What's new

Numbing and effects

jim lahey

Shamanic Herbalist
Simple question does the amount of numbness in mouth let you know how strong a kava will be? I have recently purchased kava from my local magic shop and it is not very strong, and doesnt cause much numbness in the mouth.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Simple question does the amount of numbness in mouth let you know how strong a kava will be? I have recently purchased kava from my local magic shop and it is not very strong, and doesnt cause much numbness in the mouth.
IME it shows you there are active kavalactones but not how strong it will be. Also, you can have lots of kavalactones and no numbing. Over time I got less and less numbing and now I'm basically immune to the effect.

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
Kavain (one of the kavalactones) is mainly responsible for mouth numbness. So, assuming you prepare different kavas with the same root/water ratio, the more numb your mouth, the higher the kavain content.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I got numbing when I first started, I don't think I've noticed any numbing for several years. However, almost every time I drank fresh kava in Vanuatu there was very obvious numbing and increased mucus production in the throat. These experiences were all very effective, so there does seem to be some correlation between strength and numbing/mouth effects. Not perfectly correlated though, because on the rare occasion that the dry kava I drink at home is strong enough to produce a Vanuatu-like kava experience, it still doesn't give me the numbing.

Also, just as some people's body's are naturally more receptive to kava and it's effects...some also seem to be more likely to acquire numbness.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I got numbing when I first started, I don't think I've noticed any numbing for several years. However, almost every time I drank fresh kava in Vanuatu there was very obvious numbing and increased mucus production in the throat. These experiences were all very effective, so there does seem to be some correlation between strength and numbing/mouth effects. Not perfectly correlated though, because on the rare occasion that the dry kava I drink at home is strong enough to produce a Vanuatu-like kava experience, it still doesn't give me the numbing.

Also, just as some people's body's are naturally more receptive to kava and it's effects...some also seem to be more likely to acquire numbness.
I get some numbing when I chew dry waka roots or those dry lawena chips I got from Matt. And a little from Polynesian Gold extract. Just not from grog, no matter how strong I make it. (yes, I occasionally make it strong. Sometimes a man needs nambawan to hit him like a sapphire freight train of pure love)

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Kavain (one of the kavalactones) is mainly responsible for mouth numbness. So, assuming you prepare different kavas with the same root/water ratio, the more numb your mouth, the higher the kavain content.
That's a good observation! Although I usually mix heady kavas on the thin side, when I mix them thick they make my mouth more number than heavy kava does.

Kava shells
Grog shells
Kava shells
Grog shells

Malok insaed lo baket
Yaqona in a bun (dle)
Kavalactones through the atmosphere
Here they come

John, I've been bad

And they're numbing up my face
Done someone wrong

And I fear that it was me

Sapphire bilos
Bilos of pure love

-- Sapphire Bilos, by AOSL (Ating Olgeta Stap Longfala)