What's new

Your personal favorite go-to's for managing anxiety, besides Kava.

Russell Caruso

TravelingMan
I have struggled with anxiety for a very long time, I truthfully sometimes forget how strong the anti-anxiety effects of Kava are until I go without it for several days. Sometimes, I just don't feel like shelling. What are your guys' favorite things to relieve anxiety besides Kava? Doesn't have to be a substance, could be something as simple as meditation as breathing exercises. Just curious to see what others on here do to manage their anxiety levels.

greenbeen

Kava Enthusiast
great question. for me: nature walk, fishing if the environment is quiet/peaceful, using a breathing app on my phone, music if i choose the right songs.
hiking with my dog/nature walk has always been my favorite and most effective.

ThatDankK

̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з= ( ▀ ͜͞ʖ▀) =ε/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿ ̿ ̿̿
I have panic disorder so I understand anxiety far too well.
Here's my list of things:
1. CBD and Kava
2. Being in nature
3. Nicotine
4. Gaming, but it has to be immersive to distract me
5. Watching something I can immerse myself in
6. Listening to loud music, loud enough that I can't think

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Light a candle
Walk or put around in the yard
Clean something
bathe the self
squeeze kava and knock shells like you're on fire!
Build and relax around a fire, listening to nature.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I have struggled with anxiety for a very long time, I truthfully sometimes forget how strong the anti-anxiety effects of Kava are until I go without it for several days. Sometimes, I just don't feel like shelling. What are your guys' favorite things to relieve anxiety besides Kava? Doesn't have to be a substance, could be something as simple as meditation as breathing exercises. Just curious to see what others on here do to manage their anxiety levels.
If you want to try non-drug/medicine driven techniques you should look into different breathing exercises. Wim Hoff is one that is easy to follow and do on your own and I enjoy. I don't do the cold exposure that he does but one round of his breath work can immediately ward off anxiety and improve my mood. It even gives me a slight "heady" buzz. The first time I did his technique I was able to hold my breath for 1min 49sec on the third round. My longest so far is close to 2.5 minutes. I have also tried several other breath techniques (all without a "official coach") just trying different things from online videos. They can be very effective and easy to do almost anywhere. Just a caution though - if you do something like Wim Hoff where you are holding your breath lay down. There is a chance of passing out.

Fushi88

Kava Enthusiast
Oh, I forgot about these - Sometimes they help, other times they just make me sleepy. Only real downer is they take a while to kick in so if you're borderline panic attack you're gonna have to hold on for a bit. If I feel one coming on and I can get one in me before I'm at the "Where the fuck are my ativan" stage it's more effective. But that's just me.

Attachments

Rand McNally

Kava Curious
Supplement-wise, there are a number of things that help, and a stack seems to work the best (for me) rather than waiting an hour to find out that the one thing you took had little or no effect.

1) L-Theanine (This hits a ceiling at 400mg iirc)
2 ) Magnesium GLYCINATE (Magnesium attached to a glycine molecule, which has additional calming properties. This may um, "enhance" your pooping capabilities too, so go slow or you'll go fast ; ) I take 2200mg which is the recommended "serving" size.
3) Bacopa (Ayurvedic herb, as is ashwagandha)
4) Ashwagandha (adaptogen that additionally stimulates dopamine production, so mood enhancement as well)
5) Chamomile
6) Lemon balm
7) Passion Flower (be careful, as there may be contraindications with meds you may be taking, SSRI's are one iirc)
8) Valerian Root
9) 5-HTP (helps with serotonin production like St. Johns Wort does, but is a bit more impactful and shouldn't be taking for extended periods or you risk serotonin down-regulation (your brain will make less, based on receiving it from an external source. Also has additional mood enhancing properties).
10) Red K@. (If you know, you know. Saved this for 2nd to last because it can be addictive and you will create a physical dependency if taken every day, esp multiple times per day. Withdrawals from daily use, esp at high dosages are akin to opioid withdrawals and will INCREASE anxiety dramatically. Best for a couple of times a week at most. Additional dramatic mood enhancement, as it is a partial opioid agonist.
11) Phenibut EXTREME CAUTION ! (hits gaba B receptors as opposed to benzodiazapines which hit the A's, so it doesn't make you tired. 2x a week at most. Withdrawals from abuse are beyond horrible. This may cause rebound anxiety (typically 2-3 days later) and/or depression, something you rarely see a warning about. It will send social anxiety on vacation for the day and pretty much reverse it. So, if you have a social event like a wedding (DO NOT drink on top of this) to go to, this will do the trick unbelievably well. Take on an empty stomach as soon as you wake up, and don't eat for an hour for best results. May take up to 5 hours for full effects to materialize. You'll get GREAT sleep that night too). I stopped taking this when rebound anxiety and depression developed, which took quite a while.

