What's new

Kava spoon measurement disambiguation

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
That looks like a big difference. Is a heaping tablespoon still a tablespoon. This is a life or death question so no pressure.
Only if it's not alone in the woods. :)

(technically I think a tablespoon is the metal spoon itself made to hold a measured amount of liquid, you can't make a heaping tablespoon of water)

verticity

I'm interested in things
OK, here's the deal:
The tablespoons you use to eat soup with are not very accurate. It's better to use measuring spoons. For example if you want to measure out 6 tablespoons, use three scoops of a 1/8 cup measuring spoon.
The US and UK standard tablespoon are the same. They both consist of 3 teaspoons, or 15 mL.
The Australian tablespoon is bigger: it consists of 4 teaspoons, or 20 mL.
On average 1 US tablespoon of kava is 8 grams in weight.

Note: In the past I have warned about the dangers of using heaping tablespoons. Don't be a heaper. :)

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
OK, here's the deal:
The tablespoons you use to eat soup with are not very accurate. It's better to use measuring spoons. For example if you want to measure out 6 tablespoons, use three scoops of a 1/8 cup measuring spoon.
The US and UK standard tablespoon are the same. They both consist of 3 teaspoons, or 15 mL.

Note: In the past I have warned about the dangers of using heaping tablespoons. Don't be a heaper. :)
Thank you for edumacating us :)

I don't know

Kava Enthusiast
OK, here's the deal:

That was very helpful thank you. I will try not to be a heaper.

verticity

I'm interested in things
The last few nights I've only been able to get 6 tablespoons down because I've been experimenting with different extractions that are much better at getting all the good stuff out. Let's just say that 130F water nearly burns your hands, but makes some incredibly potent grog without the nastiness of boiled kava ::happyshell::
Gloves help with that flesh boiling feeling.