What's new

Kava spoon measurement disambiguation

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
In the UK there is a spoon called a tablespoon that is a whacking great spoon used for serving rather than eating. Can I just check when you are talking about a tablespoon is that the largest size of spoon you would practically eat with which in the UK is known as a dessert spoon? I believe I have it right because on the internet I have found multiple sites that are suggesting that 1 cup of dry powder would be about 16 tablespoons. If I measure out 16 rounded (halfway between heaped and level) spoonfuls it would take about 16 to fill a cup. Thanks. Pics would be great!

moff000

Kava Enthusiast
In the UK there is a spoon called a tablespoon that is a whacking great spoon used for serving rather than eating. Can I just check when you are talking about a tablespoon is that the largest size of spoon you would practically eat with which in the UK is known as a dessert spoon? I believe I have it right because on the internet I have found multiple sites that are suggesting that 1 cup of dry powder would be about 16 tablespoons. If I measure out 16 rounded (halfway between heaped and level) spoonfuls it would take about 16 to fill a cup. Thanks. Pics would be great!
My Tablespoons are "Massive" lol

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
The pepto idea is a good one. I think everyone has a measuring cup from one medication or another floating around.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
@Edward the tablespoon is on the left and the teaspoon is on the right side of my hand.
Yes, that's it! Thanks.

My Tablespoons are "Massive" lol
Yes, everyone in the UK can barely stand up after 6 tbsps. of kava whereas in the US everyone is saying 6 tbsps. is for wimps! That could explain it. I've always just assumed this though and used a dessert spoon rounded or heaped.

CactusKava

Phoenix, AZ
Kava Vendor
Yes, that's it! Thanks.

Yes, everyone in the UK can barely stand up after 6 tbsps. of kava whereas in the US everyone is saying 6 tbsps. is for wimps! That could explain it. I've always just assumed this though and used a dessert spoon rounded or heaped.
I always use 8 rounded tablespoons, which equates to 1/2 a rounded cup of root. I can measure it in grams when I get home, but each kava tablespoon will weigh differently depending on the grind. For instance, my Loa Lawena will fill up the volume of half of my larger bags, whereas 'Eva will fill up 2/3-3/4 the bag.

The last few nights I've only been able to get 6 tablespoons down because I've been experimenting with different extractions that are much better at getting all the good stuff out. Let's just say that 130F water nearly burns your hands, but makes some incredibly potent grog without the nastiness of boiled kava ::happyshell::

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
hmm, I never even realized there was a difference. in relation to cooking: The unit of measurement varies by region: a United States tablespoon is approximately 14.7 ml, a United Kingdom tablespoon is exactly 15 ml,[1] and an Australian tablespoon is 20 ml

I don't know

Kava Enthusiast
I never got the whole rounded tablespoon thing. Is that just as much as you can fit on a tablespoon without it spilling over? How does that compare to a flat tablespoon?

I don't know

Kava Enthusiast
Top is a Level Tablespoon, Bottom is a Heaping Tablespoon.
A Level Tablespoon is used to administer medicine, the Heaping Tablespoon is for measuring kava. :)

That looks like a big difference. Is a heaping tablespoon still a tablespoon. This is a life or death question so no pressure.