can use a new unused strainer bag meant for the last strain like me) and BULA you are finished. A good way to get it cold quick is to just put 3 ice cubes in a cup and pour roughly half a shell in it and swish it around for 20 seconds and its cold. Hope this helps! Oh and this video kind of shows what I mean by kneading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EsO2YzYrPw

pretty cool video too!

kl.Project460

Kava Enthusiast
Wow is a really really good kava. Probably the best Vanuatuan (sp?) strain you can buy in the U.S. But stone is just too similar in my opinion. If you like stone, you will like kavabyrex's fiji waka also. The price on wow! kava used to be 30 US dollars which was a "alright" price for it. Now its just too high for me. Maybe pick up a bag of wow for a special occasion, but other than that it is just too pricey for my taste comparing to other kavas available.
Also, ive had bad luck with chief jungles too. The only time its useful to me was mixing it with stone, it really seemed to bump things up, on its own its only really had any effects once or twice out of about 20 times. Plus it tastes alot worse than some kavas out there, but the taste grows on you after a while.

kl.shinobi7

Kava Curious
too bad im missing out on nakamal @ homes good stuff. They dont ship to Canada. I guess ill stick to REX and Bula House.(Bored)

Steve973

Kava Curious
For some reason, Wow is hard for me to drink. It doesn't even taste that bad, but I have some trouble getting it down. Then, I feel a little bit nauseous for about 10 or 20 minutes. It doesn't even really taste that bad, either, so I'm not sure why. Tonight I mixed a quarter cup of it with a cup of water and some soy lecithin.

Dan

Kava Enthusiast
Gah, this stuff is so powerful, definitely my favorite N@H product at the moment.  (Latest batch of usual second-favorite Chief's Jungle seems a little weak by comparison.)  And this latest batch of Wow!, which arrived in the mail two weeks ago, seems especially potent.
But boy did I officially drink too much of it earlier this evening.  I brewed 6tbs kava/3cups water, and got most of it down the hatch at 6:40pm (and on a totally empty stomach).  
Then I was off to a local movie screening.  By the time my GF and I arrived (ten minutes later - she drove, of course) I was wholly krunk, and in the twenty minutes before the screening began, I was milling around and talking to people but, for the first time ever with kava, was actually slurring my words and having a difficult time following conversations.  I was physically uncoordinated, and, alas, somewhat self-conscious about my condition.
While physically it all truly felt lovely, it was officially too much for me, just too much a stoned/drunk head feeling, and in a way that was new to me for kava.  (When the movie began, for instance, its subtitles were unreadable and double-vision-y at first - like looking at a 3D movie without the glasses.)  
So, wow.  I usually max out around 3tbs with Wow!, and this time nearly twice as much was drunk, and on an unusually empty stomach at that.   It was good to figure where my threshold is, but I probably won't be returning to this same amount of kava any time soon.  
Really this is my roundabout repeat endorsement of Wow!  Love the stuff.  But one can definitely overdo it.