What's new

Your favorite vendor/cultivar from the last year?

Jacob Bula

Nobody
In 2019 I kicked alcohol for good. A few months into 2020 I gave kava a try when alcohol cravings started kicking in and I felt those cinvincing thoughts coming back on how I could "just have a six pack of craft beer" or "maybe apple cider would be as addictive"... I was scared to try kava because of previous anxiety about liver health, but reading kava reddit, a few posts from KF, and reading KWK's website calmed those fears and I gave it a shot.

I started out with KWK due to how professional the website and packaging was, and how they advertised their lab testing. There packaging makes kava look like something you would find on the shelf of Kroger. I tried Borongoru and it immediately calmed me and told me this is so much better than alcohol. I felt a wave of relief from addiction, and told my wife I'd rather have this than alcohol even if I was offered both.

I then tried their Vula Waka and Loa Waka, I liked both, but wanted something more balanced and with more of a punch. I ordered N@h Stone for heaviness afterwards, and it caused too much lethargy for me.

Shortly after I gave Bula House Kava's Melo Melo and Nambawan. Wow. Nambawan was intense, with heaviness and headiness. Melo Melo was more balanced, but so well rounded and I could feel that kavain smile and fuzzy heavy body feeling quickly and yet it stuck around through the night.

I later tried Best Fiji Kava due to the sales, and was blown away by the price to effects ratio.

All in all, for me Bula Kava House Melo Melo and Nambawan are going to be my go to purchases for this year. I was never disappointed with the effects. The shipping was always quick. The grog was always thick and greasy. They do lab testing. I just can't see myself ordering anything else. They were the only vendor I ordered back to back. Shout out to Bula Kava House for doing an excellent job.

What were you guys' favorites the past year?

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized
In 2019 I kicked alcohol for good. A few months into 2020 I gave kava a try when alcohol cravings started kicking in and I felt those cinvincing thoughts coming back on how I could "just have a six pack of craft beer" or "maybe apple cider would be as addictive"... I was scared to try kava because of previous anxiety about liver health, but reading kava reddit, a few posts from KF, and reading KWK's website calmed those fears and I gave it a shot.

What were you guys' favorites the past year?
You named some great kavas. One of my favorite new cultivars was Kelai from New Zealand Kava Society. Heady but close to balanced effects. Great taste. Very potent, long lasting. 2021 is looking like a great year.

Jacob Bula

Nobody
You named some great kavas. One of my favorite new cultivars was Kelai from New Zealand Kava Society. Heady but close to balanced effects. Great taste. Very potent, long lasting. 2021 is looking like a great year.
Yes, I really, really want to try New Zealand Kava Society Kelai. If cost wasn't an issue it would be my next order.

krunkgod

Kava Enthusiast
Nambawan is probably my least favorite kava. It made me feel pretty dysphoric last time I had it.

favorite is solomon from n@h or RoH, and of course fresh frozen Hanakapi'ai from Pu'u O Hoku Ranch

fueledbykava

Kava enthusiast
Between all of the vendors and cultivars that I've tried, Gourmet Hawaiian Kava's Moi variety has definitely been my favorite. I personally like the taste of Gourmet Hawiian Kava's a lot, and love the effects of Moi the best of all the varieties that I've tried so far (I think I've tried all of the heady ones, since I prefer heady to heavy effects personally). I also loved FijiFreskKava's Loa Lawena for taste, effects, and freshness, but my tolerance has gone up to the point that I need a ton of it to feel much of the effects :)

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Yes, I really, really want to try New Zealand Kava Society Kelai. If cost wasn't an issue it would be my next order.
Last time I ordered Kelai from Henry, it was 2 kg's, to UK, at £122 per kg.

That's really not expensive for high quality kava, IMO.

I have 2 kg's Bir Kar en route, at about £125 per kg all in.

So it's right within the ball park of the other top quality kavas in the world as far as Im aware.

I just don't think people need to be as put off by price from trying KS's kavas.

Of course, it's different for US residents with everything right there on your doorstep, cheap postage, vs me a Brit. Going to US or NZ makes no worthwhile difference to me, cost wise.

I like the Borongoru very much. I tried KWK's Borogoru last year. It was nothing special to me. I only really finished it because it was open in the cupboard, in rotation.

The KS Borongoru felt to me to be on a different level. Stonger, warmer, happier, and more enjoyable.

I am feeling drawn to it, which is always an indicative sign. And I am not exactly a heavy kava preferrer either. I like a balance, mix and match.