What's new

Yerba Mate

kl.Project460

Kava Enthusiast
have any of you guys tried this stuff? Sounds good and its realllllly cheap. Just wondering how you prepare it and the effects it gives off.

kl.Project460

Kava Enthusiast
Sounds interesting. Im probably going to end up ordering some when solomon gets back in with my order. How did you prepare it? just like kava?

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
No, not at all. Yerba Mate is a hot tea. It is actually just as hard to make as Kava, but is totally different. You have to get a special kind of gourd and put the yerba mate inside and use a straw called a bombilla to drink it. You should look it up on YouTube. It has a high caffeine "matteine" content, but it isn't exactly caffeine. It is much more sustained than coffee, and the main reason you can tell it isn't caffeine is because you will still get a coffee head ache if you stop coffee.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I just started drinking it in place of coffee last week, after not drinking it for a long time. It is AMAZING! If you drink some in the morning and then again after lunch you will have a good sustained energy level all day with no jittery peaks. Yerba mate is the anti-Kava, though. Don't drink them back-to-back.

kl.rcvjohn

Kava Curious
Hello everyone, I'm new here... been browsing and decided to join in.

Yerba is something I'm a big fan of. But you have to buy the good stuff. There's a whole lot of junk out there that's been sitting around for years. Many companies even use the term 'aged' as a bonus in their product description. But after trying about a dozen different types, I found one that feels amazing.

I'm a coffee junkie, and I hate the way it makes me feel. I don't know why I keep going back. I find myself in a cycle of loading myself with coffee and then drinking beer at night to calm down... so I'm mellowing that cycle by drinking mate and water during the day and kava at night.

So right now I'm making my way through a 1/2 pound of tongan, and for Yerba I use Mate Factor. Their yerba is so fresh and green tasting, and doesn't make me nearly as jittery and such... actually, I will get almost angry if I drink too much of other brands.

Anyhoo... that's my two cents.

kl.Korgai

Kava Curious
I thought I was the only one! I've stopped using yerba mate altogether because of the rage it would instill in me. I've been using Guayaki, which I don't think is aged, so I don't know what the cause of the rage is. Will have to give mate factor a try.

kl.voodoo

Kava Curious
Yeah, it's good stuff. Supposed to be super healthy as well. It's got lots of vitamins normally found in dark green veggies. Haven't had some in a while, but used to drink a lot. Guayaki organic loose mate was my regular. Pretty good.

kl.rcvjohn

Kava Curious
Guyaki actually is decent, But not as fresh as I like it. At Mate Factor you get it when it's no more than two months old. It's nice because all those tasty enzymes are still in tact. Once I tried it I was sold.

The difference was huge. When it sits on the shelf, all that's left is caffeine. But when you get fresh, the caffeine is bonded w all sorts of b vitamins and other goodies. I'm an intense guy as it is... Those b vitamins are much needed.

Speaking of, is it true that kava depletes b vitamins?

So yeah, to be honest, mate is super easy and super cheap. Rick and Rodrigo's yerba mate store has the best selection and prices.

As far as effects, it contains not only caffeine, but thebromine and theophyline as well as vitamins and mineral, so it acts not only as an upper, but a muscle relaxant and analgesic.

There is no such thing as "mateine", the reason for the slow onset of caffeine's effects is due to the generally lower levels of caffeine and longer duration of ingestion. The reason coffee hit's you hard and fast is because when you drink coffee, some caffeine is absorbed by your gums, and therefore heads straight for the brain. 

The trick is to use anywhere from 25-50 grams of tea at a time, and continually refill your gourd until either the flavor is gone, or you start shaking!

Right now I'm feeling fine thanks to a blend of yerba mate, chamomile, bolero, and coca leaves :)

So yeah, to be honest, mate is super easy and super cheap. Rick and Rodrigo's yerba mate store has the best selection and prices.

As far as effects, it contains not only caffeine, but thebromine and theophyline as well as vitamins and mineral, so it acts not only as an upper, but a muscle relaxant and analgesic.

There is no such thing as "mateine", the reason for the slow onset of caffeine's effects is due to the generally lower levels of caffeine and longer duration of ingestion. The reason coffee hit's you hard and fast is because when you drink coffee, some caffeine is absorbed by your gums, and therefore heads straight for the brain. 

The trick is to use anywhere from 25-50 grams of tea at a time, and continually refill your gourd until either the flavor is gone, or you start shaking!

Right now I'm feeling fine thanks to a blend of yerba mate, chamomile, bolero, and coca leaves :)

kavalover

Outsider
I use Mate Factor. Their yerba is so fresh and green tasting, and doesn't make me nearly as jittery and such...
I might have to buy some of this as it's so cheap. I've knows about Mate for some time now, but only became interested in trying this "drink of the gods" until recently.

Anyone who has tried the Mate from N@H, is it good stuff? It looks much more appealing seeing as it's not pre-packaged in teabags.

If someone with some experience in Yerba Mate could point me to a good vender, it'd be appreciated.

Project460 said:
have any of you guys tried this stuff? Sounds good and its realllllly cheap. Just wondering how you prepare it and the effects it gives off.
I'm actually a kavahead and a matehead.  I've made kava with yerba mate, usually the mate makes the kava more pallatable but sometimes it makes it worse, it depends on the kava strain.  The last one I made smelled like horseshit.

It IS possible to get the jitters, just like with coffee, if you drink too much mate.  Moderation is key: in moderate amounts it's a natural stimulant.

The yuyeras, curanderas (healers and shamans) from Paraguay, say that mate brings out the medicinal qualities of other herbs.  Mate increases the medicine of kava.  So does young coconut water, for that matter, and it makes it taste much better.

I usually drink mate with the gourd, warmed up.  But it tastes better cold or iced, sweetened (I use stevia) and with lemonade.  This is a Paraguayan drink and it's called 'tereré'.  Other citrus fruit drinks also work with mate.