What's new

Just Got a Massive Sampler from N@H

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I used to work for FAO. They typically can't tell the difference between maize and sorghum.

Last edited:

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I wonder, I wonder, what would it take to make @Kavasseur consider changing his views if FAO, WHO, Lebot et al are not good enough. Perhaps personal stories? Such as the one by @shakas or @Kapmcrunk ? Or myself? I guess not.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I get it (at least I think I do). It's like Chik Filet restaurants losing business because a mob of people protest their establishment because they are for family values (anti-gay) which is not quite the same as someone not buying chicken from them because they would prefer to eat chinese. In the latter case it was a personal preference, in the former it was mob harrasment and disruption.
Protests usually attract new customers. That bakery made some big $ thanks to the publicity.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I wonder, I wonder, what would it take to make @Kavasseur consider changing his views if FAO, WHO, Lebot et al are not good enough. Perhaps personal stories? Such as the one by @shakas or @Kapmcrunk ? Or myself? I guess not.
I'd be interested to hear what shakas has to say now, or if it was a Tudei in particular that caused this issue, or if Kava was causing the issue at all.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Maybe Kavasseur would be willing to put a disclaimer under the reviews of known non-noble blends and tudei like:

NOTE: Tudei Kava is not traditionally consumed in kava drinking countries as a daily drinking kava. It's not recommended for daily drinking and may not agree with everyone. Therefore, be careful when considering consuming tudei kava and get the facts first! (link to page of facts about Tudei from Ni-Vanuatu sources as well as a US laboratories)

To highlight that these blends and forms of kava are outside the general drinking patterns of the vast majority of kava drinkers worldwide for millenia and provide context for the reviews. The reviewer likes what he likes, and likes some of these errant forms of kava as much as other more tradtionally consumed varieties. There's no accounting for taste, right?

I'm torn here, because Kavasseur took my burgeoning interest in kava and showed me that you can buy this stuff online and prepare it yourself. His video reviews of preparing, drinking, and reporting on effects gave me the go ahead to try it myself at home. That's how I got started down this path, found KavaForums, and began what I believe will be a lifelong love of kava. For that I will always be appreciative.

But as I got into kava and read, studied and learned more about it, I came to discover that there really IS "good" kava and "bad" kava. And the "bad" kava is really the result of an elaborate form of GRAFT by unscrupulous exporters and unscrupulous (or underinformed) resellers. I mean, none of us on here are drinking piper witchmanii, right? Not all plants are meant to be consumed by people. Belladonna berries, for instance.

The sad part for me is that Kavasseur has a great "bully pulpit" as Teddy Roosevelt used to say, to promote kava and help people understand the difference between noble, daily-drinking kava meant to be consumed like we like to consume it here on the forums and in kava bars, and non-noble kava that will most likely confuse consumers over the effects of kava. Lots of times I've seen people on the forums that start with BKH Koniak and then disappear. And I *think* I know why. It's marketed to sell well, and they get a bad first impression of what kava is and give up on it. Some of these people may get HUGE quality of life benefits from having good kava in their lives, but they gave up because what they drank made them feel like shit.

I wish we could all collectively use Kavasseur's bully pulpit for the promotion of modern testing and clean noble kava so that future kava users can ALL get on board. And that Kavasseur could act as an ambassador for safe daily drinking kava the world over. Even if he believes there's a place for tudei in the market, drawing the distinction and qualifying the opinions would do such a great service to the kava drinking community. Kava is blowing up now. Bars are popping up all over. The word is getting out. Now is the time for a strong unified message to promote what kinds of benefits that the islands have enjoyed forever. Seeing the word getting muddied makes me sad.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I'd be interested to hear what shakas has to say now, or if it was a Tudei in particular that caused this issue, or if Kava was causing the issue at all.
it was 100% kava causing it, it happens absolutely zero other times no matter what I do to myself, got a clean bill of health from my bloodwork this year anyway...
i can't say for sure what in the kava makes it happen, ive been drinking that same mystery waka since i got back from vanuatu and it's so brutal in comparison to what i was drinking out there, i can barely rip myself out of bed in the morning, my stomach bloats and churns as soon as i start drinking it, and if often makes me feel like im actually getting sick with the flu, but when it kicks in proper, with lesser side effects its strong and entrancing and I love it. it's truly a crime that we don't get to have fresh kava, its not drastically better(compared to good dry noble), but it is notably better in every way.
btw, my mystery waka ranges from testing completely noble to heavily, or at least half, adulterated at different times...it feels equally as strong and sedating even when it tests noble (medicinal 245xxx) as it does when its adulterated.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I think you make some great points, Steve. As I've said in other threads, I'm not opposed to folks testing Kava and labeling it. My main concern is with the institutionalization of these tests. You are telling me I have a bully pulpit, but I am far marginalized in this discussion as Deleted User has pointed out. I have seen no evidence against Tudei and I enjoy drinking it. Do I drink it on a Wednesday in the middle of the day? No. But in my reviews I usually mention something about a Kava being a weekday or weekend Kava. I don't recall Koniak being shockingly strong, so I can't speak to that specific example.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
it was 100% kava causing it, it happens absolutely zero other times no matter what I do to myself, got a clean bill of health from my bloodwork this year anyway...
i can't say for sure what in the kava makes it happen, ive been drinking that same mystery waka since i got back from vanuatu and it's so brutal in comparison to what i was drinking out there, i can barely rip myself out of bed in the morning, my stomach bloats and churns as soon as i start drinking it, and if often makes me feel like im actually getting sick with the flu, but when it kicks in proper, with lesser side effects its strong and entrancing and I love it. it's truly a crime that we don't get to have fresh kava, its not drastically better(compared to good dry noble), but it is notably better in every way.
btw, my mystery waka ranges from testing completely noble to heavily, or at least half, adulterated at different times...it feels equally as strong and sedating even when it tests noble (medicinal 245xxx) as it does when its adulterated.
How much of this stuff did you buy? Sounds like quite a Herculean task for you to get through it. I'd love to try a shell or six ;)

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Maybe Kavasseur would be willing to put a disclaimer under the reviews of known non-noble blends and tudei like:

NOTE: Tudei Kava is not traditionally consumed in kava drinking countries as a daily drinking kava. It's not recommended for daily drinking and may not agree with everyone. Therefore, be careful when considering consuming tudei kava and get the facts first! (link to page of facts about Tudei from Ni-Vanuatu sources as well as a US laboratories)
You had me with disclaimer, then lost me with dictating what the disclaimer should be (unless you really meant it as a suggestion).

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
How much of this stuff did you buy? Sounds like quite a Herculean task for you to get through it. I'd love to try a shell or six ;)
I buy it fairly frequently cuz it's available at my local Samoan market and it's 27 $ per pound... convenient, strong and priced well. But it's really gnarly to drink daily, it wears you down....I like to keep it around to add some DHM to my favorite nobles.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Also, if I had the bully pulpit vendors wouldn't be shutting down entire lines of Kava. It is clear that the testing mob are the ones who are bullying vendors into narrowing their products.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I buy it fairly frequently cuz it's available at my local Samoan market and it's 27 $ per pound... convenient, strong and priced well. But it's really gnarly to drink daily, it wears you down....I like to keep it around to add some DHM to my favorite nobles.
Sounds like I need to pay a visit to this Samoan market!

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
Sounds like I need to pay a visit to this Samoan market!
You can head up to Oloa Samoa in Oceanside and try theirs, I can't promise it's the same supply but I've been wanting to test that one out and see how it is. Let me know if you try it.