What's new

Category 5 Cyclone Pam dangerously close to Vanuatu

Idgie

Kava Enthusiast
This is so sad. I can't imagine what they are going thru. Love and prayers out to the people who are there. Thank you for everyone for providing suggestions for places to send donations.

qoute from someone on the ground when I asked how many dead
"50 odd in PENAMA - no comms from Efate since 5am, so no idea. Expect 1000's in total me tinks"

as far as I know Tanna was hit full on before the cyclone reached Efate, have been told it was like an atomic bomb going off, they are really in trouble down there,

Tanna, Aambae, and Pentecost were all hit before Efate

verticity

I'm interested in things
Tanna is south of Efate. It is the southmost island visible in the satellite loop above. Maybe you're thinking of one of the other northern islands like Epi?
Nh-map.png

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
I have been hoping for some good news on this. A few days ago, Vanuatu as a whole looked like it was going to get "lucky" but then the track shifted westwards repeatedly. Of course it is going to take some time for concrete news but I found a weather station somewhere in Port Vila which did not record extremely high winds. Assuming it was working properly. There are still many other hazards with a TC but if this is reliable information it would be a possible glint of good news anyway.

Attachments

Piper Methysticum

Let Kava Take The Wheel
Heartbroken and sickened by this. God bless our Vanuatu friends. Good to see buildings still standing in the video above from Deleted User, have to think other areas won't be so fortunate. Been through something similar, Cat. 4 almost Cat. 5 Hurricane Charley 2004 knocked us pretty good took a long time to recover but we made it.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Wow, that' really chilling watching that video of the aftermath. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery, not just in Port Vila, but in the outlying areas where the buildings are less likely to be still standing.

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
I have been hoping for some good news on this. A few days ago, Vanuatu as a whole looked like it was going to get "lucky" but then the track shifted westwards repeatedly. Of course it is going to take some time for concrete news but I found a weather station somewhere in Port Vila which did not record extremely high winds. Assuming it was working properly. There are still many other hazards with a TC but if this is reliable information it would be a possible glint of good news anyway.
These wind speeds just don't seem to match up with the damage seen on Efate in videos and images. It's quite possible that station is wrong. On the otherhand, wind speed will increase drastically nearer to the centre, and Port Vila would have been further away than eastern Efate.

verticity

I'm interested in things
That looks like about Cat 1 (maybe 2) level damage in that video
Saffir-Simpson Wind Scale
I did see a personal weather station on Weather Underground in Port Vila, which might be the same one @vorticity mentions. It showed max wind speeds about half of what a cat 1 would be. There was some suggestion in the comments there -- not sure if it was speculation or substantiated -- that the station was positioned within some bushes or something which might not have given an accurate wind reading. For accurate wind readings the station is supposed to be elevated, on a pole or something out of the way of things that could block the wind. It was not an "official" weather station, probably a hobbyist.

Th real damage will have been done on the outer islands who don't have bricks and mortar buildings or shelters, there won't be any real evaluation o fthe damage out there ...

Kava Kava R us

\Bula/ As another shell goes down!
Kava Vendor
So Sorry to hear about all the destruction in Vanuatu.
To all those living out there or with friends & family I hope all the best towards you.

\Bula/ & best regards to everyone.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Th real damage will have been done on the outer islands who don't have bricks and mortar buildings or shelters, there won't be any real evaluation o fthe damage out there ...
Yeah it's kind of worrying. I haven't seen anything in the news about any place other than Port Vila. It might take a while to find out what happened.

Kava Kava R us

\Bula/ As another shell goes down!
Kava Vendor
The New Zealand Herald reported that 90% of homes Port Vila, with a population of almost 50,000, were damaged or destroyed.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11417527
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/03/15/vanuatu-cyclone-pam/24805601/
It looks like the devastation is unspeakable...
Images of what the people are really going through...
https://www.google.com/search?q=van...AUoAQ#tbm=isch&q=vanuatu+cyclone+pam&imgdii=_

Thankfully tho relief aid is starting to land, and at the same time it is going to take patience to rebuild these islands.

\Bula/ & best regards to everyone.