What's new

Drinking kava constantly. Any health issues?

scaryjarri

Kava Curious
Hey Guys and girls.

Ive been drinking kava for about a decade now and some years off in there as well. The last couple years however have been almost constant. The aluball of course made this much easier and having a partner who doesnt mind shaking it up constantly helps, or doesnt.

Kava helps me usually with calm energy and I havent found much that knocks me back but, usually when Im starting to fade in my work, kava helps me keep going. I used to be an alcoholic but quite completely a couple years ago. I still have beers in the house frmo then and have zero temptaion to drink. I just gave a nice one to a craftsman who did some work for us yesterday as part of a tip.

Recently Ive started leaning on it a little hard. I tend to be easily addicted to things so its not kavas fault and its mild in its actions but, like anything you overdo, you can have sides if youre drinking 10 shakers a day. I have really good diet and hydration but, have begun to feel groggy and dry. No skin problems or anything like that. Perhaps I just need a break too. Hard when youre using it for performance enhancing duties. I drink it toward the end of my workout, I drink it when I work, I drink it when Im getting tattooed, and just when Im feeling stressed which is usually atm.

Anybody have any weird side effects and did they go away after taking a break. I should take a break but, I dont really feel like I can at the moment. Crazy business changes, selling properties, new home with many needs. Did I mention the state of the world? And im pretty big empathetoc person. Im not weak by any means but, the vail was lifted 20+ years ago so i dont just watch the world benignly. Both a weakness and a strength.

I was just going to have some kava while i was finishing my workout, pruning my garden, cleaning up construction mess, and doing about 15 more things at once. Ive been working hard to get out of the way we humans live and Im really close but it seems to be the hardest time when Im cashing in on a decade of front loading pretty much everything.

I never contribute much to forums, I stay a novice and get what I need but, do appreciate those who do.

Bula

scaryjarri

Kava Curious
Thanks fo rth reply. im not worried about skin stuff. If that were the case, I would discontinue for a bit or longer.

Does anyone else drink that much Kava?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Thanks fo rth reply. im not worried about skin stuff. If that were the case, I would discontinue for a bit or longer.

Does anyone else drink that much Kava?
chugger-giant.gif

you've found your people. most of us here drink kava every day, or have at least had periods where we drink every day. some people drink small doses all day long, others drink large doses (8-12+ tbsp) in the evening. many pacific islanders drink every day, or at least several times a week.
dermopathy, bloat, styes, lethargy and possibly elevated cholesterol are the most common side effects of frequent heavy consumption.

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
My experience resonates with the other replies; Dermapothy, lethargy, and eye styes.

I am a daily drinker who aluballs almost all day everyday. Listening to the kava is sage advice. If you feel like you need some drink some, but if you do not require kava personally evaluate if you should take a break.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
I've ridden the kava heavy shelling train until the wheels fall off many times. Typically for me, only a few days break is needed for a reset. In that time I drink extra water and some pedialyte to just do a flush of my system. It helps. This is often not neccessary unless I'm feeling too lethargic or getting skin that's too dry from particular strains of kava. It really depends on which one I'm drinking I've learned.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I think the lethargy comes from the amount of water you drink to counteract the dehydrating effects of the kava flushing out b vitamins. Also coconut oil capsules are really good for dermo. I drink kava daily for extended periods, usually heavy kavas in the evenings, and I don't tend to feel too lethargic the next day and I never get dermo any more.

