What's new

Do I need micronized for mixing kava drinks?

Just getting started. If i wanted to partake in some of those frozen kava mocktails to sip on while watching the game do I NEED micronized? Can I either use medium grind in the blender with the ingredients OR pour the contents of an aluball batch in there while Im mixing? The wife is going to give some weekend Kava a try and id like to have her drink a shell straight up, then have a kava mocktail ready to sip on. I have no micronized on hand just medium grind. Newbie here, thanks.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Just getting started. If i wanted to partake in some of those frozen kava mocktails to sip on while watching the game do I NEED micronized? Can I either use medium grind in the blender with the ingredients OR pour the contents of an aluball batch in there while Im mixing? The wife is going to give some weekend Kava a try and id like to have her drink a shell straight up, then have a kava mocktail ready to sip on. I have no micronized on hand just medium grind. Newbie here, thanks.
You can use medium grind, just knead the kava first, then pour it over an ice tray and freeze it. It's better to drink Medium grind anyway because you don't need to ingest the root fiber in micronized kava. Aluball is the same principle, shake up a batch first and freeze it afterwards. Make sure you freeze it right away for best results otherwise drink it up.

That a decent idea, substitute some of the ice in the recipe with kava cubes. It would be harder to tell the strength though. How long does kava stay in the freezer, in an ice cube tray?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
That a decent idea, substitute some of the ice in the recipe with kava cubes. It would be harder to tell the strength though. How long does kava stay in the freezer, in an ice cube tray?
I may have misunderstood your first post, thought you wanted to make the ice cubes, yes they should be fine up to say three months in there, use them sooner than later. For any basic kava prep, use medium grind, it's the most economical way to drink kava.

I may have misunderstood your first post, thought you wanted to make the ice cubes, yes they should be fine up to say three months in there, use them sooner than later. For any basic kava prep, use medium grind, it's the most economical way to drink kava.
In the OP I was thinking more of just pouring a batch into the blender WITH all the ingredients for a mango smoothie/pina colada type drink and blending. But actually freezing some kava cubes and using those for the ice portion seems like a GREAT idea!