What's new

Powdered Kava Review WOW

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
NAKAMAL AT HOME
wow_kava_logo.png

First off, this is N@H's repackaging of John Fordham's "5 Star Kava". He's a big supplier (Klin Kava) based out of Vanuatu and supplies a couple line items for Nakamal @ Home. A couple other sites sell this "5 Star Kava" for as much as $75 per pound, so even N@H's $53+ is pretty good price in comparison.

According to the supplier, this kava is processed in a special way that helps preserve more kavalactones. He says most kava that's dried, on the village level, often gets washed and dried several before getting to you. Over-processing weakens the product. The cultivar used is 90% Borogoru 10% Melo Melo. He says he's moving away from Melo Melo because the plant can more easily be mistaken with Tudei.

It's "connoisseur grade' title, does indeed seem to hold up, if you've had a lot of experience with kava to gauge by. It's the real deal, but nothing too outrageous. It is satisfyingly potent, even at 6 TBSP (for me)...I often used more and still wasn't completely blown away. It was always nice and strong though and the flavor is surprisingly tolerable relative to it's strength.

The flavor was earthy but mild, with a little pine-zing ala Kalm's Borongoru and a slight hint of the nutty flavor I get from GHK's Boroguru. Tasting a pinch of the dry powder was quite numbing and the scent is very reminiscent to Kalm's Borongoru.

The effect is fairly sedating. Definitely on the heavier side, but not the heaviest kava I've had. A heavy 245xxx style "medicinal"/noble kava was what I was looking for and this fit the bill quite nicely. Deep calmness, slow movements, peaceful carefree sedation and deep sleep are it's main components. It's slightly less joyful/happy and a bit more emotionally numbing.

At the time I got this kava, I was drinking a lot of lighter, heady, kavain-centric kavas and there was a noticeable difference about waking myself up the following morning when I started drinking this one. If you've got work to be doing, I'd reserve this one for a couple nights a week, or at least consume it more mildly than I do.

Overall, great kava. Awesome PPT (Potency-Per-Tablespoon, add that to the kava-dictionary) and a good flavor to potency ratio.
It's pretty heavy compared to most other nobles, so it's nice to have the option available. A couple tablespoons of micronized Mo'i puts a little extra sparkle in it and makes it something closer to Mahakea. Without the Mo'i, it's quite similar to how GHK's Boroguru felt to me. In fact, both of them also worked as a mild, natural laxative in the same way too. Without fail.

wow-bag.JPG
wow-grind.JPG
wow-shell.JPG

next review: Kalm's Pouni Ono
kava-snob-small.jpg

Last edited:

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Awesome review! You should publish a book titled "Shaka's Kava Companion: Your guidebook to the world's best kava" :)

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
What a superb review @shakas (aka kava snob)!!! I also really liked the little blurb of coming attractions. I'm having to dig out my bag of Wow! now just to help kalm me down from the anxious anticipation I now have waiting for your next review. :)
ExcellentReview.jpg

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
What a superb review @shakas (aka kava snob)!!! I also really liked the little blurb of coming attractions. I'm having to dig out my bag of Wow! now just to help kalm me down from the anxious anticipation I now have waiting for your next review. :)
View attachment 2775
seal-hodge.png
<- you can keep that, still gotta make you your other thing.
Yup, next review is gonna be Kalm's Tongan. Won't be as lengthy cuz I only had it two nights. But I liked it more than I thought I would and will buy a full bag of it at some point, to really dig in.