What's new

Just Got a Massive Sampler from N@H

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
N@H has designated me as guinea pig to try all kinds of new Kava that has been sourced. One of them is supposed to be an infamously strong Tudei from PNG :alien:

The others are a new Borugu and a 10 year Wow! Vanuatu root....

"Green Cubes" on top of all that.

Not sure if I'll be doing reviews of the three new ones, but I'll do a review of the limited edition Wow. All this stuff smells gnarly.

Pray for me!

::couch::

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Thanks a lot governments of pacific island nations, thanks a lot doctors of chemistry, botany and pharmaceutical biology, thanks a lot science, thanks a lot millennia of trial & error, thanks a lot millennia of native tradition, thanks a lot facts. ;)

jk jk not trying to start anything here...I'm actually stoked to hear your take on the WOW! and the PNG for that matter.
The longer I hang around and see new people start reviewing kavas, the more I see that reviews can't be taken too seriously, or at least can't be taken as gospel from any one person. Kavas interplay with each individuals unique body chemistry tends to change the reactions that different people have to the same kava.
I literally see people describe kavas that I feel are light and heady, as couch-locking sleep inducers....and vice-versa.
On top of that, I see people having their lid blown off from 4 Tablespoons, while I'm over here feeling somewhat let down at 10 Tbsp.
So, to a degree, I think reviews really should just be a bit of 'fanboy' fun...and taken with grain of...black sand. ::tanoa::
I'm tempted to hop on the Pacific Surfliner and suck down some of that stash with you. You can just roll me back onto the train when I'm done, I'm sure someone will wake me up by the time I get to Fullerton or Union Station.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Where are you?

And yes, I agree with your perspective on unique body chemistry. Very true.

That being said, I've had Kava before that I drank with three or four friends and it was useless. If I brew up a big bowl of Wow!, everyone is bound to feel something.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Where are you?

And yes, I agree with your perspective on unique body chemistry. Very true.

That being said, I've had Kava before that I drank with three or four friends and it was useless. If I brew up a big bowl of Wow!, everyone is bound to feel something.
I'm in LA/OC area...WOW! is a beast of kava and might be one of the best representations of kava in it's dry powdered form. The difference that might come into play though, is that I feel it's effects to be on the groggy, drudgy side...while someone else will praise how heady and motivating it feels to them. But yes, everyone should feel something from WOW!, or else something is wrong in the world.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
True Kava has had no communication with N@H, and as far as I know they make all marketing decisions of their own free will. I expect they have compared the information supplied by many sources (including you) and made choices which align with their own beliefs. If you have information to the contrary, I'm sure members would love to hear it.
Well, they basically said they weren't selling it online because of all the controversy around Tudei. And they used to clearly label there Kava "Tudei." In other words, we now have a more limited variety of Kava to choose from. Paradise Kava used to also sell a really good Isa but you mobbed them out as well.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Yes, it was a Tudei from PNG.

My understanding is that they took away the option for us to buy it because of the testers. They still serve it at the nakamal in Boca Raton, Florida.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Nobody here forced them to stop selling tudei. In fact, they have a very, very limited presence here.

Unless you mean that they stopped selling tudei because more people are aware of its bad rep (partially thanks to @Deleted User and our online community0 and try to avoid it. But that's like being angry at scientists for discovering that trans fats aren't great because the outcome of this discovery is that fewer people want to eat them and consequently fewer restaurants use them. Or angry at those guys who discovered that asbestos isn't fantastic and consequently we have "limited options" when it comes to home insulation.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Nobody here forced them to stop selling tudei. In fact, they have a very, very limited presence here.

Unless you mean that they stopped selling tudei because more people are aware of its bad rep (partially thanks to @Deleted User and our online community0 and try to avoid it. But that's like being angry at scientists for discovering that trans fats aren't great because the outcome of this discovery is that fewer people want to eat them and consequently fewer restaurants use them. Or angry at those guys who discovered that asbestos isn't fantastic and consequently we have "limited options" when it comes to home insulation.
Well, it's not exactly like trans fats. Trans fats have been proven to be very bad for you. Tudei has not. And asbestos? That's a whole different level of horror.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Well, it's not exactly like trans fats. Trans fats have been proven to be very bad for you. Tudei has not. And asbestos? That's a whole different level of horror.
Leading scientists in the field recommend against using tudei. I suppose that's enough for most consumers, especially in light of the numerous reports of bad side-effects. And I am not surprised they might prefer to buy from those who adhere to the current scientific and political consensus.

With or without True Kava, tudei has a bad rep around the Pacific. Scientists don't like it either. So, I guess most consumers of this "exotic" botanical prefer to err on the side of caution and just go for the type of kavas that have been safely consumed for millennia. Call them paranoid or stupid, but most people are too busy to run long-term experiments to find out whether their bodies have a rare type of chemistry that is fine with long-term tudei consumption.

Calling Garry a "pseudo-scientist" is just nasty, especially when it's coming from a guy who seems to be skeptical about the Western ideas of "science" and "knowledge" and who calls himself a social scientist/anthropologist. If you have an issue with any part of Garry's research methodology or research outcomes, then let's hear it.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Well, what if someone likes trans fats? Or finds asbestos very cheap and useful? Don't you think their choice is limited because of all those scientists?
You might say: hey, but people can find good and safe alternatives to trans fats and asbestos. But that's precisely what we say about kava: you can find good and noble alternatives, so why take the risk..

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Getting mobbed and accused of being a public health menace by amateur scientists is different than responding to market demands.
I get it (at least I think I do). It's like Chik Filet restaurants losing business because a mob of people protest their establishment because they are for family values (anti-gay) which is not quite the same as someone not buying chicken from them because they would prefer to eat chinese. In the latter case it was a personal preference, in the former it was mob harrasment and disruption.