scaryjarri

Kava Curious
Thanks, All great replies. Especially the B vitamins. I drink a ton of water in the form of sodastream water. Were longtime vegans so we have no issue getting coconut oil as its in everything. We tend to be big fat eaters with lots of nuts and olive oil, perhaps why no dermopathy. Lethargy is my most common side. I took a day of about 1/3 of what I normally drink and next day got krunk mid day and got a lot of energy. We buy from many different vendors and new roots sometimes sideline me if drank at the wrong time but, I usually figure out what not to have midday. Although I dont find much that doesnt activate me late at night. It used to interupt my sleep drinking too late, now it does a little in the form of diuretic night pees. I probably should increase my salt content as we also eat 98% home cooked meals so with drinking diuretics like kava, coffee, and oolong tea, the soda stream water with lemon passes right through me. My partner doesnt have this issue and never has. Ive always been a thristy diuretic lover who puts away large quantites of water and goes to the bathroom frequently. Too much actually. They on the other hand have always had to be told to drink water as they forget and can go all day without. My thyroid has been checked within and last year was on par. I hate peeing all of the time and kava makes it much worse.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
I think the lethargy comes from the amount of water you drink to counteract the dehydrating effects of the kava flushing out b vitamins. Also coconut oil capsules are really good for dermo. I drink kava daily for extended periods, usually heavy kavas in the evenings, and I don't tend to feel too lethargic the next day and I never get dermo any more.
That's a really keen observation. The next-day lethargy might be due to dehydration and lack of vitamins.

Last night I was pretty dehydrated already and sneezing like a maniac (also drinking kava, as usual). So before bed I took an antihistamine, a multivitamin, and washed it down with 2 huge glasses of tap water. The morning pee confirmed: that vitamin flushed straight through me!

As for peeing constantly, I figure as long as your pee does not indicate dehydration you should be OK. Even back in the 1800's people were writing about how kava use can help to flush out UTI's and such.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
That's a really keen observation. The next-day lethargy might be due to dehydration and lack of vitamins.

Last night I was pretty dehydrated already and sneezing like a maniac (also drinking kava, as usual). So before bed I took an antihistamine, a multivitamin, and washed it down with 2 huge glasses of tap water. The morning pee confirmed: that vitamin flushed straight through me!

As for peeing constantly, I figure as long as your pee does not indicate dehydration you should be OK. Even back in the 1800's people were writing about how kava use can help to flush out UTI's and such.
You had the green pee? All those vitamins straight through!

I used to like yerba mate but I find I just can't stay well enough hydrated if I drink any type of caffeine when I am regularly drinking kava.

scaryjarri

Kava Curious
You had the green pee? All those vitamins straight through!

I used to like yerba mate but I find I just can't stay well enough hydrated if I drink any type of caffeine when I am regularly drinking kava.
That may be my issue, having 2 espressos and usually oolong tea daily. Its really hard to stop taking the things that can have great benefit in small quantities (caffeine) but go overboard real quick.

scaryjarri

Kava Curious

My pee is rarely clear anymore as I take vitamins and am always drinking something that may need to be processed or is taking vitamins out. I also take K@ (I know many here dont love that stuff) another amazing plant when used reasonably has amazing benefits but many get out of control with. That liver and kidneys are always processing some auxilarry "chemicals"and that may be where salt & mineral balance comes in. Sometimes after heavy kava the prior day the morning pee is definitely full of byproducts or process from drinking kava.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
My pee is rarely clear anymore as I take vitamins and am always drinking something that may need to be processed or is taking vitamins out. I also take K@ (I know many here dont love that stuff) another amazing plant when used reasonably has amazing benefits but many get out of control with. That liver and kidneys are always processing some auxilarry "chemicals"and that may be where salt & mineral balance comes in. Sometimes after heavy kava the prior day the morning pee is definitely full of byproducts or process from drinking kava.
These days I only really drink heavy kava and as long as I drink enough water and no caffeine I'm fine and have very clear urine day to day.

evrnd

Kava Enthusiast
As an aside of sorts- how much coconut oil is necessary? I’ve got old man hands and split finger tips from it (one of the most irritating and painful things in my book) and I’d just take it by spoon or mixed in and save the capsules.

