What's new

Does anybody else take kava daily instead of a medication for depression/anxiety

wormwood

Kava Enthusiast
Im just curious if anybody is like me in this regard. I've taken a few different anit-anxiety meds and none of them have helped like Kava. I take a small amount of kava midafternoon and drink to my hearts content at night. The results have been incredible with regards to treating my anxiety. Has anybody else achieved long term relief of anxiety from kava alone? Im convinced that it is more effective (long term) than any medication.

Runding

Kava Enthusiast
I've been taking it nearly every night for about a year now specifically because of anxiety and it's incredible. No prescriptions, no doctors, no side affects, etc.

Kava has saved many of my personal and professional relationships. I love it, man. It's awesome.

Rishi678

Kava Curious
I use it as a substitute for benzos and find it just as strong and effective and much safer. I still use benzos once or twice a week but never more than that.

I dont take kava every day, but usually once or twice a week and it lifts my mood every time.

wormwood

Kava Enthusiast
I use it as a substitute for benzos and find it just as strong and effective and much safer. I still use benzos once or twice a week but never more than that.

I dont take kava every day, but usually once or twice a week and it lifts my mood every time.
So anxiety is more of a situational thing for you as opposed to a chronic thing?

Rishi678

Kava Curious
yeah but more so insomnia. Also I find it helps when I feel depressed which also happens occasionally.

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
I have started using kava with the intention of ditching the Ativan. Been tapering off for a while and got stuck on 0.25. So kinda anxious - naturally - that it might not be safe to mix the two. Anyway last week I broke through RT and felt pretty good. Until last night when I had a prolonged panic attack. In fact anxiety had been building throughout the long weekend I think. I'm wondering if the 8 hour time difference jet lag might have had something to do with it.

Anyway no kava for me until my body gets rid of the extra benzos I've been taking. Then I'll be back for a bit of "bula"!!

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.

May I ask which kava strain do you prefer? And do you go traditional with the root or mix up the micro or instant?
Have you ever tried the extract? Oh and do you take the benzos on the same day as the kava? And do you...... No, I'm done with the interrogation!

Rishi678

Kava Curious
haha :)

I dont take benzos on the same day, no way as they are both so strong.

However I have had no problems drinking kava the day after I took a benzo (even if I took the benzo late at night the night before)

However I only did this with short lasting benzos such as etizolam, alprazolam, I would probably not do it with a longer lasting one.

As for strain, after some experimentation, I do think mainly they all affect me in similar ways, but I like the Stone Kava the best, from nkamal.

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
Thanks Rishi! Got to admit I have taken kava the same day as 0.25 of lorazepam in the morning. I'm wondering if this may have caused my extreme anxiety the past couple of days,. It's seems such a low dose and barely has any effect on me! Lesson learnt I guess. Gotta get rid of this nasty nasty bigpharma pill!

Hmm stone kava is not in my little stash. Will try it ASAP!!

Rishi678

Kava Curious
Yeah good luck cutting back on the ativan!

I have never been on a benzo daily and don't plan on it, and I hear it can be tough and you have to go slowly, but I am sure kava can help to replace it at least a few times a week at the least.

I drank some kava last night and slept soooo well, in many ways its much better than a benzo and leaves me with an uplifted mood all the next day.

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
Yea getting off ativan is tough beyond words. One little stressful situation and tapering schedule is all messed up. So my aim is now to get over the residual fx of this last attack and start reducing again. I may even try the one day on/one day off approach and use kava on the days off.

I so long to wake up with an uplifted mood, rather than one of dread and apprehension! I envy you!

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
How long have you been taking the Ativan? .25mg is a very small dosage. What were you taking at your max? I have been a regular benzo user for a few years now, mostly Xanax and Klonopin. Kava has really helped me reduce my dependence on them, with the exception of sleep. I take them in pretty close proximity if I'm trying to get a full 8 hours of sleep. The short acting benzo gets me to sleep and the kava keeps me asleep when the Xanax wears off. This works so much better than my prior solution before finding kava, benzo + alcohol. No blackouts and I'm never concerned about whether I'll wake up after ;). Seriously, though, the kava keeps my benzo and alcohol use to a minimum, not optimal yet but I am getting there.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
How long have you been taking the Ativan? .25mg is a very small dosage. What were you taking at your max? I have been a regular benzo user for a few years now, mostly Xanax and Klonopin. Kava has really helped me reduce my dependence on them, with the exception of sleep. I take them in pretty close proximity if I'm trying to get a full 8 hours of sleep. The short acting benzo gets me to sleep and the kava keeps me asleep when the Xanax wears off. This works so much better than my prior solution before finding kava, benzo + alcohol. No blackouts and I'm never concerned about whether I'll wake up after ;). Seriously, though, the kava keeps my benzo and alcohol use to a minimum, not optimal yet but I am getting there.
I believe the phrase is "Progress, not perfection". That's great news! If kava reduces your dependence on anything, it's a win in my book.

wormwood

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks Rishi! Got to admit I have taken kava the same day as 0.25 of lorazepam in the morning. I'm wondering if this may have caused my extreme anxiety the past couple of days,. It's seems such a low dose and barely has any effect on me! Lesson learnt I guess. Gotta get rid of this nasty nasty bigpharma pill!

Hmm stone kava is not in my little stash. Will try it ASAP!!
Many people call Stone a favorite, but be warned, for me and for a few others, it can exacerbate anxiety a little bit. Everybody's physiology is different.

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
Thanks for the warning! I'm super sensitive so I think maybe I should give Stone a miss for now and stick with what I know works!

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Wow! is at least equal to stone in strength and is very powerful for anti-anxiety. I have no desire at all for a benzo when I drink it. It seems too strong for nightly drinking, though, for me. Could be I just drink too much of it since it works so well...

Geiourht

Kava Curious
For you daily hitters are you also guys who have had all clears on liver tests? and also what is your daily dosage?

Im more comfortable now about occasional use but wondering if its still like alcohol where you shouldnt overdo it or you get damage.

blindy107

Kava Lover
I've had two all clears in liver tests in two years. I drink poorly strained 1/4-1/2 cup of noble kava daily for anxiety and insomnia. Haven't ever been on meds for anxiety but I had bad reactions to anti depressant which left me anxious and homicidal. Also used kava to overcome "poopiness" post painkiller script for surgery.

helps you poop as well. A+

Rishi678

Kava Curious
I agree that "Wow" kava is a better choice than stone. Stone can be a little heady and intense for me, Wow is just right and very calm.