What's new

that's bitter!

muddywaters

Kava Enthusiast
I never thought I'd be making a thread like this in a million years because I take the taste of kava well and don't even chase it with anything sweet but I've met my match that I also happen to love to death otherwise. Last night I had nongol noble and made a first full batch with it and the bitter taste was just overwhelming. My tortilla chips were not enough and in the morning I was still tasting it making everything taste bitter amplified. Luckily just now in my drawer I found a piece of hard candy to suck on and it seems to have helped quite a bit end it. But what is the best way to tame a real bitter root during or after drinking because I don't wanna put it down just for something as dumb as an overpowering nauseating taste that's like the after taste of broccoli rabe on steroids.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I never thought I'd be making a thread like this in a million years because I take the taste of kava well and don't even chase it with anything sweet but I've met my match that I also happen to love to death otherwise. Last night I had nongol noble and made a first full batch with it and the bitter taste was just overwhelming. My tortilla chips were not enough and in the morning I was still tasting it making everything taste bitter amplified. Luckily just now in my drawer I found a piece of hard candy to suck on and it seems to have helped quite a bit end it. But what is the best way to tame a real bitter root during or after drinking because I don't wanna put it down just for something as dumb as an overpowering nauseating taste that's like the after taste of broccoli rabe on steroids.
I believe in the BKH kava bar they serve shells with a slice of pineapple to refresh the palate. I tried an instant with some pineapple juice once and it was quite nice. Maybe try that?

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
Prep with Welch's or V8 Splash orange pineapple juice. I used to do that a lot till I grew a taste for it straight.
I also used to use Orange Tang after prep. If you add heavy cream and ice to this and toss it in the blender you can make Kava Creamsicle
And a couple squirts of lime juice in a shell masks the taste pretty well too

Last edited:

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
I find mushing a big bite of ripe banana around my mouth immediately after a bitter kava seems to help. Is it more bitter than Kavafied's Supreme?

muddywaters

Kava Enthusiast
I can't remember what Kava Supreme tasted like cause I haven't had it in so long. Didn't have pineapple but had some apple juice, it works and even solved that weird scent thing I got going on in my nose after drinking kava. I had it too soon before it numbed me out and accidentally washed all the kavalactones out of my mouth but it did it! Oh well I was on my 4th night in a row drinking kava anyways and didn't get much out of it anyways last night. I get temporary short term tolerance if I go too many days in a row with kava, don't know if anyone else gets that because I never hear it being discussed but I gotta find the perfect time window to not consume it after I hit that wall.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I believe in the BKH kava bar they serve shells with a slice of pineapple to refresh the palate. I tried an instant with some pineapple juice once and it was quite nice. Maybe try that?
When I used a lot of instant, pineapple juice was my favorite mixer.

I really hate the taste of kava and I know Nangol has a really strong flavor. The absolute best chaser I've found is fresh (not canned) pineapple. The sweet/tart taste really wipes out the aftertaste. Coconut milk is my second favorite because it coats and feels like it resets the taste buds but it doesn't taste as good as the pineapple.

AZcat

Kava Drinker
Prep with Welch's or V8 Splash orange pineapple juice. I used to do that a lot till I grew a taste for it straight.
I also used to use Orange Tang after prep. If you add heavy cream and ice to this and toss it in the blender you can make Kava Creamsicle
And a couple squirts of lime juice in a shell masks the taste pretty well too
Just one point about that, I read somewhere that Citrus fruit neutralize the Kavalactones, so it might be better to use some other fruit.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
Just one point about that, I read somewhere that Citrus fruit neutralize the Kavalactones, so it might be better to use some other fruit.
The Welch's and V8 Splash probably didn't have a whole lot real fruit in them lol. Just masked the taste well. I got plenty krunk on it, so if it did alter the strength it couldn't of been by a whole lot. Not sure if I have any pictures but I used to hug the jug a lot and prep it ahead of time and reuse the jugs the juice came in.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Vitamin C in the plant can apparently convert kavain to another KL but I haven't really noticed that in the stomach. I think a lot of us have used fruit with good amounts of vitamin C since they are usually in the sweet and sour category.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
@muddywaters does mixing it with more water help? I find with the stronger tasting kavas that using more water and drinking more regular shells helps quite a bit.

muddywaters

Kava Enthusiast
@muddywaters does mixing it with more water help? I find with the stronger tasting kavas that using more water and drinking more regular shells helps quite a bit.
I never made my kava with more water than I've been using up to the 400 line in the alu ball shaker but I imagine it would even if your just prolonging the taste in your mouth and it's probably better to just have a little liquid and get it down fast and over with. But drinking water after doesn't wash out the stubborn bitter after taste in this one, I needed that fruit. Plus I'm sure with less liquid it hits you faster anyways.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I never made my kava with more water than I've been using up to the 400 line in the alu ball shaker but I imagine it would even if your just prolonging the taste in your mouth and it's probably better to just have a little liquid and get it down fast and over with. But drinking water after doesn't wash out the stubborn bitter after taste in this one, I needed that fruit. Plus I'm sure with less liquid it hits you faster anyways.
Well I've tried lots of different methods from 6 tablespoons in 2 cups of water to less kava in a litre of water and these days I'm finding the latter more pleasurable. It might be worth a try anyway. I find the more liquid I use the less root I use. Could be an extraction thing? Also I'm comfortably past reverse tolerance now.

muddywaters

Kava Enthusiast
Well I've tried lots of different methods from 6 tablespoons in 2 cups of water to less kava in a litre of water and these days I'm finding the latter more pleasurable. It might be worth a try anyway. I find the more liquid I use the less root I use. Could be an extraction thing? Also I'm comfortably past reverse tolerance now.
I get effects that stack every couple days in a row and then drop off, it's like short term reverse tolerance but long term I don't get anything much but more tired and lazy so I need to take a break.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I get effects that stack every couple days in a row and then drop off, it's like short term reverse tolerance but long term I don't get anything much but more tired and lazy so I need to take a break.
How often do you traditionally prep your kava? Over time that's been the most consistent method for me.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I don't use traditional prep (please don't kill me), I should learn though. What is the best strainer to use?
Kavafied has good strainers and the BKH strainer is also very good if you want a smooth drink. The Kava Roots has a very elegant and easy on the hands strainer but it does allow more large particles to pass through so the drink may be grittier and I don't think it would work as well with Nangol's very fine grind.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
I've been using Kavafied's cheaper (beginner's) strainer exclusively for nearly a year (the same one) and have been very happy with it. Trad prep is VERY not-difficult. There really isn't much to learn. Dump powder in bag, put bag in bowl. Dump water in bowl. Squish powder around in water.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I've been using Kavafied's cheaper (beginner's) strainer exclusively for nearly a year (the same one) and have been very happy with it. Trad prep is VERY not-difficult. There really isn't much to learn. Dump powder in bag, put bag in bowl. Dump water in bowl. Squish powder around in water.
Or just chuck it in a blender... I have never trad prepped! ;)