What's new

Category 5 Cyclone Pam dangerously close to Vanuatu

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
This is awful. My heart goes out to the Ni-Vanuatu. Vanuatu is the last place on earth that needs a cat 5 cyclone stomping on them.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
This is so awful. I went to New Orleans after Katrina, but given Vanuatu's reliance on thrown together buildings, there's no way it's not going to destroy most everyones homes and businesses.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Damn, it's lookin' like that storm is literally stalking Vanuatu. I was hoping it would turn out to be a miss, I mean, all that open ocean and these little specs are catching it dead on. wtf

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Yeah, I didn't think the relatively insignificant size and heat radiation of such tiny islands could have any attraction to a storm of that size...but it seriously looks like it took aim for it.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
My god, this is awful. Those poor people. They're going to need blood. Does anyone know if the red cross is raising funds for a mission there?

verticity

I'm interested in things
It looks like a direct hit on Erromango. Population ~ 2000. Apparently there are a lot of caves on the island that have historically been used as shelter from cyclones, hopefully people can stay safe in them.
It looks bad for Tanna Island - pop. 29000 - home of the Prince Phillip Movement.
This is just very sad.
@Steve Mariotti - they may well need blood and other things, but probably the best way we can help from the other side of the world is to give money. Henry and I have listed some organizations in the thread above that have put out press releases saying they are involved in the relief effort. I'm not really sure which of them is the "best" to give to, though.

Last edited:

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I've been through hurricanes. It's fucking terrifying to wake up to fallen trees everywhere, including one very close near miss. I can't imagine doing it in a building that cannot withstand hurricane force winds.

I saw one shelter on the internet, built out of concrete and mattresses. I'm guessing they don't anywhere near the capacity they needed.