If anyone has any questions, just ask. I realize that my elaboration is a little spotty. I typically stack (combine in a single dose) all of the above except the passion flower, valerian root, K@, 5-HTP and Phenibut. At night I may throw in the passion flower and valerian root.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something....
/novel

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Supplement-wise, there are a number of things that help, and a stack seems to work the best (for me) rather than waiting an hour to find out that the one thing you took had little or no effect.

2 ) Magnesium GLYCINATE (Magnesium attached to a glycine molecule, which has additional calming properties. This may um, "enhance" your pooping capabilities too, so go slow or you'll go fast ; ) I take 2200mg which is the recommended "serving" size.
4) Ashwagandha (adaptogen that additionally stimulates dopamine production, so mood enhancement as well)
5) Chamomile
6) Lemon balm
7) Passion Flower (be careful, as there may be contraindications with meds you may be taking, SSRI's are one iirc)
8) Valerian Root
9) 5-HTP (helps with serotonin production like St. Johns Wort does, but is a bit more impactful and shouldn't be taking for extended periods or you risk serotonin down-regulation (your brain will make less, based on receiving it from an external source. Also has additional mood enhancing properties).
10) Red K@. (If you know, you know. Saved this for 2nd to last because it can be addictive and you will create a physical dependency if taken every day, esp multiple times per day. Withdrawals from daily use, esp at high dosages are akin to opioid withdrawals and will INCREASE anxiety dramatically. Best for a couple of times a week at most. Additional dramatic mood enhancement, as it is a partial opioid agonist.
11) Phenibut EXTREME CAUTION ! (hits gaba B receptors as opposed to benzodiazapines which hit the A's, so it doesn't make you tired. 2x a week at most. Withdrawals from abuse are beyond horrible. This may cause rebound anxiety (typically 2-3 days later) and/or depression, something you rarely see a warning about. It will send social anxiety on vacation for the day and pretty much reverse it. So, if you have a social event like a wedding (DO NOT drink on top of this) to go to, this will do the trick unbelievably well. Take on an empty stomach as soon as you wake up, and don't eat for an hour for best results. May take up to 5 hours for full effects to materialize. You'll get GREAT sleep that night too). I stopped taking this when rebound anxiety and depression developed, which took quite a while.

If anyone has any questions, just ask. I realize that my elaboration is a little spotty. I typically stack (combine in a single dose) all of the above except the passion flower, valerian root, K@, 5-HTP and Phenibut. At night I may throw in the passion flower and valerian root.

/novel
Thank you for including the warnings. I still have trouble understanding how phenibut is legal. Anyone with an addictive personality can easily get into something they can't get out of with that supplement.

Rand McNally

Kava Curious
Thank you for including the warnings...
You're more than welcome. I think it's important. I'd have to write another speech to fully explain, but I typically don't put that one out there, for the exact reason you mention. There's a guy on YT who says rather pedestrianly and with no sense of urgency "....well, if taken responsibly..." and it blows me away. Hey dude, have you considered your audience? You have an opioid addiction recovery channel, offer recovery "courses" and were a heroin addict. WTF? There are a VERY select few that can responsibly Use "A" to get off "B" and be done, in that sort of "core" audience. It's prescription-only in Russia where it was developed and other countries, if memory serves. It has it's place, but I'm not trying to help anyone hurt themselves further.

Jacob Bula

Nobody
If you want to try non-drug/medicine driven techniques you should look into different breathing exercises. Wim Hoff is one that is easy to follow and do on your own and I enjoy. I don't do the cold exposure that he does but one round of his breath work can immediately ward off anxiety and improve my mood. It even gives me a slight "heady" buzz. The first time I did his technique I was able to hold my breath for 1min 49sec on the third round. My longest so far is close to 2.5 minutes. I have also tried several other breath techniques (all without a "official coach") just trying different things from online videos. They can be very effective and easy to do almost anywhere. Just a caution though - if you do something like Wim Hoff where you are holding your breath lay down. There is a chance of passing out.
Yes, this ^

Wim hoff breathing with or without the dip in freezing rivers. Also meditation.

QuiKSilvR615

Kava Curious

5) Chamomile
6) Lemon balm
8) Valerian Root

/novel

Rand do you happen to have the brands of the different herbs you use?? If I learned anything with my exposure to Kava its that the source will make or break your experience.

Jacob Bula

Nobody
Yea. I love a 1 or 2 minute session in a cold river while meditating after the wim Hoff breathing. You feel so alive! I've been lazy lately though. The breathing is good on its own before meditation though. Time slows down and you can lose your sense of self.
Old post: Disclaimer about Wim Hoff breathing while in water: Never do it alone. There is a small chance of passing out. People have died by drowning.

I still do this though. Just had a dip the other day in the river. Not cold enough yet. Hope I can keep it up this year.

Kavacus

Kava Enthusiast
Lately I've been surprised how good it feels just to take a 20 minute walk outside. I can feel the stress knot in my stomach loosen, and when I get back to work I feel better with a bit more energy. Many studies out there touting the health benefits of walking-not surprising since we're sedentary, sitting on our asses clicking at computer screens al day long...