My blood pressure has been up and I have had issues with intense depression of sorts when I use certain types regularly. I primarily use micro, though, and I know that makes some aspects worse. Although, I’ve had skin issues when I just drink Squanch too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlohaAimee

Kava Enthusiast
Whenever I'm going through a period of drinking kava daily, I make sure I'm taking a couple of MCT oil capsules as well as Omega-3 fish oil. I also add MCTs to my morning coffee. So far I haven't experienced any dermo. I tend to only drink kava after 4pm, so I try to stay very hydrated all day up until 4pm to counteract any dryness I may experience.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Also yeah caffeine is huge. I've been considering cutting down on my morning tea for the sake of hydration.
I try to make my black tea really astringent so it tightens the tissues and reduces diuretic effect aka laxaty

evrnd

Kava Enthusiast
I probably drink a gallon+ of water every day and it doesn't change that much. I do know the days where I've had too little water for whatever reason that kava will give me horrible headaches. @Zac Imiola (Herbalist) - how much MCT is in the capsules? Still trying to figure out how much CO I should take. There have been times when it upsets my stomach and makes eating unpleasant if I take too much on an empty stomach. But most of the time if I only use a little until I eat it's okay. I really only want to take enough for it to help my skin, although I'll be (pleasantly) surprised if it makes a significant difference.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
As an aside of sorts- how much coconut oil is necessary? I’ve got old man hands and split finger tips from it (one of the most irritating and painful things in my book) and I’d just take it by spoon or mixed in and save the capsules.

My blood pressure has been up and I have had issues with intense depression of sorts when I use certain types regularly. I primarily use micro, though, and I know that makes some aspects worse. Although, I’ve had skin issues when I just drink Squanch too.
I take 2 to 4 capsules a day (1000 mg each). I would think trying to consume it any other way might give me too much of a fatty sensation in my mouth and throat which could well give a bit of nausea. The capsules go down easy and it all stays there. Taking with food would help too.

I can actually feel it coming out of my pores. I hate anything like baby oil on my skin. I actually prefer for my skin to feel quite dry so when I use coconut oil I can feel the difference.

Transcent

Kava saved my life
Hey Guys and girls.

Ive been drinking kava for about a decade now and some years off in there as well. The last couple years however have been almost constant. The aluball of course made this much easier and having a partner who doesnt mind shaking it up constantly helps, or doesnt.

Kava helps me usually with calm energy and I havent found much that knocks me back but, usually when Im starting to fade in my work, kava helps me keep going. I used to be an alcoholic but quite completely a couple years ago. I still have beers in the house frmo then and have zero temptaion to drink. I just gave a nice one to a craftsman who did some work for us yesterday as part of a tip.

Recently Ive started leaning on it a little hard. I tend to be easily addicted to things so its not kavas fault and its mild in its actions but, like anything you overdo, you can have sides if youre drinking 10 shakers a day. I have really good diet and hydration but, have begun to feel groggy and dry. No skin problems or anything like that. Perhaps I just need a break too. Hard when youre using it for performance enhancing duties. I drink it toward the end of my workout, I drink it when I work, I drink it when Im getting tattooed, and just when Im feeling stressed which is usually atm.

Anybody have any weird side effects and did they go away after taking a break. I should take a break but, I dont really feel like I can at the moment. Crazy business changes, selling properties, new home with many needs. Did I mention the state of the world? And im pretty big empathetoc person. Im not weak by any means but, the vail was lifted 20+ years ago so i dont just watch the world benignly. Both a weakness and a strength.

I was just going to have some kava while i was finishing my workout, pruning my garden, cleaning up construction mess, and doing about 15 more things at once. Ive been working hard to get out of the way we humans live and Im really close but it seems to be the hardest time when Im cashing in on a decade of front loading pretty much everything.

I never contribute much to forums, I stay a novice and get what I need but, do appreciate those who do.

Bula
Dermo, and nausea. It was during a very painful time in my life and I decided to quit drinking during the same time. Eventually I couldn't even down a single shell without feeling sick. Somtimes Id throw up after eating. It all went away when I cut back, now my kava drinking habits are more balanced. On a sidenote. My liver enzyme numbers have actually improved sinced I Switched from alcohol to kava