What's new

Vanuatu Cyclone - Kalm With Kava Relief Aid Trip

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
While much progress is being made and alot of us have helped out considerably already, there is still a major issue of communities having access to clean drinking water.
http://www.9news.com.au/world/2015/04/13/00/52/vanuatu-relying-on-rainwater

We will be heading to Vanuatu in less than 3 weeks and have partnered with wavesforwater and waterislife to bring some of these communities easy to operate water filters. Each of these filters can supply up to 100 people drinking water for up to 5 years. We are bringing as many extra suitcases exclusively for these filters as we need. Please take a look at our campaign on http://www.wavesforwater.org/courier/clean-water-for-devastated-vanuatu and donate to buying a filter if you can or share with your friends who may be interested. All donations are tax deductible and 100% goes toward the filters.

As internet access allows while we're there, we'll be uploading photos of the people you are directly helping.

Thank you for your consideration!
Mike
Kalm with Kava

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Good on you, my man. Waves for Water is a great organization. Every year during our anniversary week we donate proceeds to a charity. Waves for Water was one of the first we did. I love how they just get in there under the radar with filters and get going. No red tape. Awesome job, @kalmwithkava!

verticity

I'm interested in things
Vanuatu still needs help; see:
A month after Cyclone Pam, Vanuatu continues to face health challenges
While progress has been made, those affected by the cyclone continue to face life-threatening risks from a lack of food and safe water, growing disease outbreaks and a health system struggling to get back on its feet. In addition, a significant shortfall in financial support for the health response has raised concerns about whether efforts can be sustained.
Only 23% of the nearly US$ 5 million requested for health-related interventions has been received, according to the most recent report from the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA). The funds are required to address urgent health and nutrition needs until June 2015. Without additional funding, many are concerned that people affected by the cyclone will not receive the health services they urgently need.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Come on people, we can do better than this. Or I'm going to have to go NPR on your ass.

OK, you asked for it: With every donation of $5 or more, you will receive a picture of a tote bag.
2104_classicnprtote_front.jpg

How much do you spend on kava per month? Can you spare that much for water filters for the people in Vanuatu? If not, can you spare half that much? $25? $10? Anything is better than nothing.

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
Thank you for the dedication verticity. And thank you to everyone who's already donated. Just an update, WaterisLife is sending 100 personal water filters with us as well as a couple community filters. We purchased 10 community filters and with the 20 hopefully raised through WavesforWater all of us kava drinkers will be helping at least 3000+ people!

Kava Kava R us

\Bula/ As another shell goes down!
Kava Vendor
Come on people, we can do better than this. Or I'm going to have to go NPR on your ass.

OK, you asked for it: With every donation of $5 or more, you will receive a picture of a tote bag.
View attachment 3125
How much do you spend on kava per month? Can you spare that much for water filters for the people in Vanuatu? If not, can you spare half that much? $25? $10? Anything is better than nothing.
Just a picture of the bag? WHat if I want the bag with goodies inside? ;)

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
To add a little incentive to helping the great people of Vanuatu, Let's ramp this up a bit. In addition to the wonderful picture of an NPR bag, Anyone one who has already donated and anyone who donates $20 or more by Friday (the deadline to get this finished up and shipped to us) will get their choice of (2) 4oz. packs of Kava. We currently to have 2 new Vanuatu varieties on the way or choose from our current selection of Borogu, Borongoru, Pouni Ono, or Fiji Loa Waka Kava.
Thanks again for everyones support!

Last edited:

verticity

I'm interested in things
Bumpitty bumpitty bump!
Today is Thursday, so if I am not mistaken, tomorrow is Friday, neglecting relativistic effects. Last chance to donate to this great cause. You can do it! Free kava if you donate!